Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luckily my best friend was in the truck and I always roll the windows down half way when pets are inside.

Was working outside the truck, exited the vehicle like usual, leaving the keys on top of the dash board, directly above where it tells the speed. Went about my work, about 5 mins later walked up to open the door and all doors were locked! This would have resulted in a broken window and been a serious situation as I was 30 miles away from the second set of keys and if the dog was in there getting hot (yes it's warm here) it would have turned into an emergency quickly.

I did mean to turn this feature off, because my 2019 Accord sport did this to me at a gas station once, the situation was even worse because I was far from home, and my PHONE was inside the car with the keys, which you could actually see, in the passenger seat.. nothing on top of them. When I went inside the cashier didn't speak english and I had to beg her to let me use her phone. I then had to stand/sit there with the car, blocking a space, for almost 2 hours, at night.

Either way, this truck can do it too! There's your warning, turn this nice, but dangerous feature off!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
how is that possible the walk away locking is when you have the keys on your person when left in the car it should not lock ??
My guess is it’s similar to the truck occasionally thinking the key isn’t present, when it actually is. This happens to. Every month or two and then quickly resolves itself - like in seconds. I think some or all of the times it’s related to the fob being next to my phone in either the cup holder or my pocket.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that is what I am saying. I left the keys in the car, I walked away for 5 mins and it locked the doors within those 5 mins, luckily windows were down and I just reached in and grabbed the keys, then manually pushed the unlock button. Any touching of the door handle did not work. My accord did the same thing, trust me, I tried all different ways of opening it when I was stuck there for 2 hours looking at a gas station attendant.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I go to my remote cabin with no cell service and no spare key nearby, I either disable this feature for the weekend or deal with it locking, or leave the window down.

The consequence is too great to deal with any glitches or random problems with proximity systems

Mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
maybe your dog touched the lock button from the inside that would lock it lol
She was in the back :) I haven't even looked - is there a lock button back there? I guess it's possible.
I was going to say, if your dog jumped into the driver's seat (as mine loves to do even though he's supposed to stay in the back) and put her paws up on the door armrest to look out the window she could have easily stepped on the lock button.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
That's just weird. I can't even fathom how such a code malfunction would occur. Seems like a walk-away lock failure would be the truck failing to lock when the driver walks away with the fob in his pocket. On my 2020, if you leave the fob on the dash, open the door to get out, lock the truck with the master lock button on the door panel and then close the door, the truck promptly unlocks itself. I never want to be locked out of my truck for any reason, so I have a spare mechanical door key hidden on the exterior and a spare fob in a faraday bag hidden in the trunk.

One thing that took me awhile to figure out was the truck relocking itself after I used the fob's unlock button to open the locked tailgate but didn't actually open the drivers door until a few minutes later. It's explained in the owners manual and you can even change the delay time before it relocks in the customization menu. Now that I know how it works, I actually like this feature because it means if you lock the truck and then tuck the fob in a pocket as you walk away from the vehicle, you don't have to worry about the fob's unlock button getting accidentally pressed.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The Ridgeline is designed to never let you lock yourself out, I've tested this many times in many different ways, to the point it can be frustrating, try to leave the truck running on cold days in a parking lot and locking the doors, you simply can't do it. It's idiot proof.

It is possible, yours is malfunctioning, although unlikely. I would really test this out without the dog ;) before bringing it into the dealer, but it is for certain not designed to do this.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
308 Posts
Luckily my best friend was in the truck and I always roll the windows down half way when pets are inside.

Was working outside the truck, exited the vehicle like usual, leaving the keys on top of the dash board, directly above where it tells the speed. Went about my work, about 5 mins later walked up to open the door and all doors were locked! This would have resulted in a broken window and been a serious situation as I was 30 miles away from the second set of keys and if the dog was in there getting hot (yes it's warm here) it would have turned into an emergency quickly.

I did mean to turn this feature off, because my 2019 Accord sport did this to me at a gas station once, the situation was even worse because I was far from home, and my PHONE was inside the car with the keys, which you could actually see, in the passenger seat.. nothing on top of them. When I went inside the cashier didn't speak english and I had to beg her to let me use her phone. I then had to stand/sit there with the car, blocking a space, for almost 2 hours, at night.

Either way, this truck can do it too! There's your warning, turn this nice, but dangerous feature off!!
I got locked out of a Dodge rental because of that feature. In -15 degree weather. That's one of the first things I disabled when I bought my RL.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I wouldn't call that a walk-away lock failure, because that feature is only used when you have the key and walk away from the vehicle.

Why someone would leave the vehicle without the key in their pocket is a bit baffling. One of the great things about a smart key is that you do not have to take it out of your pocket. The only odd thing I do with my key(s) is keeping one in my work backpack. That way I can just grab my backpack and drive to work, then walk away from the truck when I get there. IF I need to stop anywhere, I take the key out of my bag and put it in my pocket.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Ridgeline is designed to never let you lock yourself out, I've tested this many times in many different ways, to the point it can be frustrating, try to leave the truck running on cold days in a parking lot and locking the doors, you simply can't do it. It's idiot proof.

It is possible, yours is malfunctioning, although unlikely. I would really test this out without the dog ;) before bringing it into the dealer, but it is for certain not designed to do this.
I can tell you that the 2019 accord was designed the same way and it absolutely locked me out while the key fob was inside on the passenger seat. I couldn't believe it! The dog was never up front.. this thing did the same thing.. def not enabling that feature.. 99.99% of the time the key is in my pocket, the .01% of time it isn't it'll sneak up on you and get ya!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's just weird. I can't even fathom how such a code malfunction would occur. Seems like a walk-away lock failure would be the truck failing to lock when the driver walks away with the fob in his pocket. On my 2020, if you leave the fob on the dash, open the door to get out, lock the truck with the master lock button on the door panel and then close the door, the truck promptly unlocks itself. I never want to be locked out of my truck for any reason, so I have a spare mechanical door key hidden on the exterior and a spare fob in a faraday bag hidden in the trunk.

One thing that took me awhile to figure out was the truck relocking itself after I used the fob's unlock button to open the locked tailgate but didn't actually open the drivers door until a few minutes later. It's explained in the owners manual and you can even change the delay time before it relocks in the customization menu. Now that I know how it works, I actually like this feature because it means if you lock the truck and then tuck the fob in a pocket as you walk away from the vehicle, you don't have to worry about the fob's unlock button getting accidentally pressed.
While I was messing around turning off auto lock I realized you can disable the tailgate lock too.. which is great, because that was annoying me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How do you turn off the auto locks? I hate this feature, it never works right. I'll lock the truck if it needs to be locked.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
While I was messing around turning off auto lock I realized you can disable the tailgate lock too.. which is great, because that was annoying me.
Turning off the walk-away lock feature is a good place to start, but what if that feature isn't the cause of your incident? You might want to have a back-up plan if the glitch were to happen again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Turning off the walk-away lock feature is a good place to start, but what if that feature isn't the cause of your incident? You might want to have a back-up plan if the glitch were to happen again.
Yeah, I just was given a reminder to never leave that key in the car!! After the accord locked me out for two hours at night in a weird part of town I've gotten in the habit of rolling down the window at gas stations... even though I have the key in my pocket. Never want to experience that again!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts