Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
288 Posts
I turned off the walk away lock feature because it was frustrating when parking in the garage. It would be nice in parking lots, but I've learned to just use the lock button on the door panel when exiting.

I later decided to use a faraday pouch, so that feature wouldn't work anyway. I actually prefer to seal the fob in the pouch after starting, but fear I may forget to take it with me when leaving. Maybe I'll try pocketing the pouch before driving away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It could absolutely been caused by the presence of your phone. When I have my phone and fob in the same pocket I can't unlock the truck by touching the outside door handle. If I take my phone out of my pocket it works normally. I could believe that the truck didn't know the fob was inside if the phone was interfering with the signal from the key fob.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It could absolutely been caused by the presence of your phone. When I have my phone and fob in the same pocket I can't unlock the truck by touching the outside door handle. If I take my phone out of my pocket it works normally. I could believe that the truck didn't know the fob was inside if the phone was interfering with the signal from the key fob.
Yea I could see that if his phone was also left sitting on the fob. I too have to carry my phone in the opposite pocket of my keys or it won't lock. I found out today my wireless ear buds do the same thing. So unless there was something sitting right next to his fob in the vehicle? Or is it possible there is something in the instrument panel causing interference so the vehicle thinks the keys are gone. I might try sitting my spare above just to see :p Every time I've done this (wife is in the car), I've set them on the console or in the cup holder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our '17 Sport has absolutely locked the doors (apparently randomly) with the key fob inside the vehicle. Thankfully, the first time it happened I was at home and retrieved the spare fob to unlock the door. It's happened since, so much so that I now have a "door only" key concealed so I can unlock manually if necessary.

Wasn't there some sort of issue with the button "assembly" in the driver's door that could cause this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Our '17 Sport has absolutely locked the doors (apparently randomly) with the key fob inside the vehicle. Thankfully, the first time it happened I was at home and retrieved the spare fob to unlock the door. It's happened since, so much so that I now have a "door only" key concealed so I can unlock manually if necessary.

Wasn't there some sort of issue with the button "assembly" in the driver's door that could cause this?
I just got my new Ridgeline and the walk away auto lock bothers me too. My Toyota 4Runner can be both locked and unlocked by touching the outside door handle. I wish this truck had that feature.

Where did you get your door only key?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Luckily my best friend was in the truck and I always roll the windows down half way when pets are inside.

Was working outside the truck, exited the vehicle like usual, leaving the keys on top of the dash board, directly above where it tells the speed. Went about my work, about 5 mins later walked up to open the door and all doors were locked! This would have resulted in a broken window and been a serious situation as I was 30 miles away from the second set of keys and if the dog was in there getting hot (yes it's warm here) it would have turned into an emergency quickly.

I did mean to turn this feature off, because my 2019 Accord sport did this to me at a gas station once, the situation was even worse because I was far from home, and my PHONE was inside the car with the keys, which you could actually see, in the passenger seat.. nothing on top of them. When I went inside the cashier didn't speak english and I had to beg her to let me use her phone. I then had to stand/sit there with the car, blocking a space, for almost 2 hours, at night.

Either way, this truck can do it too! There's your warning, turn this nice, but dangerous feature off!!
My 2017 RTL-T won't lock with the keys in the vehicle. It feels 6 or 7 times to show it's not locked.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I stopped in at physical therapy 2 years ago in my 2019 RTL-T and left my keys with fob on center console. When I came out 90 minutes later doors were locked. I opened my truck with my viper cell phone app that has a lock/unlock feature. I got it so when at work in my work truck I could start and warm up my Ridgeline before I got back to the shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Accord would not let me lock the keys anywhere in the vehicle but the RL will. Locked my phone and keys in my gym bag in the bed, it was not a good night. There is now a hidden key under the truck, they're laser cut so not all locksmith's make them, $20 fix for my stupidity.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
14 Posts
You're right. I started to put my phone in my key pocket. When I exited the truck and started to walk away, it beeped angrily 5 or 6 times. Any electronic signal or magnetic object affects the key. Now I have phone in right pocket and the key never leaves the left.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Okay so we have some people in here who say "not possible" and then we have a few others who say it's happened to them.

I have personally had it happen to me once in the accord and now once in the ridgeline. Just wanted you guys to be aware that it can (and does) happen. One poster here had it happen at home (lucky!) another one had it happen at the gym (booo!) - I can tell you standing outside at a gas station for 2 hours at night was not fun.

Just wanted you all to be aware that it CAN (and does) happen !!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts