Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone interested in the FWD version? I'm actually considering it as I absolutely wouldn't take the RL off-roading, aside from the occasional dirt road. I'd expect that it would be capable enough with some good tires.

I'm interested in hearing some FWD vs. AWD reviews:act024:

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I have never needed AWD - it is a waste of money unless you live where heavy snow accumulates. the VTM-4 fluid changes are expensive and AWD does nothing to stop you on ice.

Ironically most people with AWD think it helps stop them on ice, it only helps get you moving on slick surfaces. I have never been stranded in a FWD vehicle - even the lowly K cars kept me moving with all the Jeep 4 wd that were out on the road.

Heck, the Honda AWD stops helping once you get to 18 MPH.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Having had Ridgelines since the beginning with AWD standard, I have never touched the VTM just put it in drive and go. I have been in ice and snow and some off road, I have felt AWD kick in when needed, but not often. The truck computer will kick in AWd when it is needed. Works for me. BTW, we have had FWD cars since 1981 and been fine in ice and snow. Not sure I would pay the $1,800 or more for the FWD.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is anyone interested in the FWD version? I'm actually considering it as I absolutely wouldn't take the RL off-roading, aside from the occasional dirt road. I'd expect that it would be capable enough with some good tires.

I'm interested in hearing some FWD vs. AWD reviews:act024:
I found a FWD in white but it was out on a test drive. The dealer had a red AWD in the model I wanted so I didn't wait and bought it. Most of the dealers where selling them before they got them unloaded and I didn't want to let it get away. It was the only red one in my area.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would probably never really need AWD, so if I was to purchase a new RL, I'd probably go for the RTL-T FWD. However, the resale on an AWD would almost certainly be better due to perceived higher desirability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I can see based on the specs online, the awd version sits about .5 an inch higher, and has a larger rear sway bar. Adding the bigger sway to the fwd version could be a cheap mod to lesson understeer. I'm wondering if there are other suspension differences. Like the UCA's/LCAs, do the fwd versions get the beefier awd suspension, or do the cheap out and source it from the pilot. I realize the pilot and ridgeline are very similar, but according to Honda, the ridgeline gets a beefier setup....

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
I have never needed AWD - it is a waste of money unless you live where heavy snow accumulates. the VTM-4 fluid changes are expensive and AWD does nothing to stop you on ice.

Ironically most people with AWD think it helps stop them on ice, it only helps get you moving on slick surfaces. I have never been stranded in a FWD vehicle - even the lowly K cars kept me moving with all the Jeep 4 wd that were out on the road.

What's that old saying?

"Four wheel drive doesn't keep you from getting stuck - it gets you stuck in worse places."

:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would imagine the deciding factor would be towing capacity. The most I will ever tow will be a 4x8 utility trailer with my motorcycle on it or an atv. So, the FWD will be just fine for me, no need to spend the extra 1800.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
There area some advantages to a FWD Ridgeline...

1. 1 MPG better fuel economy.
2. Slightly better straight-line accleration due to less weight, friction, and driveline losses (unless this is offset by#4).
3. $1,500 cheaper.
4. The ability to easily squeal and smoke the front tires after turning VSA off! (This should really impress the "real truck" guys.)
5. No VTM-4 fluid or transfer case oil changes.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Do we know if the FWD torque steers under rapid acceleration?
It does NOT torque steer on the CR-V - have not had a chance to see if the Ridgeline does - the Pilot FWD does not also.

My 1976 VW rabbit had torque steer as did my 1981 Cutlass Ciera and my 1983 Plymouth K Car.

I cannot remember any torque steer in any of my 5 Accords or 3 Civics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Those of us who want the 8" Touchsreen w/ Navi, Moonroof, Premium Auto, In Bed Audio, sliding rear window are going to be forced to get the AWD RTL-E. Thanks Honda.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
If does NOT torque steer on the CR-V - have not had a chance to see if the Ridgeline does - the Pilot FWD does not also.
I believe a prerequisite for torque steer is...torque - something that isn't associated with our CR-Vs. Haha!

Kidding aside, even with the additional torque of the ED 2.4 in my '16 CR-V, it just goes in a straight line when floored. However, my '14 Ridgeline got squirrelly the time I pulled the VTM-4 fuse - with lots of embarrassing front wheel spin. :)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

^^^^^^^ That is a completely false statement. (the bold part) :act064:

·
Registered
9,967 Posts

Lot of truth to what Larry says. Having had FWD cars since 1981 I have had a snow/ice problem 2 times. 1st time I was leaving for work in my '82 Accord 5 speed, backed out of the under the deck carport and put it in gear to go up the little rise and the car would not move. Wife came out, picked up the hose, sprayed water on the iced in driveway and away I went. 2nd time was a deep snow in my '84 Accord. No problems getting away from the house, had to go trough a valley were the snow was extra deep. Came up to the highway intersection and tapped the brake, brakes locked and I slid across the highway and slammed into the ditch. Had to be pulled out. BTW, there have been 4 WD or AWD trucks in my garage since 1994. Seldom needed 4 wheel drive, but good to know it is there. Regardless of the weather I always drove Accords to work and the wife drove the 4 WD trucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think AWD is a nice feature to have, and I'll definitely try to haggle the 1800$ difference down to <1000$ when I'm ready. I live in GA, so it definitely isn't necessary for me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you have a Ridgeline, you use AWD every time you accelerate from a stop, regardless of whether the VTM button is pressed. It also helps while the vehicle is underway, quietly doing its job while helping the driver out. It really shines in inclement weather - rain as well as ice/snow, sand, off-road. Pretty good stuff overall.

On Gen 2, it will be even better and will help with vehicle handling. Also the AWD versions have higher GVWR / GCWR than the FWD versions.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have an AWD Subie. Love the way it handles. I don't love the additional weight, complexity and lower fuel mileage.

The mileage on the RL isn't enough difference to influence me.
The price on the RL isn't enough of a difference to influence me.

The added complexity is something I don't want.

The added features on the AWD are electronics I don't want.

The jury is out. But I think I will likely purchase a FWD RTL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me the biggest reason I'd consider the FWD version is the added cost and the flat tire issue. I've never had AWD before but from what I understand if you get an unrepairable flat tire ( of which I've had 2 in the past 3 years) you have to replace all 4 tires.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts