Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m a new member and owner of a 2019 AWD sport.

I’m enjoying the truck but have keenly aware over the last 2k of how much my gas pedal transmits vibrations and road chatter. On a 14hr trip my foot was beginning to go numb.

I’m curious if anyone else out there has experienced this issue. I checked the boards but couldn't find any related posts. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
I’ve not noticed that, but I use the ACC whenever possible, especially on long distance drives.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree ACC is the fix for this on long drives. I’m sensitive to input on cars. Probably too much so...

I still can get past how much vibration there is just around town.

·
Administrator
20,606 Posts
I haven't noticed this on either my 2017 or 2019 Ridgelines. I find the concern interesting because the accelerator pedal assembly is mounted to the body, but there's no mechanical connection to the engine - only an electrical connection to the ECM.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zroger73, thx for feedback. I’ll keep an eye on it and bring it up at my first scheduled service.

I should clarify, I don’t believe I’m picking up engine input but more a translation of road surface. It is clearly muted on smoother roads. My annoyance is how sensitive it appears. I’m able to discern small changes in road quality. I know this appears I’m overly anal, but even my wife, who does not usually notice these things, made a comment about it.

Zroger73, would you described your pedal input while driving?

I’m just curious how many other owners have noticed it.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I have not noticed this with my 2019, but I can’t travel for long distance due to my location (island).

Could you be feeling vibrations through the heel of your foot?
Could it be your seating position, over time that causes your foot to go numb?

I’m just wondering what could make the pedal vibrate to that degree.

It will be interesting what come out of this thread for the reason.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I've always talked about a very slight vibration in the gas pedal when talking about VCM. My Accord does it as well. I don't know if it is the torque converter clutch, cylinder deactivation a combination of both or me just being crazy.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Drove today on a very crappy road and gas pedal does vibrate BUT so does the dead pedal so to me it’s just the crappy roads that cause the vibration.
On smooth roads no vibration on gas pedal or on dead-pedal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appears this accelerator is used on a number of Honda models. A few members over on the Odyssey forum have also been trying to figure this out.
I’ve noticed that the vibrations appear diminished when the car is warmed up.

If it is body vibration from direct mounting to body, I wonder if rubber washers on the mounting bolts would have been a good idea. Though I’m perplexed why more are not experiencing this if it is as simple a cause as that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:
Had my oil changed and the Honda tech look at the issue 3 weeks ago, and surprise, they said it was normal for the truck. I thought there’s no way but arguing with them never gets anywhere. Within a week the vibration worsened with acceleration and at all cruising speeds. I called them back got a new service tech and the service manager involved. They came back with the same answer, that it’s “normal” for the ridgeline. I asked what they thought about the fact that this did not occur at purchase, they insinuated the truck was new then. Really?! It has 6k miles on it.
I’m now completely bummed on having purchased this vehicle. I suppose having an independent mechanic take a look is my next option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update:
Had my oil changed and the Honda tech look at the issue 3 weeks ago, and surprise, they said it was normal for the truck. I thought there’s no way but arguing with them never gets anywhere. Within a week the vibration worsened with acceleration and at all cruising speeds. I called them back got a new service tech and the service manager involved. They came back with the same answer, that it’s “normal” for the ridgeline. I asked what they thought about the fact that this did not occur at purchase, they insinuated the truck was new then. Really?! It has 6k miles on it.
I’m now completely bummed on having purchased this vehicle. I suppose having an independent mechanic take a look is my next option.
could it be tire balance issue? I felt increase in vibration after a tire rotation at the dealer. I rotated the tires back and it seem better. I hoping its nothing major but planning to get it check out.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T
17 Posts
Yeah I've noticed it for the past 10k+ miles on my 2017. I've had different sets of tires and wheels with multiple balancing including road force balancing from different shops. Feels the same. It's sad my girlfriends 2016 ford focus se and my 06 S2000 have ZERO feedback in the pedal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I've noticed it for the past 10k+ miles on my 2017. I've had different sets of tires and wheels with multiple balancing including road force balancing from different shops. Feels the same. It's sad my girlfriends 2016 ford focus se and my 06 S2000 have ZERO feedback in the pedal.
So, some good and bad news: I took the ridge to a new dealer, an hour drive out of my county. The small town dealership was great; these guys spent 2 hours looking at the truck and drove it 35 miles diagnosing it. They found the TSB 17-083 for Pilots and Ridgelines.

Looks like some of the trucks were leaving the factory with the hood edge cushions at their lowest setting. The hood was vibrating through the mounts at the firewall. The adjustment initially fixed the issue! The truck was again smooth on acceleration and at highway speeds. I was so relieved... Until today, 150 mile drive and again back to the constant hum under the foot. I checked the cushions and they are as adjusted ( I marked the setting). Crazy thing is low speeds are smooth but anything above 40-50 is garbage. I gotta say what a cheap feeling you get driving at 35K truck to have that happen. I was wrecked, again.

I'll look into the tire balance but I'm about to swallow at 3-5K hit to be out from under of this shitty driving experience. Too bad, I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So, some good and bad news: I took the ridge to a new dealer, an hour drive out of my county. The small town dealership was great; these guys spent 2 hours looking at the truck and drove it 35 miles diagnosing it. They found the TSB 17-083 for Pilots and Ridgelines.

Looks like some of the trucks were leaving the factory with the hood edge cushions at their lowest setting. The hood was vibrating through the mounts at the firewall. The adjustment initially fixed the issue! The truck was again smooth on acceleration and at highway speeds. I was so relieved... Until today, 150 mile drive and again back to the constant hum under the foot. I checked the cushions and they are as adjusted ( I marked the setting). Crazy thing is low speeds are smooth but anything above 40-50 is garbage. I gotta say what a cheap feeling you get driving at 35K truck to have that happen. I was wrecked, again.

I'll look into the tire balance but I'm about to swallow at 3-5K hit to be out from under of this shitty driving experience. Too bad, I'll keep you updated.
My 2017 RTL-E does that too fter they rotated and balanced the tires, it never did it all before that but not it does itonce I get above about 53 mph and from then on it's constant. I'm going to get the tires rebalanced at a different place to see if that fixes it as the when I told the Dealer to rotate and balance the tires said "you want them balanced too..why? We will rotate them for free but you have to pay for balancing them." I said YES I want them balanced too, I'm thinking maybe the guy didn't do it very often so might not have done a good job balancing them. At first I thought it was just because I had 10k on the tires after 2 years but it's been 3 months and a couple thousand miles and no change at all.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
If the vibration is due to tire imbalance or a defective tire, you usually can tell if the vibration is coming from the front or the rear. If it’s the front tires, the vibration is usually felt more in the steering wheel. A vibration of the rear tires is usually felt in the seat or floorboards. If you can tell, rotate the drivers side tires and see if the vibration shifts. If not, rotate the passenger tires and see what happens. In the past, I’ve been able to narrow the vibration down to a specific tire.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My pedal does exactly as described, soft vibration that mimics road conditions. I've always just assumed the pedal assembly wasn't well isolated from the floor panel. I bet a bit of rubber or sound damping material under that area would fix it right up.

Honestly it doesn't feel like a problem. Definitely not a 'lemon' issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My pedal does exactly as described, soft vibration that mimics road conditions. I've always just assumed the pedal assembly wasn't well isolated from the floor panel. I bet a bit of rubber or sound damping material under that area would fix it right up.

Honestly it doesn't feel like a problem. Definitely not a 'lemon' issue.
As previously noted, driving a 35K truck should not feel like driving a used truck with 200K. I'd agree that pedal vibration mimicking road conditions is normal. I can differentiate between the two to clarify.

And maybe this is not a 'lemon' issue by definition, but I feel like I have a problem I shouldn't be having on a relatively new vehicle that is ruining my enjoyment of the truck.

Last, I've pulled the pedal assembly and placed sound and vibration dampening materials without success. What I'm experiencing is far more of an issue than road vibration.

Thanks for your input

1 - 20 of 39 Posts