Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I narrowed my replacement tire choices down to the three choices from Michelin Crossclimate2, Pirelli Scoprions and Continental Crosscontact LX25 in that order. The Michelin Crossclimate2 get rave reviews from Consumer Reports, Tirerack and others, but when I went to my local Discount Tire shop they said they are backordered and they wouldn't be able to get them for at least a few weeks. I looked online and no one has them in stock, that's when I then discovered my 2nd choice tire, the Pirelli Scoprions are on sale at WalMart for $160.23 each.

I purchased the tires on-line and scheduled to have them mounted and balanced at WalMart. This morning I went in to get them mounted, I introduced myself to the tech who would be mounting the tires and told him I was very picky about my vehicles and asked him if it would be possible to replace the tires without scratching the rims. He told me the tire mounting equipment hadn't been updated since the store was built and I'd be better off buying the tires and taking them to Discount Tire to have them mounted.

We loaded the Pirellis in my truck and I headed to Discount Tire. The man at the counter warned me the wait would be 2-hours and then he wrote up the job ticket, moved my truck to another parking spot and put the job ticket on the dash and a number on top of the truck. I went out and put a note next to the shifter "$20 tip if you can get all four tires mounted without scratching the rims". I watched the mechanic read the note when he drove the truck into his bay and he took his time and was very meticulous. The man at the counter apologized that my wait was a bit over three hours and he charged me $25 per tire for mounting and balancing instead of the $35 they quoted because it took so long. The mechanic drove my truck up to the front and I walked around and inspected the rims, not a single scratch or scuff mark, so I gladly tipped him $20.

Pirelli Scorpions $160.23

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How’s your perceptions so far vs stock Firestones?
TIA
I’ve only driven it on the highway home from the shop. So far I’m very pleased, they are a lot quieter and smoother.

· Registered
13 Posts
Coolbob….. thanks for the post I was looking at these tires yesterday online ….. I just ordered a set from Walmart will have them in three days…. I just bought my 2023 RTL new vehicle two days ago and wanted to switch out the Firestone’s LE2 looking forward to the new tires!….. this website is great!

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@JuanTrippe I've had the opportunity to put a few more miles on the Scorpions and they are indeed quieter. What road noise they do have seems to be s slightly higher pitch than the OEM Firestones. They also seem to dampen expansion joints a little better as well. Both characteristics may be from simply having more tread than my Firestones which were getting close to the wear bars. One other thing I noticed is the Scorpions seem to track very straight down the road, it takes more steering effort to change lanes or initiate a turn than the Firestones. I like the feeling, it reminds me of my Audis which had firmer steering assist compared to the Ridgeline.

· Registered
94 Posts
Thanks CoolBob. Just ordered a set to replace OEMs with only 10k. Always look forward to first change out to a higher quality tire. BTW Pirelli has a $70 rebate on these with today being last day to purchase.
Ride On

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went from these to the Michelin CC2 with the MDX.... the CC2 have better wet traction than the pirellis had on dry pavement
Yea, from all the data I could find the Michelin CC2 are the best in their class. But, I could not find them in stock, or expected to arrive within a month anywhere. I did find one place that had them in stock at almost $300 each. Fortunately, there are lots of tires available that are better than the Firestone Destination LE2s and finding the Pirellis on sale made my decision easy.

· Registered
12 Posts
I narrowed my replacement tire choices down to the three choices from Michelin Crossclimate2, Pirelli Scoprions and Continental Crosscontact LX25 in that order. The Michelin Crossclimate2 get rave reviews from Consumer Reports, Tirerack and others, but when I went to my local Discount Tire shop they said they are backordered and they wouldn't be able to get them for at least a few weeks. I looked online and no one has them in stock, that's when I then discovered my 2nd choice tire, the Pirelli Scoprions are on sale at WalMart for $160.23 each.

I purchased the tires on-line and scheduled to have them mounted and balanced at WalMart. This morning I went in to get them mounted, I introduced myself to the tech who would be mounting the tires and told him I was very picky about my vehicles and asked him if it would be possible to replace the tires without scratching the rims. He told me the tire mounting equipment hadn't been updated since the store was built and I'd be better off buying the tires and taking them to Discount Tire to have them mounted.

We loaded the Pirellis in my truck and I headed to Discount Tire. The man at the counter warned me the wait would be 2-hours and then he wrote up the job ticket, moved my truck to another parking spot and put the job ticket on the dash and a number on top of the truck. I went out and put a note next to the shifter "$20 tip if you can get all four tires mounted without scratching the rims". I watched the mechanic read the note when he drove the truck into his bay and he took his time and was very meticulous. The man at the counter apologized that my wait was a bit over three hours and he charged me $25 per tire for mounting and balancing instead of the $35 they quoted because it took so long. The mechanic drove my truck up to the front and I walked around and inspected the rims, not a single scratch or scuff mark, so I gladly tipped him $20.

Pirelli Scorpions $160.23
What size did you end up putting on? OEM or 265?

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@timmonsdesign I stuck with OEM size. I'm still really liking the Scorpions on the Ridgeline and our Honda Accord Touring was in need of new tires so I bought a set of Pirelli's at Sam's Club recently when Sam's had an instant $80 rebate on a set of four. I picked them up as Sam's and had them mounted the same as on my Ridgeline.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts