Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
15,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The June 24, 2020 episode of Autoline Daily reports that AutoForecastSolutions expects the following:

The 11th generation Civic (code name CCA2YN) will begin production during March 2021 in Canada.

The 2nd generation HR-V will begin production during March 2022 in Mexico.

The 4th generation RDX (code name CCA2DU) will begin production during May 2024 in East Liberty, OH.

The 4th generation Passport will begin production during January 2026 also in East Liberty.

No new Passport for six years? By then, the platform which includes the Odyssey, Ridgeline, Pilot, and MDX will be nearly 13 years old. If they're going to keep the Passport around that long, that could mean the Ridgeline won't see any significant changes for 5-6 years.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The June 24, 2020 episode of Autoline Daily reports that AutoForecastSolutions expects the following:

The 11th generation Civic (code name CCA2YN) will begin production during March 2021 in Canada.

The 2nd generation HR-V will begin production during March 2022 in Mexico.

The 4th generation RDX (code name CCA2DU) will begin production during May 2024 in East Liberty, OH.

The 4th generation Passport will begin production during January 2026 also in East Liberty.

No new Passport for six years? By then, the platform which includes the Odyssey, Ridgeline, Pilot, and MDX will be nearly 13 years old. If they're going to keep the Passport around that long, that could mean the Ridgeline won't see any significant changes for 5-6 years.
Why East Liberty for the Passort? Without too much reading into it I'm thinking they got the wrong model associated with that date and location. That's a Tundra timeline, doubtful.

·
Administrator
15,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why East Liberty for the Passort? Without too much reading into it I'm thinking they got the wrong model associated with that date and location. That's a Tundra timeline, doubtful.
It could have been an error or perhaps Honda plans to do some model shuffling. Remember: HMA used to make Accords and MDXs while Ridgelines used to be made in Canada.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,856 Posts
The G4 and G5 Odyssey are not vastly that different in basic form, though the G5 is stark contrast to the G4 Odyssey.
With the MDX paving the way for the Pilot, Ridgeline and Passport, I would imagine that, in similar order, the cousins would follow the upcoming new MDX.
The Gen 3 MDX (current generation) has been in production since the 2014 MY.
The Gen 4 Odyssey was in production from 2011 to 2017 MY, which is also 6 years.
It seems like the average life span for a lot of the models (exception is the G1 Ridgeline) is around 6 years.

With the 2021 TLX around the corner (current generation is MY 2015-2020), I would anticipate that the MDX will soon follow as at that point, it would be (along with the ILX) an old generation. I think the ILX would somehow inherit the Civic architecture.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When Honda create a "SE Model" (Pilot SE), it would indicate the last year. If the Passport is going to be the same as the current model till 2026, could it be that RL and Passport will continue to share parts? Would that mean the next RL will not be here till 2026 too?

So Pilot gets new gen.

Passport - old gen and continue to share parts with RL?

I know this is a RL forum, but do you guys think the next Pilot, would than be "even closer" to the Odyssey?

Pilot - Odyssey

Ridgeline - Passport

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,856 Posts
Roger may have a better insight, but if we are speculating based on how the trend has been between Acura and Honda, I believe it would follow the current pattern. MDX, Pilot, Ridgeline, Passport.These units have more in common among them because of their class, market and purpose. The MDX spawns the Pilot. Passport is essentially a shorter version of the Pilot with a vast majority of its architecture unchanged. The Ridgeline would evolve from the MDX as well, but with major compatibility with the Pilot.

Pilot would not be closer to the Odyssey, as it is a whole different ballgame in a very small pool of players; Odyssey, Sedona, Sienna & Pacifica/Voyager (Voyager is a cheaper trim of the Pacifica). None of these 4 units have a luxury variant, and it is not a growing segment either. The Odyssey architecture from the A-pillar backwards is very different, the roof structure, and the suspension/sub-frame packaging is a lot more compact than the SUV/Crossovers so it would be impossible for the Pilot to share many of the Odyssey architecture.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,189 Posts
If sales are more important than parts sharing, Honda really should give the Passport and Ridgeline their own sheet metal and interiors from the front seats forward. Ride height and tire diameter could could also diverge. Pilot can keep the family hauler orientation and the Passport / Ridge could slide a bit more towards the "adventure" side of the spectrum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If sales are more important than parts sharing, Honda really should give the Passport and Ridgeline their own sheet metal and interiors from the front seats forward. Ride height and tire diameter could could also diverge. Pilot can keep the family hauler orientation and the Passport / Ridge could slide a bit more towards the "adventure" side of the spectrum.
That's kind of what I was thinking and couldn't put into those exact words like you did, beautifully.

Odyssey - Pilot to be "people movers." where Pilot is for the anti-minivan crowd.

And Passport and Ridgeline can become more common, to take on the tougher job of being a truck and SUV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts