Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to the navigation screen, the G1 RTL-Navi option offered a bunch of other features that are lacking in the standard RTL: Bluetooth; Voice Commands; and a more sophisticated Multi-Information Display in the dash.

My 2014 RTL is non-Navi.

I realize there are state-of-the-art double-din HU options (e.g. Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood) I can install in my RTL that will give me a navigation screen/HU.

But do any of these products get you EVERYTHiNG that was offered with the Navi option? Will they interface with the vehicle's electronics (via OBD or??) and display the additional info shown in the RTL-Navi/SE MID? And provide bluetooth as well as voice activated interface with the hvac, etc??

Or is it primarily a nav screen/CarPlay you get with the installation of the double-din HU?

I guess I'm asking whether there is any way to get ALL the features of the "Navi" option by upgrading the HU?

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I know you can purchase a new HU with all those features, may cost s little more but its up to you on what options you want from new HU.. Me for instance, I own the pioneer 5100 which has gps, camera inputs,etc.. Only paid $500.00 for, could got more bells and whistles but to much money for me..

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
I short Yes. You can get everything and way more in a modern Double Din HU replacement for the 2005 tech in the 2014 Ridgeline. You just have to add a steering control module, and a small amp if you wish to keep the factory Sub. Most of the Honda installed equipment (Nav disc reader, Sirius XM tuner etc) were not compatible after my upgrade. Some have used the stock camera but I replaced mine.
I have the Kenwood DNX893S in my 2014 SE and love it.

Here is a review of the top seven Nav HU's...

https://www.caraudionow.com/best-in-dash-gps-navigation/

Also checkout Crutchfield for full specs of any HU you may consider...

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/In-dash-GPS-Navigation.html?tp=20212&o=d

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...233-kenwood-excelon-dnx893s-hu-install-2.html

Reactions: ISO Truck

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
I also believe the iDatalink Maestro RR, would get you pretty close. Remember that the Bluetooth on the Navi units had either 2 or 3 extra buttons on the lower right hand side (below the cruise controls) of the steering wheel. The Maestro allows "hidden" programming with the standard buttons on the left side opposite the cruise controls.

Now will you get everything, not sure but don't think so. But the Maestro also will allow some HU to pickup OBD 2 reading, volt meter, actual temp, or at least it did on his Toyota Sienna, he bought last fall.

When I went to see him for Christmas, we drove down to Charlottesville, VA and had the install done at Crutchfield, we spent 2 nights in a hotel, dropped off about noon on Monday, picked it up at 5 or 6 pm on Tuesday, played with it that night and stopped by to have some final tweaks done on Wednesday morning, before heading back to MD.

Dad or I have some contact info (installer name and sales person) our installer had been doing that type of work for 20+ years. And with dad living in a condo, there is no place to work on it, I know he paid $$$, but the quality of work is top notch and very easy to work with.

Reactions: ISO Truck

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gents.

So Carsmak, I get down to Charlottesville fairly regularly. If you can dig up that contact info for the installer down there, I may want to look him up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts