Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a wheel from ebay ($54) to use as a full size spare. Will I need the TPMS in order for it to balance properly (seems I heard they made the RL wheels weighted opposite the TPMS in order to get better balance with the TPMS installed)?

Also, any suggestions on where the best place to get an inexpensive tire for it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what I understand you will need the TPMS. If you don't the TPMS will always be indicating a problem with that tire. As mine is so new, I haven't seen the warning indication (and I hope I never do!).

No thoughts on a cheap tire. Maybe there is someone who has "take-offs" that they are looking to get rid of.[/FONT]

·
Registered
578 Posts
Unles syou plan on leaving the "spare" on after you do a chance, you wouldn't need the TPMS.

inexpensive tires..
Kumho makes decent inexpensive tires. If you have Discount Tires close by, they will bewilling to deal.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The factory rim requires the sensor for two reasons:
1) The rim has built in weighting to counter the sensor weight. I am unclear on if it can be balanced without the sensor
2) The stem hole is designed for the sensor and I doubt a normal value would work.

Anyways the sensors are cheap. Just be sure to follow the service manual since the crush nut is one time only (it deforms to seal). Use a good inch-lb torque wrench. I didn't trust the guys at the tire place and installed the sensor before given them the wheel.

As for the debate on an OEM tire or cheap one, if you have an OEM tire you can rotate all five, f you have a non-matching tire, keep it in the trunk. Using 5 tires will cause them to last longer, but the cost is higher, thus it's a wash.

I picked an OEM tire so if I need to put the spare on I can keep it on and not have to swap it back out once the orginal tire is repaired.

One other note, if you have a non-factory rim it may or may not require the sensor.

·
Registered
668 Posts
swampler said:
Just bought a wheel from ebay ($54) to use as a full size spare. Will I need the TPMS in order for it to balance properly (seems I heard they made the RL wheels weighted opposite the TPMS in order to get better balance with the TPMS installed)?

Also, any suggestions on where the best place to get an inexpensive tire for it?[/QUOTE

I just bought one two. I am anticipating that the wheel will balance, even with a different stem. one thing is for sure, our current spare does not has a TPMS stem on it. ], if you need to use the spare you will find the TPMS for the wheel you changed will show the TPMS light. thats ok, just get your original tire repaired or changed and mount it.

I'm thinking, of getting three more wheels and buying winter tires to have both sets (summer and winter) ends up being cheep enough!

about your other question Cheep tires, Maybe someone else can do better, but $79.00 before mounting and balancing was the best Icould find,and that was a strictly a snow tire., Good luck, J

·
Registered
205 Posts
what is the part number for the TPMS, complete with valve stem and mounting parts? The pictures I've seen aren't very self explanatory. It's hard to know what to order.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's listed on MajesticHonda.com as 1783025 (product #06421-S3V-A02) for $17.42. Here's the link.

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link. If I need it, it will be good to know where to go for it.

Does having it on the spare cause any problems with the TPMS system since it is only designed for 4 sensors? I saw the suggestion of turning the valve to the rear of the trunk.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have an alloy wheel full size spare and the local tire store installed a normal stem and balanced it no problem.

·
Registered
254 Posts
As stated several times before, if you place a full size spare tire in the truck with a TMPS sensor, you will not be guaranteed to detect a low tire warning on the road tire (left or right rear tire). This depends on the orientation of the spare in on the tire tray.

If you wish to proceed with this plan, be sure to orient the spare tire with the valve stem TPMS sensor) at the centerline of the vehicle a far away from the left and right wheel initiator as possible. The system is not equipped with a 5 channel TPMS system. Adding an additional sensor will confuse the system in some circumstances.

The comment about the weight of the TPMS sensor is true. The OEM wheel has been designed such that the wheel balance is off-set to adjust for the TPMS sensor weight.

TPMS is a regulation issue and must be guaranteed under all operating conditions and spare locations. That is why it is not recommended to install this senor in the spare tire cavity. This results in a potential inability to read a low road tire if a failure occurs.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kodiak said:
As stated several times before, if you place a full size spare tire in the truck with a TMPS sensor, you will not be guaranteed to detect a low tire warning on the road tire (left or right rear tire). This depends on the orientation of the spare in on the tire tray.

If you wish to proceed with this plan, be sure to orient the spare tire with the valve stem TPMS sensor) at the centerline of the vehicle a far away from the left and right wheel initiator as possible. The system is not equipped with a 5 channel TPMS system. Adding an additional sensor will confuse the system in some circumstances.

The comment about the weight of the TPMS sensor is true. The OEM wheel has been designed such that the wheel balance is off-set to adjust for the TPMS sensor weight.

TPMS is a regulation issue and must be guaranteed under all operating conditions and spare locations. That is why it is not recommended to install this senor in the spare tire cavity. This results in a potential inability to read a low road tire if a failure occurs.
Nice summary...my plan is to put a full size spare in without the TPMS sensor. My only question would be about balancibility, but it sounds like it will still balance. I suppose that for a spare, it would only have to be close. What's a little vibration until you can get to a tire place to get the other one fixed?

·
Registered
536 Posts
According to Honda (I called) and the customer rep said there is no problem with a sensor on the spare.

...but Kodiak, you work at Honda and say there is a problem.

Is there anyway that we can ask Gary directly about this subject?

-W

·
Registered
254 Posts
Honda is a large company with good intentions at the call center.

Trust me - The TPMS sensor is NOT OK.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Thanks for the info, Kodiak. So, is it okay for a full sized spare to be slightly out of balance if you don't have the TPMS sensor on it?

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can easily balance it using normal techniques. You will need to correct for the loss of weight from the lack of the TPMS sensor.

It will balance, the addition of weights will be grater than would be required if the sensor is in place. As you sated – it is a spare tire after all.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to follow-up / update everyone...got my tire mounted and balanced today to use as a full size spare. No TPMS sensor and the wheel balanced out no problem. In fact, it has less weight than one of the wheels from the factory that has the TPMS sensor in it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts