Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

281 - 300 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why does it cost $1600 to replace the injectors? I found the factory parts for less than $400, Labor is 2.5 hours. PROFIT is what the dealers want. Honda, last purchase, going to Toyota.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Why does it cost $1600 to replace the injectors? I found the factory parts for less than $400, Labor is 2.5 hours. PROFIT is what the dealers want. Honda, last purchase, going to Toyota.
Honda's flat rate time to diagnose the problem is 0.2 hours and 2.2 hours to replace the injectors for a total of 2.4 hours labor. Typical dealer labor is about $150/hr., so that's about $360 in labor. The injectors retail for $351. You also need a fuel join pipe set for $115 (the part is not reusable), two $18 gaskets, a $7 gasket, an $8 gasket, a $14 seal, and an $11 EGR pipe gasket. There's also "shop supplies" (towels, chemicals, etc.) and the dealer is free to charge however much labor they think they can get away with. Add tax on top of that and you're around $1,000. That's how much this repair should cost. Honda can't control what their dealers charge. $1,600 is simply too much. Go to another dealer, an independent shop, or do it yourself. You might even point out all this to the dealer and ask why they're charing $1,600 for a $1,000 (tops) repair.

It's worth noting that several owners have reported Honda covering most or all of the cost of injector replacement under goodwill, although the TSBs do not officially extend the warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My emission light was going on, then off for over a year. Every time it went on I was ready to call the dealer and then it would go off. Finally it came on and stayed on last month. Took it to the dealer and it was an out of spec injector on the rear bank. They cannot replace 1 injector, have to do all 3. Good news, powertrain warranty covered it 100%. 55,000 miles, bought in July 2016. So far, no reoccurrence.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
My emission light was going on, then off for over a year. Every time it went on I was ready to call the dealer and then it would go off. Finally it came on and stayed on last month. Took it to the dealer and it was an out of spec injector on the rear bank. They cannot replace 1 injector, have to do all 3. Good news, powertrain warranty covered it 100%. 55,000 miles, bought in July 2016. So far, no reoccurrence.
Honda's direct injectors come only as a set of 6 (or 4). Their port injectors are sold individually.

The fuel injectors are not covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty. Assuming you're in North Carolina which is not one of the 13 states that follow the 7/70 California Emissions Warranty, your 3/36 warranty was expired, and the vehicle was not covered by Honda Care, then Honda covered the cost of your injectors under goodwill.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I get to join this club. I start my engine to head home for lunch, and the information board lights up like a Christmas tree. AWD, Engine light, Lane Departure, everything reporting an issue, but the truck runs fine as far as I can tell. I take it to the dealer.

The dealer says the truck was reporting injector issues on cylinder 1 & 2. Lucky I'm under warranty, so repairs are covered. Possible issue with battery, but they want to fix the injectors first and see if the code reappears.

Will update later.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I get to join this club. I start my engine to head home for lunch, and the information board lights up like a Christmas tree. AWD, Engine light, Lane Departure, everything reporting an issue, but the truck runs fine as far as I can tell. I take it to the dealer.

The dealer say the truck was reporting injector issues on cylinder 1 & 2. Lucky I'm under warranty, so repairs are covered. Possible issue with battery, but they want to fix the injectors first and see if the code reappears.

Will update later.
If it threw the P219A/B or specific codes related to the injectors, the dealers are well versed in that. My 2017 just had the check engine light prior to injector replacement and I read those codes myself (and cleared twice just to confirm). Fortunately, in NY I was covered by the 7/70 warranty.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If it threw the P219A/B or specific codes related to the injectors, the dealers are well versed in that. My 2017 just had the check engine light prior to injector replacement and I read those codes myself (and cleared twice just to confirm). Fortunately, in NY I was covered by the 7/70 warranty.
I don't know what the specific code was, but they called me two hours later, saying they replaced all the injectors, per the usual practice, and that the battery was bad, so they replaced it, too. Gillman Honda in Houston has done me right everytime I've gone in for service. I've got to give them credit for that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't know what the specific code was, but they called me two hours later, saying they replaced all the injectors, per the usual practice, and that the battery was bad, so they replaced it, too. Gillman Honda in Houston has done me right everytime I've gone in for service. I've got to give them credit for that.
Turns out that it was P219A/B, and the dealer replaced all the injectors and the rail. The battery also went bad, so it was replaced, too. The engine seems to run smoother, a lot smoother. I didn't realize how rough it had been running.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the emissions warning light come on last week. After that, the remote start would not stay on. Took it to Honda, they called me a couple hours later, said two fuel injectors were bad and replaced them. I have over 60k on my truck, but they said that was covered up to 80k miles so it cost nothing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
ZRoger73: I take it from your post above (#284), that a HondaCare policy will pay for the replacement of defective fuel injectors (assuming that one doesn't live in one of the states that mandates the work be done without cost)? I ask because I'm on the cusp of buying a HondaCare policy, and this -- the potential cost of this specific repair-- is what I'm concerned about down the road. I do a lot of my own maintenance so I doubt that American Honda will consider a "goodwill" repair if push comes to shove, despite my having bought a dozen or more new Hondas in years past.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
ZRoger73: I take it from your post above (#284), that a HondaCare policy will pay for the replacement of defective fuel injectors (assuming that one doesn't live in one of the states that mandates the work be done without cost)? I ask because I'm on the cusp of buying a HondaCare policy, and this -- the potential cost of this specific repair-- is what I'm concerned about down the road. I do a lot of my own maintenance so I doubt that American Honda will consider a "goodwill" repair if push comes to shove, despite my having bought a dozen or more new Hondas in years past.

Thanks in advance.
That is correct. Fuel injectors are a covered component under Honda Care. Some owners have reported being told by their dealers that coverage for the fuel injectors has been extended to 8/80, but Honda has not publicly released such information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately, I have incurred the same emission warning problem: error code P219B
2017 model purchased in 2016, 42500 miles (Texas). What are the chances Honda covers this?

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Unfortunately, I have incurred the same emission warning problem: error code P219B
2017 model purchased in 2016, 42500 miles (Texas). What are the chances Honda covers this?
Depends on your dealer, how many Hondas you've owned, how many warranty claims you've had, and how much money you've spent on maintenance and repairs at a Honda dealer.

Several people have said their dealers told them Honda has been covering this issue for 8/80, but I've never seen that in writing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Depends on your dealer, how many Hondas you've owned, how many warranty claims you've had, and how much money you've spent on maintenance and repairs at a Honda dealer.

Several people have said their dealers told them Honda has been covering this issue for 8/80, but I've never seen that in writing.
Thank you. This is my third Honda -- although all purchased at different dealers and at different points of time. My last Honda had various small issues and required a battery change every 2 years. This will be my last if Honda does not cover this common faulty part of theirs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Over on the Pilot forum it’s been reported that a warranty extension has been released for 2016 Pilots (10yrs/150K). Hopefully this will be extended to RLs too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My emissions problem light came on and I took it to Stockton 12 Honda in Salt Lake. They said it was faulty fuel injectors. They are not blocked but allowing too much gas into the system causing excess emissions. My vehicle is a 2017 Ridgeline RTL-T with 45,000 miles. I have a long commute to work. Anyway, they want $1,500 to replace the injectors and associated equipment. I have used "Ethanol clear gas since purchasing the vehicle. The service rep said it is been a common problem for Ridgelines and Pilots with high miles in a short period of time.
I have read that Honda admitted that injectors were trash contaminated at the factory causing premature wear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update: Honda Ridgeline 2017, 42500, P219B, Texas, out of 3/36 warranty

Dealer says the problem was caused by fuel injectors and will replace them free of charge. It seems Honda now covers similar faulty injectors at the national level. And fuel injectors are backordered.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline AWD RTL-T
95 Posts
This being a long thread, can anyone narrow it down to the model years affected? Or VIN numbers perhaps?

281 - 300 of 323 Posts