Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Administrator
14,052 Posts
Something is amiss with this injector saga. I'm not buying Honda's assessment of debris being the only problem. If the majority of injectors do not fail with the original part number it would be highly unlikely that the replacement injector even with the original part number would fail again. My theory is that there is something unique to the vehicle in its fuel system that causes the injectors downstream to fail. Or there is some sort of a perfect storm scenario that when met the injectors fail. Honda doesn't seem to have a grasp on this meanwhile consumers shell out big bucks for a trial and error fix. @zroger73, if the numbers are small, why doesn't Honda simply replace the injectors and keep customers happy? By your estimation if the numbers are in the hundreds let's just round it up to 1,000 vehicles and $1500 repair that 1.5 million, peanuts! Same for the tailgate harness. This makes Honda look really cheap. And yes other manufacturers have issues as well but Honda's indifference to keep a customer is disappointing. Not surprising though, the oil issue in the CRV is a much bigger deal IMO and Honda claimed arrogance until Consumer Reports got involved.
That $1.5M is someone's bonus. :)

Despite the owner complaints and CR's reporting of the CR-V's oil dilution issue, it doesn't appear to have had any significant impact on sales. The model continues to sell like hotcake - sales have been up consistently every year since 2009 and are up 3.3% for 2019 as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went in to dealer for my 3rd oil change at about 22k miles. They tried to sell me a fuel injector cleaning. I thought they were concerned with keeping intake valves clean. I also thought it would not be needed as I use Top tier gas and have read on this forum how Honda spritzes intake valve during intake cycle to keep it clean.

I was wrong.

I searched for fuel injector service and found this thread on 2016 Pilots that had fuel injectors fail at around 40k miles. The thread starts in late 2017. There was one post that said Acura MDX which uses same engine had no issue and uses Premium gas. Then another replied that the MDX uses different injectors. So I decided to look into what was going on.

The Pilot injector party no is now listed as 16010-RLV-315.

The 2017 Ridgeline lists 2 part numbers: 16010-RLV-305 and 16010-RLV-315.

The 2019 Ridgeline only list only 16010-RLV-315.

A post on the Pilot thread mentioned the injectors had been redesigned, thus the transition from -305 to -315.

Seems to me that early Ridgelines were built with problematic-305 injectors and may be vulnerable to premature failure.

NOTE: Depending on your state. injectors may not be covered by extended warranty. Some states enforce emissions warranties.

I don't know how to tell which part is in my 2017 I picked up in January of that year. So I guess I have to get injector service to cover my butt if they fail.

Comments, Suggestions?

Dan

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
You have the 305 injectors if they are original equipment. This has been thoroughly covered in another recent thread. You should consider getting the extended warranty if that is still possible.

I'm not sure injector cleaning will solve the issue. What are they charging? You may be better off waiting to see if you have a failure, then ask Honda (corporate, not the dealer) to foot at least part of the bill to get the newer 315 injectors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the CEL come on recently. Pulled the code p0430. I saw the TSB for the reprogramming and brought it to the dealership this morning. Got the call that they are replacing the injectors and pipe at no charge. Truck has 44,500 miles on it and is a 2017.

I had my first Honda/Acura lemon just recently with the 2009 TSX. It had every fault known to the car and I mean all of them. The bottom end was rebuilt under warranty due to oil consumption issues. A little over a year later the engine let go. Rod knock/spun bearing. Probably from always running low on oil. Sold the husk and cursed the fact that my 9th Honda product was a lemon. I do hope this Ridgeline is not a lemon sequel.

Shame I can't buy the Honda Care warranty at this point. I guess they know if you want to buy it now you realize your car is in trouble.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Had the CEL come on recently. Pulled the code p0430. I saw the TSB for the reprogramming and brought it to the dealership this morning. Got the call that they are replacing the injectors and pipe at no charge. Truck has 44,500 miles on it and is a 2017.

I had my first Honda/Acura lemon just recently with the 2009 TSX. It had every fault known to the car and I mean all of them. The bottom end was rebuilt under warranty due to oil consumption issues. A little over a year later the engine let go. Rod knock/spun bearing. Probably from always running low on oil. Sold the husk and cursed the fact that my 9th Honda product was a lemon. I do hope this Ridgeline is not a lemon sequel.

Shame I can't buy the Honda Care warranty at this point. I guess they know if you want to buy it now you realize your car is in trouble.
Was your emissions warranty expired?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My emissions problem light came on and I took it to Stockton 12 Honda in Salt Lake. They said it was faulty fuel injectors. They are not blocked but allowing too much gas into the system causing excess emissions. My vehicle is a 2017 Ridgeline RTL-T with 45,000 miles. I have a long commute to work. Anyway, they want $1,500 to replace the injectors and associated equipment. I have used "Ethanol clear gas since purchasing the vehicle. The service rep said it is been a common problem for Ridgelines and Pilots with high miles in a short period of time.
Same thing occurred with my 2018 @ 25K miles. I can't believe it and my confidence in Honda is shattered. Beginning to think I should have bought the Toyota Tacoma now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was your emissions warranty expired?
For the TSX? Not sure. Im sure I could have had the dealer look at it but I was so over that car. It had every known flaw that they offered.

The Ridgeline is back to good again. Injectors and fuel pipes replaced. Thanks Autopark Honda in Cary for covering all of it.

·
Administrator
14,052 Posts
For the TSX? Not sure. Im sure I could have had the dealer look at it but I was so over that car. It had every known flaw that they offered.

The Ridgeline is back to good again. Injectors and fuel pipes replaced. Thanks Autopark Honda in Cary for covering all of it.
Just to clarify... Honda is covering the cost of the repair, not your dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My emissions problem light came on and I took it to Stockton 12 Honda in Salt Lake. They said it was faulty fuel injectors. They are not blocked but allowing too much gas into the system causing excess emissions. My vehicle is a 2017 Ridgeline RTL-T with 45,000 miles. I have a long commute to work. Anyway, they want $1,500 to replace the injectors and associated equipment. I have used "Ethanol clear gas since purchasing the vehicle. The service rep said it is been a common problem for Ridgelines and Pilots with high miles in a short period of time.
The dreaded emissions problem check light came on in my 2018 Ridgeline RTL yesterday. Truck is almost exactly 2 years old with 21,800 miles. I came home, did a google search and this thread popped up. I Called the dealer and brought it in this morning. Half and hour later they gave me the news I expected: Fuel injectors will be replaced this Tuesday. I'll post an update if I experience or find anything that you all haven't already covered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There have been a few reports of fuel injector replacements on 2016 Pilots and I believe I've seen one 2017 Ridgeline on here that got new injectors. The part number for the injector set has changed from 16010-RLV-305 to 16010-RLV-315.
I am in a Honda dealership right now getting the fuel injectors in my 2017 Ridgeline replaced. ☹ Just 32k miles on the truck (I just bought it 2 weeks ago). It’s covered under warranty, but it’s still disappointing. Honda is supposed to build great engines.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
386 Posts
I am in a Honda dealership right now getting the fuel injectors in my 2017 Ridgeline replaced. ☹ Just 32k miles on the truck (I just bought it 2 weeks ago). It’s covered under warranty, but it’s still disappointing. Honda is supposed to build great engines.
This is interesting. I’ve been under the assumption from things I’ve read that injectors are normally found to be plugged with metal shavings, so they were restricted. Which has led some to discuss whether this was a fuel pump issue putting debris into the fuel system.
But you’re saying that yours were faulty because they were allowing excessive fuel. Hmmm

·
Administrator
14,052 Posts
This is interesting. I’ve been under the assumption from things I’ve read that injectors are normally found to be plugged with metal shavings, so they were restricted. Which has led some to discuss whether this was a fuel pump issue putting debris into the fuel system.
But you’re saying that yours were faulty because they were allowing excessive fuel. Hmmm
Debris can cause insufficient fuel flow if it clogs passages.

Debris can cause excessive fuel flow by if it prevents the needle from seating or wears the needle seat over time.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
386 Posts
Debris can cause insufficient fuel flow if it clogs passages.

Debris can cause excessive fuel flow by if it prevents the needle from seating or wears the needle seat over time.
Good point.. 👍🏻
I sure hope they fixed the problem with the introduction of the 315 injectors. 🤞🏻

·
Registered
3 Posts
The million dollar question is how does changing the injectors solve the metal shavings from fuel pump problem?

Just to clarify... Honda is covering the cost of the repair, not your dealer.
Ah yes, I agree. I am well out of warranty and they didn't give me any trouble at all about it. Probably the best service department I've been to over the course of owning 10 Honda/Acura products in my life.

·
Administrator
14,052 Posts
The million dollar question is how does changing the injectors solve the metal shavings from fuel pump problem?
Hopefully, the manufacturing debris will have already flushed out of the system and accumulated in the injectors by the time they need replaced so that they do not get re-contaminated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So I posted another thread where I had gotten close to 100k miles with my G2 Ridgeline and never had the fuel injector issue. I drove my truck really hard, with a lot of full throttle 0-60 and a TON of towing with extended full throttle near redline. I would be willing to bet that most everyone who is having the issue is pretty conservative in their driving habits. If you don't drive the vehicle aggressively with the engine at high RPM then you are never using the full fuel flow and it's way easier for the injectors to clog.

Mazdas recent RX8 had a similar issue with it's oil injectors clogging. Everyone who drove the car aggressively or even raced it have zero issues. Where people who drove it conservatively would have the issue.

·
Administrator
14,052 Posts
So I posted another thread where I had gotten close to 100k miles with my G2 Ridgeline and never had the fuel injector issue. I drove my truck really hard, with a lot of full throttle 0-60 and a TON of towing with extended full throttle near redline. I would be willing to bet that most everyone who is having the issue is pretty conservative in their driving habits. If you don't drive the vehicle aggressively with the engine at high RPM then you are never using the full fuel flow and it's way easier for the injectors to clog.

Mazdas recent RX8 had a similar issue with it's oil injectors clogging. Everyone who drove the car aggressively or even raced it have zero issues. Where people who drove it conservatively would have the issue.
Given that the debris that is clogging the injectors or causing them to leak is likely metallic as inferred from the TSB, it's unlikely that driving style will have any effect on this issue. No amount of gasoline or fuel system cleaner flowing through the fuel system will dissolve metal. :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
To add to the info in this thread: I pulled a second P219A (fuel/air imbalance on bank 1) and the freeze frame I did (attached) shows the negative fuel trim/rich condition that triggered the MIL and code.

I will battle this through with Honda (I started a case just to document it - no trip to the dealer yet). The reality is I have yet to see any drivability issues but I know they are coming unless the 'snake oil' Techron clears enough deposits (doubtful).

I know I'm tight on the 70,000 miles we get in NY (at 65,300 now) but is why I started the process. I assume and accept that the G2 will not be as bullet proof as my G1 (since 60k I've already replaced a tranny pressure switch myself for $55 and 45 mins of my labor).
UPDATE: Just got the 18-025 fuel injector TSB done (under the 7 yr/70k NY State required warranty), so $0 to me. Took until just under 67,000 to get another P219A code to set the MIL off. 3 times the code was thrown total and made sure I didn't erase (the MIL did go out the same day but the code was stored of course).

No hassles from the dealer. I had talked to Honda Customer Service and got a case number prior. Brad, the master tech at this dealer, immediately knew a P219A would require this TSB. I had a consistent rich condtion on bank 1 - the rear 3 cylinders - and I documented it with my OBD reader and printed the freeze frame data each time the code triggered.

So, my scenario was cut and dried and glad I got it close to the 70k warranty limit. Hopefully the fuel pump bits are done clogging and the damage was all done to the removed injectors and fuel rails. IF so, I should be good for another 60k miles or so. On the bad side, Brad said it has happened a lot on all Hondas with the 3.5 DI engine. I got the feeling doing an injector change on the 3.5 DI was like doing an oil change for him and the guys.

That doesn't bode well unless the new injectors are somehow better. The fuel injector set part# is one digit different and Brad didn't seem real convinced that it was a new and improved part. The good side is the TSB requires a lot of new parts which the dealer is required to use to get reimbursed by Honda. I left it overnight because 2 small fuel rail gaskets were not in stock and they wanted to do it by the book (and I wanted that too).

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Yikes, I was hoping the new part number would be a redesigned piece to fix the problem but from what I read on the forum (Mtman Pilot reference of some with multiple injector replacements and now the tech's comments) it seems like it's trending to the issue not being fixed. Maybe this explains why there is no official warranty extension.. My thinking is that the J35 will need a rework of the fuel system to continue on in future Pilots, etc or be scrapped altogether for something else.. Just look at what Toyota is doing with a Hybrid only powertrain in the Venza.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with 17 Ridgeline sport after about 6 weeks of owning (used). Service department at the dealership said similarly; Ridgeline and pilots have faulty parts. Same price to fix

161 - 180 of 193 Posts