Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had problems blowing the accessory outlet fuses?

We got my daughter a portable DVD player for long trips and I plugged it in to the rear AC outlet and nothing. I bit my tongue to prevent some profanity from working its way out.

Weird my wife said so we plugged it in to the front AC outlet and everything worked fine.

On our trip home we plugged it back in to the same front outlet and nothing what's worse is now both outlets are fried :mad: so now no DVD or Radar detector.

Well, we stopped for lunch I opened my manual and found that thankfully Honda gave us a couple of spares so I was able to get my Radar detector online.

Quick trip to NAPA and I picked up some 15A fuses not realizing that the rear outlet needs 10A, one more trip I guess.

I'm not sure if they were just cheap fuses or the DVD adapter sucks so I replaced both.

Anyone out there know why they recommend against changing to a higher Amp fuse? If 15A and 10A isn't handling the load wouoldn't it make sense to try 20A and 15A fuses?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fuses are rated to protect the circuit based on the wiring that is used for that particular circuit and its anticipated load. Replacing a fuse with one rated at a higher amperage than the original can cause the wiring to overheat, the insulation to melt, the wiring to short out, and possibly result in a fire.

The only safe way to use a higher rated fuse would be to rewire the circuit with heavier gauge wire. The fact that you are blowing fuses would indicate either a problem with the existing circuit wiring or a problem with the wiring or load draw of the appliance plugged into the power outlet.

·
Registered
218 Posts
"Anyone out there know why they recommend against changing to a higher Amp fuse? If 15A and 10A isn't handling the load wouoldn't it make sense to try 20A and 15A fuses?"They make that recommendation because they probably feel most folks would rather not smoke their wiring harness. The wires to the outlet govern the amperage of the fuse, not the requirement of the device being powered. If you must increase the amperage on that circuit I would upsize the wire supplying the outlet and put an individual fuse on it. I would highly recommend that you think this through first, however.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I figured but it never hurts to get some confirmation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We went on vaca to NH a month ago. We had 3 kids each using their own portable DVD players plugged into all 3 outlets and had no problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've blown all three fuses apparently. I had a cpl of minutes the other day and checked out the fuse box (the one in engine compartment, but could not readily tell which fuses corresponded to the power outlets.

Can anyone give me a pointer? I looked in manual but didn't find the info. Is the fuse for the rear outlet in a different fusebox inside the truck that I am not familiar with?

Is there a diagram with what each fuse is for somewhere out there. A lot easier than the pull and check method.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I've blown all three fuses apparently. I had a cpl of minutes the other day and checked out the fuse box (the one in engine compartment, but could not readily tell which fuses corresponded to the power outlets.

Can anyone give me a pointer? I looked in manual but didn't find the info. Is the fuse for the rear outlet in a different fusebox inside the truck that I am not familiar with?

Is there a diagram with what each fuse is for somewhere out there. A lot easier than the pull and check method.

Thanks
These are from the 2009 RL but should be the same for all.
#5 in the secondary fuse box.
Capture1.jpg
#9 in the interior fuse box.
Capture2.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts