Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the maintenance due soon message on the dash, 15% oil life. I'll be taking it to the dealer for this first oil change (5500 miles). Should I ask for synthetic oil or synthetic blend? When I had the factory tonneau installed when the truck was new, I asked the service advisor which oil they recommend. All he said was "it's up to you". He didn't know what the factory puts in the engine to begin with.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
Honda discontinued their synthetic blend 0W-20 leaving only on a full synthetic 0W-20. They don't sell a conventional 0W-20. You can use conventional, synthetic blend, or full synthetic. The only recommendation is that you use a "premium grade 0W-20 detergent oil with the API certification seal on the bottle". No matter what brand or type of oil you use, it's important to change it when the Maintenance Minder tells you to. All oil brands and types get dirty and diluted over time.

I always buy the Honda-branded 0W-20. There's no way of knowing for sure what went in your vehicle when it comes through ceiling-mounted hose reels connected to bulk drums.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I can't stress it enough for people to use the proper grade and have it changed at the proper time. Always use a quality filter too. It is a small price to pay for probably the most important element of the vehicle (behind the driver, of course). I have known people to make a huge deal about their wheels but neglect their oil. One of the other benefits of doing it yourself is the ability to peek under the vehicle and be aware of something before it turns into an issue.

I can't tally all the cash it has saved me over the years but it is a huge amount (probably allowed me to buy the RL in the long run) !!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. Synthetic it is. It'll be done at the dealer, since I'm not in a position to do it myself. I used to, but that was many many tears ago,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good info on the oil changes. Right now I'm feeling glad again that I bought my '18 RT-L from a dealer that I had to drive an hour to get to. Probably passed ten dealerships on the way there. Best dealer I've ever dealt with and as a plus they give you free lifetime oil changes and car washes at the premises. I never thought I would drive that far again just to get an oil change but after the exceptional treatment I received, I will and I won't have to decide which cheaper oil or alternate filter to buy. They gave me a great deal on installed extras too three weeks after I purchased the truck which I couldn't believe. Makes me love the truck even more. Never thought I'd ever speak in such praising language about a dealer. I'm still used to getting BS so I will ask what type of oil and filter before I get my freebie.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
Best dealer I've ever dealt with and as a plus they give you free lifetime oil changes and car washes at the premises.
I occasionally get "free lifetime oil changes and car washes" depending on when and where I buy, but I never utilize either. Oil changes only come around about every 8 months and take 15 minutes at a cost of less than $40 - plus I know exactly what goes in it and that it's done properly. I avoid automatic car washes because they scratch the paint. One of my local dealers offered "lifetime" oil changes for a few years. They were bought out. The new owners discontinued the free oil change program and did not honor free oil changes for the customers they bought along with the business - even for those who complained.

·
Registered
117 Posts
that the oil reminder The oil reminder on a 2011 CRV was every 6000 miles. If Honda recommend to change it at that time, then Im sure it’s full synthetic. I mean you can go 6000 miles on dinosaurs oil but I wouldn’t recommend it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have converted to synthetic as a way to extend the oil changes. It is hard to tell if it has other benefits as I have never had my oil analyzed.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
I have converted to synthetic as a way to extend the oil changes. It is hard to tell if it has other benefits as I have never had my oil analyzed.
The oil still needs to be changed no later than indicated by the Maintenance Minder no matter what type you use. Using synthetic oil does not make it okay to go beyond the oil change interval - synthetic oil still gets dirty and diluted just like conventional oil.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The oil still needs to be changed no later than indicated by the Maintenance Minder no matter what type you use. Using synthetic oil does not make it okay to go beyond the oil change interval - synthetic oil still gets dirty and diluted just like conventional oil.
Hmm... That's a very strong statement. Without a doubt a high quality synthetic will outlast conventional. If we agree that is a true statement, then why wouldn't you be able to go longer, especially after the first oil change? If it's not true, then why spend so much more on synthetic?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hmm... That's a very strong statement. Without a doubt a high quality synthetic will outlast conventional. If we agree that is a true statement, then why wouldn't you be able to go longer, especially after the first oil change? If it's not true, then why spend so much more on synthetic?
The oil change interval on my wife's 2003 BMW 325 is over 15k miles. Of course, I don't let it go that long. I change it at 7500 miles.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
1. To avoid potential warranty issues, the oil must be changed when indicated by the Maintenance Minder using the recommended oil. Honda approves of the use of synthetic oil, but using it doesn't grant you permission to extended oil change intervals beyond those indicated on the Maintenance Minder. If you choose to change your oil at 15,000 miles when the Maintenance Minder tells you to change it at 8,000, the responsibility is on you.

2. When it's proven that the engine will last beyond 350K miles on "bulk" engine oil changed when instructed the Maintenance Minder, why use any "better" oil or change the oil more or less frequently? We're talking about the end of a passenger vehicle's life - not an "18-wheeler" that may see over a million miles before a rebuild.

·
Registered
71 Posts
1. To avoid potential warranty issues, the oil must be changed when indicated by the Maintenance Minder using the recommended oil. Honda approves of the use of synthetic oil, but using it doesn't grant you permission to extended oil change intervals beyond those indicated on the Maintenance Minder. If you choose to change your oil at 15,000 miles when the Maintenance Minder tells you to change it at 8,000, the responsibility is on you.

2. When it's proven that the engine will last beyond 350K miles on "bulk" engine oil changed when instructed the Maintenance Minder, why use any "better" oil or change the oil more or less frequently? We're talking about the end of a passenger vehicle's life - not an "18-wheeler" that may see over a million miles before a rebuild.
1. Are you saying the oil needs to be changed to avoid "potential warranty issues" or that regardless of oil type it needs to be changed as scheduled to avoid engine wear?

2. Not sure what you meant here... Maybe that there's no reason to use synthetic if you change your oil at the recommended intervals?

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
1. Are you saying the oil needs to be changed to avoid "potential warranty issues" or that regardless of oil type it needs to be changed as scheduled to avoid engine wear?

2. Not sure what you meant here... Maybe that there's no reason to use synthetic if you change your oil at the recommended intervals?
If you expect Honda to cover an engine failure during the warranty period, the oil should be changed no later than indicated by the Maintenance Minder regardless of the type of oil you use. The manual says you can use synthetic oil, but it does not say that if you do the oil change intervals are extended. Honda expects you to change the oil when instructed no matter what you type of oil you use. If your engine fails at 59,999 miles and you've changed the oil every 15,000 miles using some "premium synthetic" instead of every ~8,000 (as indicated by the Maintenance Minder) using the recommended oil, Honda can deny warranty coverage. The Maintenance Minder uses engine revolutions with adjustments for operating conditions. It can't detect the type or condition of the oil.

I'm not quite there yet, 288K. I haven't used synthetic oil & no plans too.
I'm at 283K on my 2009. I've used mostly Honda oil which is labeled "Synthetic Blend", whatever that means.
Its been a good ride, 380,000+ miles on the RL and I am looking to sell it. Alternator crapped out before xmas, and I was rarely driving the truck anymore...
using dino I change out the oil per the MM, @ a little over 7,000 miles between oil changes.

@chisoxjim had 381,000 miles on his Ridgeline using cheap oil changes at the dealer per the Maintenance Minder when he sold it after the alternator failed.

Why try to outsmart Honda's engineers by extending oil changes or using a higher-specification oil than necessary when cheap oil changes will get you well over 300K-400K miles or more?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts