Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got one, after waiting a bit found someone willing to sell a single 17 inch rim.

Fits in the spare tire slot no problem, and the styrofoam holder for the tools fits perfectly on the little shelf in the trunk on the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,430 Posts
It's so cool that Gary Flint created enough space to hold a full-size spare in that tire compartment. I did the same as you about four years ago and since I tow a heavy trailer I'm so glad I did (as the manual recommends) which I've had to use once so far.

IMG_20130611_155458_500.jpg

It's unfortunate that the new 2017 Ridgeline cannot accommodate a full-size spare --despite the fact that it appears Honda still recommends it for towing-- in the same space as the temp. tire. Not to be too negative, at least they carried over the idea of a bed mounting location for those that need that full-size spare.

Gen1
58060d1323992795-photo-spare-mounted-bed-img_20111022_165635.jpg
Gen2
2017 Ridgeline-Alternate Spare.jpg

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One question, the tool holder seems to be missing one tool . If you look at the lower right hand side of the styrofoam tool holder there is a longer cut out for something.

Anyone know what fits there?

Here's a pic.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
One question, the tool holder seems to be missing one tool . If you look at the lower right hand side of the styrofoam tool holder there is a longer cut out for something.

Anyone know what fits there?
That spot is empty on my tool box as well. Perhaps the manufacturing templates used to make the inner-portions of these foam tool boxes are used on other Honda vehicles that require the extra tool. Although not exactly the right shape, some Honda tire changing kits include a tool to lower, or crank down, the spare tire from its storage position under the vehicle. Since we don't need that, our tool box is missing that piece. Even the owner's manual drawing of the tool box shows it missing something in that some indentation. I'm just speculating here, but that's my thought.

IMG_20160615_091158967.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Mounting the tire in the bed is apparently still an unknown feature according to all the automotive publications that do reviews of the Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I always wondered why Honda recommended a full-size spare if your towing, especially since the T165/90R17 105M temporary tire is rated to handle the same or more weight than the full-size tires that come on the Gen1 (P245/65R17 105T or P245/60R18 104T). The owner's manual for the Gen2 recommends the same thing but gives a little more explanation as to why.

Fullsize spare.png

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I'm Still looking for a good used tire. The rim was easy to find...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm Still looking for a good used tire. The rim was easy to find...
I don't mind paying for a cheap new tire, but where did you find a rim so easily? Did you call tire shops in your area? I don't need it to match my other wheels, but I also am not a wheel guy, so I don't know how to ensure it matches on bolt pattern, etc.

2017SilverRTL-E

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I don't mind paying for a cheap new tire, but where did you find a rim so easily? Did you call tire shops in your area? I don't need it to match my other wheels, but I also am not a wheel guy, so I don't know how to ensure it matches on bolt pattern, etc.

2017SilverRTL-E
To help you best, I need a little more information. I see you have a 2017 Ridgeline. Where do you plan to store/mount your full-size spare? Do you want to use the factory alternate tire mount location in the bed (pictured below)? If so, you will need to be careful about how tall your tire and rim combination will be for the retaining bolt is very particular about the angle at which it's inserted. Plus, the Ridgeline's systems are sensitive to having different tire/rim sizes (i.e. everything needs to be the same size).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, I'll put it there... unless I can figure out a way to get it into the spot where the donut goes... but it seems others have tried and failed. My only complaint about the front location (besides being in the sun) is that the bolt holding it is pretty small diameter.

Sites like this seem to have all the information, but if I were getting a used wheel for example, I'm not sure where this information would be... doesn't seem like it would be stamped on a wheel like it is on the tire.

https://www.wheel-size.com/

2017SilverRTL-E

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Yes, I'll put it there... unless I can figure out a way to get it into the spot where the donut goes... but it seems others have tried and failed. My only complaint about the front location (besides being in the sun) is that the bolt holding it is pretty small diameter.

Sites like this seem to have all the information, but if I were getting a used wheel for example, I'm not sure where this information would be... doesn't seem like it would be stamped on a wheel like it is on the tire.

https://www.wheel-size.com/

2017SilverRTL-E
There's no way to put a full-size spare in the Gen2 spare tire service tray. Only the Gen1 has enough space in that storage spot to accommodate a full-size spare, but just barely (if you increase the size just a little, it will not fit).

One thing you could do is mount the full-size spare when you're taking a trip or towing; otherwise you have the regular compact spare at your disposal for local emergencies.

As for the rim size and offset, it looks like the 2017 Ridgeline comes with a "8Jx18 ET55" and uses a "5x120" bold patter. Does that help?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
This is one of the things that bothers me the most. This damn truck (any year RL) is soooooooo picky on anything done to it, being repaired (better use only Honda parts ) or if you can find any aftermarket stuff for it. SUCKS>>>>>>>>>>

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
This is one of the things that bothers me the most. This damn truck (any year RL) is soooooooo picky on anything done to it, being repaired (better use only Honda parts ) or if you can find any aftermarket stuff for it. SUCKS>>>>>>>>>>
The Ridgeline "is wound tight," as the say. There's two ways to look at it:
Pro: The Ridgeline is very precisely engineered to do what it's intended for.
Con: To get something competitive with other mid-size trucks, Honda had to push the limits of its platform and it's knowledge to the brink or spend a lot more money on something they have little experience with, a body-on-frame truck with an inline drivetrain.​

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
The discussion on mounting a spare tire in the alternate spare tire mounting location in the bed, got me thinking. Although I've played around with it, I've never driven any distance with a tire mounted in that location. Since I still have my temporary tire (a.k.a. a donut), I mounted it in my Gen1 alternate tire mounting location, on the forward right-side of the bed wall, to see how it would affect my driving. It turns out to be a pretty good spot to mount a tire. Granted, it would have been best to have the mounting whole on the forward left-side of the bed where the driver would not see it, but the location on the right-side never affected my vision; see pictorial proof below. Granted it was a donut and not a full-size tire but the only difference would be the thickness, which would really only affect my view in the rear-view mirror, which would have been minimal. The only negative about mounting a tire in this location is that you can only open the In-Bed Trunk lid about 3/4th of the way; which is good enough to get access to most things. That would not be a problem in the Gen2, given it was mounted there for it has a longer bed and a shorter In-Bed Trunk lid; but Honda went a different way that really obstructs rear visibility (Why Honda, why...?).

IMG_20170808_164014435_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170808_164002897_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170808_201545691.jpg

·
Administrator
16,016 Posts
It could be worse... My 2017 Civic Si (and dozens of other vehicles) doesn't even have a spare - just a bottle of goop and a 12-volt air compressor. Due to the design of the Si's exhaust, the spare tire pan in the trunk is not deep enough to accommodate a spare tire. Honda's solution is a kit that includes a wheel, tools, spacers, and a new new floor panel. The kit and the tire retail for about $800 and eats up a significant amount of trunk space.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
It could be worse... My 2017 Civic Si (and dozens of other vehicles) doesn't even have a spare - just a bottle of goop and a 12-volt air compressor. Due to the design of the Si's exhaust, the spare tire pan in the trunk is not deep enough to accommodate a spare tire. Honda's solution is a kit that includes a wheel, tools, spacers, and a new new floor panel. The kit and the tire retail for about $800 and eats up a significant amount of trunk space.
It's the new auto-manufacturer trend. Their analysis shows them that very few people get flats anymore, but to be safe and have peace-of-mind, they include an inflation kit. --My 2015 Challenger SRT is the same as your Civic Si.-- I don't know where they're getting their statistics, but I've gotten multiple flats on every vehicle I've owned; well... except for my Ridgeline where I've gotten only one flat so far ("knock on wood").

1 - 20 of 26 Posts