Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I must be missing something here, why does being a front wheel drive make the Ridgeline not a truck? And although I'm betting an overwhelming majority of them are AWD let's put that aside. Doesn't making it front wheel drive just make sense?

How many people do we all know that have to throw weight in the pack of their pickups in the winter because they don't have front wheel drive?

I have wondered for at least the last 30 years why they didn't make front wheel drive trucks for this very reason, because very few people always have a load in the bed.

So now Honda does what everyone should have been doing and "Truck Guys" say it's not a real truck, truck envy?

I just wonder if in 10 years it turns out that Honda was ahead of the time, which in my opinion is at least 25 years too late.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's all nonsense. People say all types of dumb things on the internet, and I have found over the years that most of them have no idea what they are talking about, or that they are nothing like me and I don't really care what they think.

All 4 wheels on my Ridgeline spin. My neighbor has a Silverado on which only 2 wheels spin. Maybe I should start calling his Silverado a minivan.

To really answer your question, I guess RWD is better for towing, while FWD is better for traction. If you have RWD in foul conditions, you are going absolutely nowhere.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
It's all nonsense. People say all types of dumb things on the internet, and I have found over the years that most of them have no idea what they are talking about, or that they are nothing like me and I don't really care what they think.

All 4 wheels on my Ridgeline spin. My neighbor has a Silverado on which only 2 wheels spin. Maybe I should start calling his Silverado a minivan.

To really answer your question, I guess RWD is better for towing, while FWD is better for traction. If you have RWD in foul conditions, you are going absolutely nowhere.
Agreed....I've seen long discussions over the pros and cons of a .40 S&W vs a .45 ACP, with both sides (in that case) getting pretty nasty, calling each other out, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't want to get shot with either one!

Heck, the Tundra and Titan are not bad trucks at all....but the old traditionalists originally said that they couldn't be 'real trucks' because they came from Japan....

Us RL owners spoke with our pocketbooks. In the end, that is all that will matter.

·
Registered
328 Posts
FWD is 100x better in low traction situations than RWD. You should see all of these RWD "trucks" in Atlanta when we have our annual icy roads. They become a big ol American road block and I have to navigate around them in my FWD Accord.

I'll be getting a FWD RL, it's all I need.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I don't know but I'm tired of it, or tired of reading/listening to it. Unibody blah blah, FWD, El Camino, whatever. I learned in my youth, how "image" dominates people's brains in Murica. I see a big jacked up 4X4, driving on pavement, used as a commuter for someone to get to work and just laugh. Spending all that money on fuel, for what? Image? I think we have big problems with self identity in this country. You are not your domicile, your car, truck, or bank account, you're not your f'in khakis. So much ego, so much lack of self confidence.

It's a truck alright, whether FWD or AWD. It's just a functional truck. So if you think about that, most of the trucks on the road are complete overkill for their owners. Then when you understand that, then you understand trucks, in general, many of them are bought for image reasons. Many truck owners feel "tough", and buy into the domestic manufacturers marketing hype. Marketing is powerful, and unless you have studied it you are a target, or a sucker. How many SUV/CUV ads have you seen over the last 25 years showing a male, female, both, a family, etc, driving on some dirt road "getting away" out in the desert, pitching a tent, then the ad ends with a campfire, etc. Or driving up big hills, driving in the desert on the dunes, rock climbing, mountain biking, dirt biking (mX), all of it. Then the domestic truck mfr's say "Tuff!", show their trucks pulling planes, semis, etc. It's all marketing. Marketing sells you on "feelings" and not reality because reality based marketing is a harder sell. Much easier to sell to you based on what you think you are rather than what you are in reality. 90% of SUV's will never see anything but pavement but the owners want to feel like they can go off-road even though they never will.

Honda designed a truck, like the Ridgeline before it, for reality. You aren't going to tow aircraft, or pull a semi. The overwhelming majority of owners are gonna use the bed for home projects, so that means the HD or Lowes crowd. Others will pull motorcycles, Sportbikes, or dirt bikes, with some loading mX bikes in the bed. Then others towing skis, or a modest boat. So trucky truck owners are quick to point the finger at it and say it's not a truck. Marketing has brainwashed them into justifying their behemoth and any challenge to that, including reality, is a threat. Anything else gets ridiculed.
I wouldn't concern yourself with it. Look at all the people buying Mercs, BMW's, and Audis, it's a status symbol, just like a full size truck. It's an image buy. The Ridgeline is just more realistic.

My DD is a Leaf, and I get the same hate. I had a guy at work, door ding the hell out of it, guess what he was driving? a full size truck. I've been sneered at, laughed at, and raced by people who couldn't take getting passed by a little electric hatchback. I've gone to Twin Peaks (they have public chargers), finished my meal, walked out to the charger to unplug, only to have 3 quite large gentlemen walk out and start talking chit "Look at that chit" offended by the very nature of it.
It's called change, and some hate change, they just cannot handle it. The Ridgeline is the same. The last one didn't look trucky truck so it was easier for them. Now it does look more like a traditional pickup so change has these people quick to point out how it's not a truck. El Camino, Pilot with a bed, SUV with a bed. Just remember anything new, upsets their little balance in their head and they don't like it. I guess when I get my RL I'll have to deal with this with both.

A FWD, comfortable truck makes perfect sense for someone who doesn't need to tow, doesn't need AWD, just needs a bed for projects, wants something reliable, etc. What it won't do, is fill that ego hole in some people's brains. Their self identity is to tied to their consumer products. Those type of people, consumer products defines them. Sad.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
I think a big issue with FWD is pulling boats out of the water on slick ramps.

While I've had pretty good luck with FWD vehicles in snow, I won't be without AWD for the 4 or 5 times a year we get the slippery stuff on the roads. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people trying to travel with normal FWD cars and going nowhere with just a few inches of snow and slush on the ground. A combination of street tires, low ground clearance, and FWD (or RWD for that matter) just doesn't work well in those conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts