Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I floor the RL and the RPMs get close to redline, there is an odd sound from the area infront of the passenger.

Hard to describe, sort of like an over reving fan. It's not the radiator fan since they are electric.

Once the tranny shifts and the RPMs drop it's gone... until the RPMs get close to the redline again.

Is it normal?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Whaleya said:
When I floor the RL and the RPMs get close to redline, there is an odd sound from the area infront of the passenger. Is it normal?
That's the sound of them pissing their pants. :D

The exhaust system header is on the right side of the vehicle in this area. You might be hearing the extra VTEC valves and their additional mechanical noise.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I've got just over 2000 miles on mine and still consider it being broken in. I haven't floored it yet and I haven't seen the tach over 4,500 RPM. I guess it's about time I tried it!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
steveberger said:
I've got just over 2000 miles on mine and still consider it being broken in. I haven't floored it yet and I haven't seen the tach over 4,500 RPM. I guess it's about time I tried it!
Steve, your engine NEEDS this. Otherwise you'll prolong the break-in.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Here's my logic. 'At 4400 rpm, the Ridgeline's powertrain control module commands the VTEC system to switch intake valve operation to the high-rpm mode. In response, an electric spool valve opens to route pressurized oil to small pistons within the intake-valve rocker arms. These pistons then slide to lock the three rocker arms provided for each cylinder together. As a result, both intake valves follow a central high-lift, longer-duration cam lobe.'

So then, knowing it has special break-in oil installed from the factory with increased moly and other additives, I like to spend some time above 4400 rpm to make sure that oil is getting everywhere.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Very much doubt you could hear any valve train noise, and if so it would probably be at all engine RPM's......my bet would be this new dual stage intake manifold system. My cruse understanding is it adjusts air volume or velocity for lower and higher rpm ranges.

Could also be the sound of $$$ flying from your wallet....(gas prices)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
OK! OK! Vertkr and shovelhd, you convinced me.

Found a long quiet streach of road last night and stood on it from a stand still. You don't get the sensation of being slammed back into your seat, like in a real muscle car, but it sure gets up to 70 MPH in a hurry :D . I do hear the fan like noise on the passanger side above 4,500 RPM, but it only lasts for a second because I couldn't keep the RPMs up for that long. It keeps shifting smothly to the next higher gear. By what I think was 4th gear at 4,000 RPM I was well over 110 MPH and I wussed out :eek: . Fast enough for me.

I tried this 3 times. Is my engine broken in now?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
steveberger said:
Found a long quiet streach of road last night and stood on it from a stand still. You don't get the sensation of being slammed back into your seat, like in a real muscle car, but it sure gets up to 70 MPH in a hurry :D . I do hear the fan like noise on the passanger side above 4,500 RPM, but it only lasts for a second because I couldn't keep the RPMs up for that long. It keeps shifting smothly to the next higher gear. By what I think was 4th gear at 4,000 RPM I was well over 110 MPH and I wussed out :eek: . Fast enough for me.

Wow, that should about do it. I believe you maxed it out. Pretty sure you can't go past 110mph as it's governer limited to that.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Is there really a governor? I'm certain I was a little over 110. Maybe a hill. Why does the speedo go up to 140 MPH?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
steveberger said:
Is there really a governor? I'm certain I was a little over 110. Maybe a hill. Why does the speedo go up to 140 MPH?
Ya, limited to 112 I believe. Honda is not alone in making speedometers that go way past what the car can. Just a marketing gimick and it doesn't please me. I'd much rather have a speedo that topped off at 110 and have larger graduation marks.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
vertrkr said:
Wow, that should about do it. I believe you maxed it out. Pretty sure you can't go past 110mph as it's governer limited to that.
Then how did you get your avatar to show 126mph? Photoshop?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ok, looked it up, it is 110mph. "The top speed is dictated by the speed rating of the tires. The Ridgeline tire is P245/65 R17 105S. The last 4 digits are the load index and speed rating. The vehicle aerodynamics and engine power create a package that can exceed the speed rating of the tire. Therefore, the top speed is limited to 177kph or 110mph."

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Vertrkr is able to get his Ridgeline up to 126 MPH because he has a 'Type R' sticker on the tailgate. :D That alone adds 5-10 horsepower.

·
Registered
297 Posts
steveberger said:
I was recently told that some cars have governors on them. Having drove a bus and tractors over 30 years ago, I knew about some commercial trucks having them. I didn't know that the Ridge had one.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
steveberger said:

Hey Steve, where is this road?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Hey Steve, where is this road?
I684 is in NY, except for a 1.2 mile section that runs through CT. NY police have no jurisdiction there and CT police never patrol it (it has no entrances or exits), so as long as you enter and exit the section no faster than the 65 mph speed limit, you can go as fast as you like with no speeding ticket risk. (Disclaimer: I never drive more than about 15% over the limit and I don't condone high-speed driving on public roads.)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts