Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I saw a post on here about someone using it for their transmission but I can not find it again.
I am waiting delivery on a, BA024R10, its a universal digital gauge that reads temperature up to 248F.
I am looking to monitor transmission temps.
Two things:
1. Anyone using one?
2. Fitting the metric sending unit threads to a Tee?
Thank you in advance for your time.
I have a 2007

·
Registered
315 Posts
Several folks here are monitoring tranny fluid temp, and a number of other temps/info, via the OBDII port using a digital reader/scanner. I use a ScanGauge II and currently have it displaying engine coolant temp, tranny fluid temp, intake air temp and ignition advance/retard. There are Bluetooth units available that plug into the OBDII port under the dash and your smartphone becomes the display.

Regarding the temp gauge you refer to, not sure where you would mount the sending unit to obtain an accurate tranny fluid temp reading.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,725 Posts
Several folks here are monitoring tranny fluid temp, and a number of other temps/info, via the OBDII port using a digital reader/scanner. I use a ScanGauge II.
Just FYI, the OBD protocol on some 1G RLs is not compatible with the ScanGauge II Transmission Fluid Temperature readout (the X-gauge programming doesn't work for TFT on some 1G). I do not know the 'cutoff date' for that limitation, but it's been discussed in posts here.

This is a function of a change / evolution in the 1G RL OBD communication protocol over it's long production life, nothing to do with the Scangauge per-se. All 2G RL use the same 'modern' OBD protocol.

Mentioning because the OP posted in the 1G subforum but doesn't give his model-year info.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Interesting, good to know. We had a 2005 Saturn Vue with the Honda 3.5L and 5 speed auto......ScanGauge displayed tranny temp no problem.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Interesting, good to know. We had a 2005 Saturn Vue with the Honda 3.5L and 5 speed auto......ScanGauge displayed tranny temp no problem.🤷‍♂️
Not surprising .... OBD protocol and coding is a vehicle manufacturer choice, totally independent of drivetrain mechanicals, there's a lot of different protocols and codings that have been used by different vehicle manufacturers.

A hint of that on this Scangauge page, and of the Honda variations over time on this page, which includes the following about Honda vehicles over the 2002-2007 model years, which of course captures the early 1G RL:

2004 - 2007
Between 2003 and 2007 Honda / Acrua [sic] began rolling out the CAN protocol to their vehicles. Thus vehicles between 2003 – 2007 may use CANLF or the protocol they typically used from 1996 – 2002.
ISO or CANLF

The 'rollout' of the current Honda / Acura CANLF protocol was not 'instant' / concurrent across all models in the lineup. That's fairly common when other manufacturers implement such changes, too.

Linear Logic is careful to point-out that the specific data that can be displayed on the Scangauge varies from vehicle to vehicle.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was unaware of the Honda/ScanGauge incompatibilities.....even using search, sometimes newbies miss previously discussed/addressed subjects. Again, good info to know. Hope the OP will keep us informed how his install goes, especially where the sending unit is placed. I just presumed since the ScanGauge displayed tranny temp in a 05 Saturn with a Honda motor/tranny, it would display tranny temp in a G1 Rigi. My bad.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Certainly nothing to apologize about @HRL383, just sharing info I thought you and the OP might find interesting :)

As I'm interested, too, in learning what the OP works out, so back to following that ..... ;)

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
235 Posts
The way I see it if the OP wanted to read the trans fluid temp with a probe and gauge he/she has a couple of options.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the trans have a pan on the bottom? If so you could drill/tap an opening for a fitting and read from there.
Or the trans fluid lines that go to the radiator. Splice a TEE fitting and read from there.

Myself, the Scangauge is the is the most elegant way to read these temps plus you get all the other info that is available.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello and thank you for the input.
I looked into the scan gauge and called them. In a 2007 it will not read the tranny temp.
I think the only way to read it is old school by taping a line.
Looking for KOSO info. from a user

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well that's a bummer Honda doesn't provide tranny fluid temp info the Scangauge will read. Still seems weird that tranny fluid temps displayed in '05 Saturn with a Honda 5 speed tranny, but not display in an '07 Rigi. Oh well.🤷‍♂️

I've installed a B&M #70264 cooler in numerous vehicles as auxiliary, secondary tranny cooler. The instructions for max tranny cooling say....install the B&M in line with and after the factory (internal radiator) tranny cooler. I never saw tranny fluid temp exceed 175F in our '05 Saturn, '09 RAV4, '09 GMC V8 Canyon and hopefully the Rigi.

Usually, the pan/lower area of a auto tranny holds cool, cooler or cooled tranny fluid. Installing a gauge sending unit there will likely give a false/low tranny fluid temp reading. For a more accurate fluid temp reading, the "hot line" (fluid flowing from the tranny to the radiator) needs to be identified and that's where the gauge sending unit needs to be T'd in. You want to monitor hot fluid temps, not cooled fluid temps.

All the vehicles I've owned with traditional auto trannies had the hot tranny fluid pumped to the cold tank of the radiator, that held the tranny fluid cooler, and cooled fluid then flowed back to the tranny pan/sump. If I'm understanding correct, that's the way it is on the G1 Rigi, but not that way on the G2

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I remember correctly (traded it for a titan, hated that POS, and now have a amazing 2012 RL), I believe 210ish, After the SMOD I bypassed the radiator so it was only going to the cooler, which I was surprised that it worked very well. It would cool it down pretty quickly when the truck was moving.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,133 Posts
Exchanger in the radiator serves to help get the fluid up to temp more quickly and to provide a stabilizing influence on the trans fluid temp. In some situations it also probably acts as a cooler particularly in slow moving yet trans heat intensive scenarios like boat ramps, slow uphill towing and off road + poor traction. It would have been educational to see the temp behavior before and after bypassing the oil to water exchanger in the radiator . . .

·
Registered
964 Posts
Can anyone find the thread here where a member put a bunch of thermocouples on the ATF lines of their G1? I recall that work as showing that the engine coolant radiator circuit rarely to never heats the ATF; it’s essentially just a cooler.

Anyway, it would be very interesting to compare ATF temps in that cooler line vs the factory temp sensor location.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
Can anyone find the thread here where a member put a bunch of thermocouples on the ATF lines of their G1? I recall that work as showing that the engine coolant radiator circuit rarely to never heats the ATF; it’s essentially just a cooler.

Anyway, it would be very interesting to compare ATF temps in that cooler line vs the factory temp sensor location.
Search threads by @OhSix, he did the thermocouple install

Thinking this is the thread: Understanding the transmission cooling circuit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts