Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this exsist? If it doesn't considering designing one that would allow full function of the tailgate but also have a spare mounted on the tailgate as far to the hinge side as possible, would anyone be interested in this?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,894 Posts
Admitting I had brief thoughts along similar lines upon recently getting my full-size spare.

With that spare in-hand to allow convenient measurement and 'hefting' I looked at ...
  • How high the spare would need to be mounted to clear the bumper with the tailgate 'drop-opened'
  • How far to center the spare would need to be mounted to clear the sidewall with the gate 'swing-opened'
  • The effect on rear-view of the (significant) portion of the spare above the top of the tailgate when driving
  • Thought about affect of the (substantial) weight, mounted (high) as required to clear everything, on tailgate operation in 'drop mode'
  • Thought about the long-term potential effect of that weight on all the tailgate components (hinges, latches, gate-shell itself) in consideration of rough roads and bumps encountered over time
…. and quickly banished the thought from my mind.

'YMMV' but I don't think it's a practical option - too many functional compromises and too much long-term structural risk involved.

A purpose-built swing-away tire-rack that is bolted to the bed outside in front of the taillight, carrying the spare independent of the tailgate, could mitigate many of those compromises / risks. You've probably seen such on other vehicles as I have. But that's a different animal with it's own set of pros and cons, a big con being that you can't drive with the tailgate dropped (why that type is seen on SUVs, not on pickups).

Reactions: SpunSquirrel

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe that there is a mount on the inside of the bed, favoring the drivers side, if you want to carry a full-size spare. Other than that, you're going to have to get creative with a welder to make your dream come true. I also think that adding that much weight to the tailgate would end badly. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
FYI using ^that pic^ and spare location relative to the rear window as a reference, a spare mounted on the outside of the tailgate would need to be ~4" toward the vehicle centerline and ~6" higher to clear everything in both modes of tailgate operation.

It's a big hunk of rubber, won't fit in the gap above the bumper/below the tailgate when the gate is dropped - has the be located high enough to pass behind the bumper when the gate is dropped.

A similar situation on the side because of how the tailgate left edge moves forward of the sidewall when it's swing-opened.

Reactions: SpunSquirrel

·
Premium Member
4,230 Posts
There is a swing-away tire mount that attaches to the 2" receiver hitch. It swings out of the way of the tailgate, so that you can still swing it open. Google Hitchgate, and i think Ridgerunner may make one, also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@SpunSquirrel "I believe that there is a mount on the inside of the bed, favoring the drivers side, if you want to carry a full-size spare."
I like the idea of the external full size mount, but your pic ^ shows it still tends to reduce the sight-line through the rear view. I wonder if it would be practical to fabricate a mount that holds the tire parallel with the sidewall of the truck bed behind the drivers side? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I wonder if it would be practical to fabricate a mount that holds the tire parallel with the sidewall of the truck bed behind the drivers side? :unsure:
Can't imagine why not if that's a better location for you. (y)

Since for me its intended use is when towing the RV far from home, I'm trying to decide if fabricating a mount to hang it on the trailer (along with the trailer spare) is my best 'solution'.

For such a 'small' truck it is a big wheel / tire to 'hide' :LOL:

·
Registered
39 Posts
@SpunSquirrel "I believe that there is a mount on the inside of the bed, favoring the drivers side, if you want to carry a full-size spare."
I like the idea of the external full size mount, but your pic ^ shows it still tends to reduce the sight-line through the rear view. I wonder if it would be practical to fabricate a mount that holds the tire parallel with the sidewall of the truck bed behind the drivers side? :unsure:
If you were ok with replacing the top two drivers side tie-down mounts, you could use them to install the needed hardware/mount for the spare in that location.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just notice that it would pretty much be in my blindspot and not blocking any rear view in the mirror if it were along the side of the bed...you still have to climb up in the bed to access it anyway.
I like the idea for the trailer mount, as long as the trailer doesn't decide to continue on through an intersection when you make a left turn...:oops::)

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,113 Posts
Tailgate mount is not advised as it interferes with it's opening and rear license plate. You can modify the LC location, but does not negate the 65/70lb wheel/tire hanging on the gate with no real structure within the gate to support it.

As @longboat suggested, the hitch mount is a viable option. It is still less intrusive to carry it in the tray, but it's a G2 so gotta be creative. Roof and bed carriers are logistical issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did the hitchgate on mine. Made a harness and mounted the camera to the hitchgate, to go back to oem camera just open tailgate backup and reconnect.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Did the hitchgate on mine. Made a harness and mounted the camera to the hitchgate, to go back to oem camera just open tailgate backup and reconnect.

View attachment 395485
More pics of the hitchgate? I've been looking into other options other than Wilco, I'm very interested in this idea. Which model did you go with? How much room is there between the tailgate and the spare tire?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts