Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The truck is a 2019 that I bought in November. I drive a company truck during the week, so it doesn't see much use - only 1500 miles on it now. Definitely almost no miles the past 10 weeks with the virus ordeal. I decided to spend my spare time at home detailing the truck.

I started on this project back in January and applied L1 leather guard to the interior. I also polished all the glass with C4 and added C1 and C2. So far the L1 is completely unnoticeable, in a good way. I suppose it is doing it's job. It didn't have a bad odor or change the color or texture of the leather. The glass didn't really need a polish, but I wanted the best surface possible for the coating. I can say, it has done a great job. Glass is easy to keep clean and little to no water spotting. Can drive in light rain with no need for the wipers.

I coated the paint in Crystal Serum Light and added 2 coats of EXO v4 on top of that. It requires temps above 50°, so I wasn't able to do it when I did the other coatings. The process pretty spanned 3 days. Friday, I did a 2 bucket wash with a cleaner\stripper soap and then cleaned it with W6 Fall Out and Iron remover. To prep for paint correct, I clay barred the paint and left it to set overnight. Saturday, I machine polished with Meguiar's M205 to correct the paint. I had a few spots that required M105, but I was able to get everything fixed.

I have polished many times, but never used ceramic. I did a lot of research and decided Gtechniq was the way to go for the DIY with high quality results. This coating is classified between professional and consumer level. The CSL went on like rubbing oil on the paint. It is easy to see where you have applied it. It took me a minute to get the hang of telling when it had flashed and was ready to wiped off. It comes off clean and easy. I used 2 separate towels to spread and level the coating.

I took my time and though I was doing great, but while I was doing a door panel, I noticed the fender had streaks and little dots all over it. Mostly only noticeable when I used my detailing light. I tried to apply a light coat of ceramic to see if it would blend in and level back out. I did not. I was slightly worried. I stopped coating and decided to polish the affected area back down before the ceramic cured too much. I was able to remove the high spots and defects with M205. I then wiped the area back down with Panel Wipe and reapplied CSL. I was relieved to see that it looked as good as the rest of the panels.

With as much time as I took going around the truck and having to stop to redo the fender, I went straight into putting EXO over the CSL. This went on easier than CSL and the process was pretty much the same. It does not require a cure time before adding a second coat, so I did 2 coats without stopping. This wrapped up my Saturday. So, I left the trim panels for Sunday.

Sunday, I wiped down all the trim panels down with panel wipe and stared coating it with C4 Trim Restorer. No the panels didn't need restoring, but all the same, this game them a nice rich color and now they are protected from fading. I did all the trim around the bottom, the trim behind the doors, the door panels, the grill and the top trim section around the bed. I managed to use the entire bottle. I used a little more than half, maybe 3/4 of the CSL and EXO.

I still have the wheels to do, but I got a little burnt out and didn't feel like putting the truck up on stands. So, I still have a C5 Wheel Armor kit to apply. Overall, I am happy with the Gtechniq products. My main goal is to make cleaning the truck easier. It lives in a garage and doesn't get out much. I will update the thread as time passes to show how the coating it holding up and what my opinions are as time goes on.

This is a reflection of my little garage buddy in the door panel.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for posting your thoughts/comments on the process.

I was in the same boat when I bought my new vehicles recently, and decided no to go the coating route.
After reading Autogeek forum posts and several Youtube comparisons, I couldn't justify the expense and complexity of coatings. They don't seem to live up to the longevity hype in the real world. I ended up going with Sonax PNS and BDS, which is substantially cheaper, super simple to apply, and lasts amazingly long for what it is.

But given your driving style, there is no doubt this coating will last you several years.
Good luck and let us know what you think of it over time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I was going to coat the wheels yesterday, but no luck with safely lifting the truck. I suppose, I could have done them one at a time, but I would rather take all 4 wheels off and do them at the same time.

I have a ranger quickjack that worked great with my last two cars, but they were sports cars. The quickjack I have won't reach the lift point or lift high enough, but that is a no go. I have the 3500 model.

My floor jack couldn't get the front off the ground. I tried using one of the large rubber blocks from my quickjack to get the extra height, but it just wasn't enough and was looking like the pressure was about to launch the block off the top of the jack.

I ordered a Daytona 3 Ton low profile jack. It lifts to 20", the price is right and they have great reviews. I was torn between the low profile and the low profile long reach. I don't think I need a long reach so I saved $50 and got the low profile. Shipping is only $7, so I decided to go that route.

Now I am pondering jack stands. My 3 Ton stands max out about 16" and while they may get the job done, I don't like the idea of using them fully extended. So I am looking at get a set of these "3 Ton SUV" jack stands that go from 14" to 20-1/2". I feel like 3 Ton per axle is plenty, so this is a cheaper option that buying 6 Ton stands.

·
Registered
2018 Touring (🍁) - Deep Scarlet Pearl
99 Posts
I ordered a Daytona 3 Ton low profile jack.
Looks like the jack you ordered has a rubber lifting pad. If you're lifting the truck at the front or rear central lift points, you'll want to protect that pad with something (hockey puck) or it will get sliced like mine did. See this thread.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the SUV jack stands from Amazon and tried to save a few $ by ordering "Used - Like New". Well, one set has damage to the box and the stands have minor scuffs - no problem. The other box looks like it fell off a truck going down the highway at 80 mph. The stands are pretty dinged up and one of the corners has more damage to it that I can accept. Amazon will be sending another set.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First rain since the coating was applied. Out of curiosity, I plugged in a leaf blower and was able to blow all the water off in about 20 mins. The truck looks just like it did before the rain.

·
Registered
169 Posts
First rain since the coating was applied. Out of curiosity, I plugged in a leaf blower and was able to blow all the water off in about 20 mins. The truck looks just like it did before the rain.
Looks really nice. I haven't had mine out in the rain since I applied my silicone coating a month or two ago. Yours looks great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts