Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a beloved 2007 G1 warhorse with 152k miles, bought in 2011 with 49k miles. It runs great (of course) and still drives very well, but the interior is somewhat worn, there's rust over the left rear wheel and the right fender is peeling clearcoat - overall just getting to a grungier kinda state. Recently my wife (aka the finance director) said "Maybe you should get a newer truck." What a nice girl she is (my wife, not the truck).

Started looking at used G2s and learned quickly that instead of paying high 20, maybe 30 for an RTL with 20k miles, I can go new for 32k via 2019 model-year clearance. However, I did just find a spotless 2017 in maroon (or whatever they call it) with tan interior with 49k miles (like my G1 had) for 25.8k, and I haven't negotiated. Buying at that point in the G1's lifespan worked out well for me; would be nice to keep another 7k in my pocket.

I do like the way the G2 tracks, and part of that might be because my G1 no doubt has worn suspension/steering parts, and it runs really strong - you can tell the HP has been increased and the transmission updated. The issues I'm thinking my way through are:

- I thought my G1 was somewhat carlike, but the G2 really does feel like a car. That's mostly good, but kinda bland in that sense.

- Not sure about the low-sided bed. I often have to step onto a tire to reach something in the G1 bed, so that easy reach would be nice, but when hauling furniture or especially a refrigerator (not often, but it happens with family & neighbors), there's something reassuring about those tall sides up against the cabin.

- Why did they make the trunk smaller? It's still awesome, but more is better!

- I believe the dimensions are similar, but how did they manage to make the G2 feel SMALLER inside? For one thing, should've left the shift lever on the column because it allows for more floor space, adding to the "open" feel. I often set my camera there, or my wife puts her purse there, etc. The driver's position FEELS lower, but I measured the G1 and the G2 - seat height is 32" for each, so apparently an illusion.

Drove an F150 just to see how that felt, and it was nice enough, but too big - confirmed that I require a midsize. Can't bring myself to consider a GM product, and the Jeep is too expensive, and I bet doesn't feel great on the road. Don't need the offroad ability of the Taco (and have a Lexus GX if I care to get adventurous; unlikely), and what else is there?

Also, my wife said I'm addicted to having the trunk, and I know she's right about that. Maybe I should be looking for a later-model G1.

Any thoughts? Former G1 owners who moved to G2 might have especially pertinent insight for me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,717 Posts
I moved from a 2008 G1 to a 2017 G2 and have no regrets. One of the things I like the most about the newer Ridgeline is the composite material on the bed. It does not scratch like the previous generation. Mine still looks great after nearly 3 years of moderate use. Also, you get 4" more bed length with the G2. I considered purchasing a used 2012-2014 G1, but it seemed like they all were neglected and showed extreme signs of wear even after only 3 years.

I like the interior of the G2 better as it seems a little more upscale. I know G1 owners prefer the location of the shifter which allows for more storage area in the front seat area. There is more legroom in the rear seat of the G1, but that was not a deal breaker for me. I was never especially fond of the large door handles on the G1. The hidden trunk is still a great feature, that I sorely missed when I sold my 2008 and purchased a 2012 Tundra.

My 2017 RTL-T drives and rides like a dream. It tracks (as you mentioned) straight down the road with no wobble or pulling to either side. The touch infotainment screen can be a little irritating at times, but it works fine in most instances. The black plastic wheel well inserts are a pain to keep clean and nice looking. I regularly apply a cleaner to them, but they still look faded again after a couple of months in the sun.

I don't think you can go wrong with either generation, but I agree with you that the prices of used Ridgelines is still on the high side.

Good luck on your hunt for a new Ridgeline. Prices have come down a little on used, but more on new ones as the 2020 is on the horizon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent report on your G1/G2 experience - really appreciate the input.

On the + side, my wife has always said the '07 feels too big, and she doesn't have a good feel for where the ends of it are, so she doesn't typically just hop in it for errands, etc. (Kind of ironic coming from a girl who drives a very tall SUV.) However when we were test driving the G2 she said "I'd be fine driving this one".

We drove a new black G2 with black interior, and I had the impression of limited space. I was pleased that the used G2 with tan interior felt more open/less cramped - an illusion of course, but whatever works!

Might go with the obsidian blue/light grey interior. What color combo do you have?

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I know you are looking for Gen1 owners that have upgraded to the Gen2, but I too am a Gen1 owner and have been looking at, studying, and monitoring the Gen2 to see if it's worth upgrading. My 09 RTL is still going strong and looking good, so I don't need an upgrade. But having something that was more capable, just as comfortable, and just as "parkable" is always of interest. As I do this, I cannot convince myself that the Gen2 is enough of an improvement in performance and capability to make me fork out my hard earned cash. Yes, it's got a lot more tech, but that is a "nice to have" vise an increase in capability to me. Plus, the problems everyone is reporting/commenting on makes me want to wait for the 2020 refresh and see how it holds up. Plus, the looks of the Gen2 are "to soft" for my liking. Although, the Gen1 is no looker either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you are looking for Gen1 owners that have upgraded to the Gen2, but I too am a Gen1 owner and have been looking at, studying, and monitoring the Gen2 to see if it's worth upgrading. My 09 RTL is still going strong and looking good, so I don't need an upgrade. But having something that was more capable, just as comfortable, and just as "parkable" is always of interest. As I do this, I cannot convince myself that the Gen2 is enough of an improvement in performance and capability to make me fork out my hard earned cash. Yes, it's got a lot more tech, but that is a "nice to have" vise an increase in capability to me. Plus, the problems everyone is reporting/commenting on makes me want to wait for the 2020 refresh and see how it holds up. Plus, the looks of the Gen2 are "to soft" for my liking. Although, the Gen1 is no looker either.
Thanks for the input. That's kinda where I am with respect to the G2, except that I'm at a point where it makes sense to look for a replacement vehicle. Just hoping to be as happy with the next truck as I've been with this one.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I'll chime in here as well. The best-looking part of my G1, to me anyway, is the angled bed. If the G2's had that, I wouldn't consider anything else. I just think it looks too much like the rest of the trucks now.
With only 95k on my 2011, it's just breaking in anyway, so I don't have to worry about getting rid of it!! Good luck man!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I came to my 2018 RTL-E from a 2007 RTS. The G1 was a joy to drive. Quiet smooth ride on the open road. Ease of handling in the city and could handle the tight parking spaces in the newer strip malls going up. Not to mention the extra room in my garage. I use my vehicles as a truck! Runs to HD or Lowes, runs to the landfill with demolition material, wood mulch each spring, moving the kids from apartments to their own homes, pulling a fully loaded 6x16 Uhaul trailer across the country. You name it, I've done it in my Ridge. Not a single repair other than the normal brake jobs and fluid changes in 120,000 miles. Paint was as good as new and not a spec of rust on it. From December to April there is more salt on the roads in the Twin Cities, MN area than snow.

As much as I enjoyed my 2007, I must say my 2018 is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Smoother and quieter than my wife's Lexus RX350 and most recently her Lincoln MKX. In fact, sold her Lincoln for a Ford Escape as we just use the Escape as a local runner. The Ridge is now for all of our long range travel. I couldn't be happier. Still has all the utility of the G1 but in a much better overall package Granddaughter loves riding in "Papa's Truck".

Yes it would be nice if it had a little more masculine appearance but if masculine means the ride quality of the Tacoma or new Ford Ranger, no thank you! If this [email protected] treats me as well as the 2007 did it was a no brainer decision.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. That's kinda where I am with respec, except that I'm at a point where it makes sense to look for a replacement vehicle. Just hoping to be as happy with the next truck as I've been with this one.
I came to my 2018 RTL-E from a 2007 RTS. The G1 was a joy to drive. Quiet smooth ride on the open road. Ease of handling in the city and could handle the tight parking spaces in the newer strip malls going up. Not to mention the extra room in my garage. I use my vehicles as a truck! Runs to HD or Lowes, runs to the landfill with demolition material, wood mulch each spring, moving the kids from apartments to their own homes, pulling a fully loaded 6x16 Uhaul trailer across the country. You name it, I've done it in my Ridge. Not a single repair other than the normal brake jobs and fluid changes in 120,000 miles. Paint was as good as new and not a spec of rust on it. From December to April there is more salt on the roads in the Twin Cities, MN area than snow.

As much as I enjoyed my 2007, I must say my 2018 is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Smoother and quieter than my wife's Lexus RX350 and most recently her Lincoln MKX. In fact, sold her Lincoln for a Ford Escape as we just use the Escape as a local runner. The Ridge is now for all of our long range travel. I couldn't be happier. Still has all the utility of the G1 but in a much better overall package Granddaughter loves riding in "Papa's Truck".

Yes it would be nice if it had a little more masculine appearance but if masculine means the ride quality of the Tacoma or new Ford Ranger, no thank you! If this [email protected] treats me as well as the 2007 did it was a no brainer decision.
Your use of the Ridgeline sounds a lot like mine, from loading the bed with anything, anytime, to enjoying the drive, and right down to my 3 year old grandson wanting to "drive Apaw's truck" in the driveway with the radio on - loud.

I'd redesign the front end a little not to look like a CR-V (etc.), but then again I've always called my G1 "ugly", though not maliciously. 20 years ago my 14 year old daughter said "Dad, don't try to be cool.", and she's still right :)

Our other primary vehicle is a 016 GX460 that we bought used in January, and it'd be nice if the truck were also a vehicle my wife would be inclined to jump in and go. She doesn't mind riding in the G1, but in the test drive of the G2 said "this one doesn't feel too big like our truck". I can certainly see us traveling in the G2.

I might've mentioned this, but when I said we should in "due diligence" check out the GMs, the Ranger, etc., she said I'd be miserable without the trunk. That girl's right a lot, lol.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have my doubts about the longevity of the G2. The poorer build quality and the DI technology will make it tough to beat a G1 in that department.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have my doubts about the longevity of the G2. The poorer build quality and the DI technology will make it tough to beat a G1 in that department.
Guess I should read more on this forum, but what kind of build quality issues are common?

Also, what's "DI technology"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Guess I should read more on this forum, but what kind of build quality issues are common?

Also, what's "DI technology"?

Thanks.
Fit, finish, play in the power windows, fuel filler feels loose, junky. Radio knobs feel junky. My steering makes a noise now, It may be the clock spring, or something under the hood or both and I have only 17k miles on a 3 year old garaged truck. I also have an engine knock that's not normal. This truck will not be a keeper to own 10 years. I'll just use it as a winter beater and get something else to use in the nicer weather. Not what Honda used to be. DI is the direct fuel injection which is a high pressure system that injects fuel directly into the cylinder instead of the intake port. This is an example of .a huge change in the parts needed to deliver fuel for not a lot of benefit in my opinion It creates extra noise form a high pressure fuel pump and the injectors make a clicking noise as well. There's a rash of owners that have had to have injetors replaced. Outside of warranty this is around $1500-$2000. Never heard of injectors failing until now. I see lots of G1's on the road and the bodies/paint look great for older vehicles. Granted, I don't care for the look of the G1 but there's no denying they there are lots of older ones on the road.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the heads-up on the issues.

One issue I've had with my '07 is paint - the clearcoat peeled off a fender and the hood so I had them repainted...and now the other fender is peeling...but the bigger problem is rust over the left rear wheel, and the right looks like it's starting.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Is this purchased based on want and not need? If you have such a luxury of $$$, then buy the G2. If you determine that you are fine with the G1, then you do not have to. If you want to trade it up, wait till the 2020 is released and see how you like it in the test drive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this purchased based on want and not need? If you have such a luxury of $$$, then buy the G2. If you determine that you are fine with the G1, then you do not have to. If you want to trade it up, wait till the 2020 is released and see how you like it in the test drive.
I’d say more “want”, and while I’m not eager to blow $, I’m about due to refresh. My wife’s idea - that’s a big plus.

Is the 2020 supposed to change much? Was thinking 2019 because they’re being discounted - 37-38k RTL for 31.9k.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good thread!
I've had my 08 for a little over a year now. I'm happy with it and expect to get a decade more out of it.
The thought has crossed my mind that I should keep my eye out for a replacement at some time in the future. Considering I like my RL, another RL is on the top of the list. I don't know if it will be a late G1, G2 or possibly a G3. Tracking peoples opinions will help in the decision. My only worry is being forced to replace my current G1 earlier than I would like (accident, major repair, etc.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Good thread!
I've had my 08 for a little over a year now. I'm happy with it and expect to get a decade more out of it.
Our most recent "new" car was purchased in latter 2000 and creeping up on 400,000 miles! :oops:

It shouldn't be too far fetched to expect to get at least the equivalent out of our 2019 Ridgeline, don't ya think? :unsure:

Bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts