Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been driving for more than 30 years, but when I shift from P to D the shifter sometimes gets stuck at N. I have to let go of the shifter and then pull down to shift to D. I also sometimes have trouble getting it into first or second from P.

I've never owned a vehicle with a shifter on the column (usually have driven manual transmissions). Is it me, or is there something unique in shifting the Ridge? I feel rather stupid asking this question. I checked the manual but that really didn't address my question.

Thank you!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I neglected to mention that. Yes, I do have my foot on the brake before I shift. I then pull on the shifter and pull down to D, but it usually hangs up on N first. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have never had this problem. I have noticed the key, on a few occasions refuses to come out unless you give the steering wheel a good shake. This has happened on momma bear's Element as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In reading numerous reviews of the Ridgeline, one of the more common criticisms by the reviewers is the column shifter. The trouble many of them had was when shifting from park to drive they would often pull the shifter too far. I've done this myself a few times, however after a while it wasn't a problem anymore.
That's the only problem I'm aware of with the column shifter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
iROC said:
I've only been driving for more than 30 years, but when I shift from P to D the shifter sometimes gets stuck at N. I have to let go of the shifter and then pull down to shift to D. I also sometimes have trouble getting it into first or second from P.

I've never owned a vehicle with a shifter on the column (usually have driven manual transmissions). Is it me, or is there something unique in shifting the Ridge? I feel rather stupid asking this question. I checked the manual but that really didn't address my question.

Thank you!
Yeh, sorry to say it's just you. You'll get used to it. If you study the illustration of how it shifts, you will figure when to pull and push and when to let it go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had trouble at first too. I'm now use to it and it's no longer a problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had the same problem for the first week or so that I had my RL. A friend told me to put on my emergency brake when I park and put the truck into gear before releasing the brake. Actually see a huge difference!! I guess the truck doesn't roll into a position or sumthing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
According to the owners manual:

To shift from Park to any position,​
press firmly on the brake pedal, and
pull the shift lever toward you.
To shift out of Park, you must press on the brake
pedal and have your foot off the
accelerator pedal. Pull the shift lever
towards you, then move it out of
Park.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I get stuck at neutral a lot, but I've had my Ridge for less then a week now but I think I'll get use to it eventually.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Before I bought my Ridge I read all the threads about the shifting issues...but I found it exactly like my CRV...when I shift the Ridge it just glides effortlessly from gear to gear.... but when my wife drives it..WTF, I hear clunk, clunk and she says " it stuck "... back into Park..then clunk and it stuck in Park....... I reach over and slide her into gear.....I think she needs more practice.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you look in the owner's man., there is a pic of the "pattern" that the shifter takes as you pull it down. It's not the normal "straight back and down" like most other automatics. I think I have sub conciously learned to do it right now...especially since I've driven her 26k miles now!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are correct Doubledutyemt. I went through the manual again and it now shifts better. I was used to the old pull in and pull down. This isn't the case with the Honda. You have to follow the pattern.

CBRidgeJockey, your wife isn't the only one who need practice. :)

Once you get the hang of it, like anything else, it's easy.

I would like to thank all of you for your comments!

·
Registered
67 Posts
10 months and 5,000 miles later I've noticed from day 1 that when I put the truck in reverse it goes into reverse immediately but when I shift into drive there is a distinct pause before it's in drive. I've gotten used to it and always hesitate a second more before I give it gas in drive. Has anyone else noticed this ? Let me know.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I haven't had any trouble with shifting.

I have had problems trying to mist my windows by pulling the shifter, or trying to shift by pulling the washer lever in my wife's car. She thinks it is amusing because suddenly the wipers will come on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
iROC...funny that you've post this thread... I was just about to make the same post. Luck would have it, I shifted (pun intended) into this thread. My Ridge is only a week old and several times now I've had the same issues about the shift. At first I thought it was me, but then realize after several tries it wasn't. I figured I did something wrong the first time. After a few days later, it did it again....ummm. This morning it happen again, so I figure I'll post to see if anyone else had the same issues. Now it seems to be a new owners issue, so I'll have to read the manual about how to shift. It's too bad the this vehicle doesn't offer a stick. Maybe I should start a new thread about manual trans over automatic trans. Anyways thanks for beating me to the post. :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
justpar1 said:
iROC...funny that you've post this thread... I was just about to make the same post. . :)
Thanks for your post Justpar1...I'm glad I wasn't the only one! :D

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
The shifter is just like the one in my Dad's Pilot, so I guess I had experience with the shifter before. Because of this thread, I paid closer attention to how I shift today (since I don't have any problems getting to D). What I found that I did is to pull back on the shifter to get out of P, then I just pull straight down (not back) the rest of the way to D position. Just use a real light touch and it will naturally flow into D.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts