Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a 2nd generation Ridgeline and happened to notice that there are a lot more used 2017 FWD ones for sale than used AWD ones. This has me a little hesitant to consider the FWD, as it appears AWD owners might be more satisfied with their Ridgelines. Any thoughts?

I won't be towing or going on rough terrain, but I have driven them and found the AWD model to have a slightly better feel.

Anyone have any insight on FWD vs AWD? Reliability? Handling? Power? etc

THANKS!

·
Administrator
16,053 Posts
I'm shopping for a 2nd generation Ridgeline and happened to notice that there are a lot more used 2017 FWD ones for sale than used AWD ones. This has me a little hesitant to consider the FWD, as it appears AWD owners might be more satisfied with their Ridgelines. Any thoughts?

I won't be towing or going on rough terrain, but I have driven them and found the AWD model to have a slightly better feel.

Anyone have any insight on FWD vs AWD? Reliability? Handling? Power? etc

THANKS!
AWD Advantages

+ MUCH better handling and performance while accelerating through corners due to torque-vectoring
+ slightly more ground clearance (0.59")
+ more towing capacity (5K vs. 3.5K)
+ better traction on slippery surfaces (rain, mud, snow, gravel, etc.)
+ better resale value
+ faster from a stop since there's no tire spin
+ auxiliary transmission cooler
+ two more terrain modes (sand and mud in addition to snow)
+ heated side mirrors on the RTL and above

FWD Advantages

+ lower price
+ 1 MPG better fuel economy
+ 2 fewer maintenance items - differential fluid and transfer fluid

·
Registered
113 Posts
Had a 2008 and and loved it! Now have a 2017 FWD and love it as well! Can't say I disagree with most of the points form the prior poster. I will not tow over 3500 lbs and live in south Florida where I will never see snow or off road use. It handles and stops as good or better that my 08 did so I am very happy with the truck!

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you're using it more as an SUV/car, no worries with FWD.

Plan on using it as a truck? (you say no towing or rough terrain, but how about heavy loading in the bed?) FWD is just plain stupid, IMO. You've not only effectively taken the weight off your steering, but also your drive wheels. Less than ideal, me thinks. :wink:

Reactions: sidewinderTX

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have fwd and regularly load over 1200lbs of cinder block in the bed and handles and accelerates great. I have zero interest in the awd and its $1900 cheaper.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I had a FWD 2011 Pilot and detested it. Doesn’t drive as well as AWD and if you ever drive on the interstate in the rain you’ll appreciate the additional grip and reduced hydroplaning.

You’re missing a lot of the driving experience with the FWD. AWD is more than worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I drove them both back to back and felt the 4WD one felt more truck-like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts