Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these topics have already been discussed in different threads, but I figured I would share my experience for anyone looking for the same thing I was. What I was looking for was to have a full size spare on an identical rim with TPMS sensor to be able to change a flat without worrying about swapping the wheels back asap and do a 5 wheel rotation once I get new tires.

I purchased a used wheel and a used tire from members here and ordered a new TPMS sensor online (don't remember which site). Finally got the wheel assembled yesterday and did the testing today.

First, I deflated one of the tires on the truck until the TPMS warning came on and displayed the correct tire. I then changed that wheel to my new spare and put the deflated wheel into the spot for the spare in the trunk. The wheel indicator turned off, but the TPMS warning was still on. I drove around the block (about 1/2 mile) and sure enough the TPMS indicator went off, meaning the system learned the new sensor and was not bothered by the original deflated wheel in the trunk. Next, I just re-inflated the original wheel and swapped them back.

Basically, my little experiment showed that you CAN have a full size spare with TPMS sensor and not worry about it interfering with the system before or after you get a flat. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I notice that this experiment was done on a 2006 model year. It is a valid observation and a valuable bit of information for the forum community. However, I still haven't seen anyone verify this for the 2009 and up RT and RTS models. When I got my full size spare the dealer wouldn't install the TPMS because he said I was wasting my money as I would still need a service call to initiate the new sensor into the onboard computer. I'd like to prove him wrong, but now I have a TPMS-less spare so I can't duplicate this test :act051:

Oh well.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I notice that this experiment was done on a 2006 model year. It is a valid observation and a valuable bit of information for the forum community. However, I still haven't seen anyone verify this for the 2009 and up RT and RTS models. When I got my full size spare the dealer wouldn't install the TPMS because he said I was wasting my money as I would still need a service call to initiate the new sensor into the onboard computer.
I got the same story about having to pay the dealer to switch between all-season and winter tires. So, that's a nice service fee for them twice a year. There is another post somewhere here about the 2009 and newer models only supporting automatic registration in the RTL. However, my VP (Canadian version of RTS) did not require this. The dealer did the switch from all-season to winter tires, but not the other way. The all-seasons re-registered during a drive around the block.

It is possible that the VP has the RTL's re-registration component, or that it's a myth. I recommend doing what you like and having the dealer fix it only if needed.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I imagine the easiest and the cheapest way to test this with the new models is to find another owner with the truck of the same year and swap a wheel with it to see if the sensor will register.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I notice that this experiment was done on a 2006 model year. It is a valid observation and a valuable bit of information for the forum community. However, I still haven't seen anyone verify this for the 2009 and up RT and RTS models. When I got my full size spare the dealer wouldn't install the TPMS because he said I was wasting my money as I would still need a service call to initiate the new sensor into the onboard computer. I'd like to prove him wrong, but now I have a TPMS-less spare so I can't duplicate this test :act051:

Oh well.
I can verify this on an 09 RTS.

I bought accessory rims that came with new TPMS sensors -they self initialized.

I keep a full size spare with a TPMS sensor in the trunk and it does not interfere with the readout from the other wheels.

Furthermore, when I switched the spare to a wheel location - the onboard computer adjusted for the spare.

I have a friend at the dealership and he helped me verify this. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good to know.... Thanks!

I will be putting one of my original wheel and tire in the trunk this weekend. The donut has a weird crease in it..

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can verify this works on a 2007 RTL. I have a full sized spare with TPMS. When I had new tires put on, the Left Front wheel ended up as the spare and the original spare went to the left rear. Within a mile after leaving the shop all tires had registered. No problem with the TPMS. I have ldeflated the Left fron and Left rear (at seperate time of course) and the sensor indicated the correct tire. Also my dealer told me to run 34 lbs in the tires so I won't get fasle low pressure indications when the tires are cool or in the winter. Works great.

Dan

P.S. They will reset the TPMS for free any time I need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts