Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I have not recognized any pedal vibration in our 2019, but am I correct in understanding that the accelerator pedal is attached to a switch which is then bolted to the firewall, there is no direct mechanical connection to anything else? If I am correct, then any vibration one is feeling through the pedal must be being transferring through the firewall itself, and should not only affect the accellerator pedal, but everything else attached to the firewall? ?

Bill

·
Administrator
20,657 Posts
I have not recognized any pedal vibration in our 2019, but am I correct in understanding that the accelerator pedal is attached to a switch which is then bolted to the firewall, there is no direct mechanical connection to anything else? If I am correct, then any vibration one is feeling through the pedal must be being transferring through the firewall itself, and should not only affect the accellerator pedal, but everything else attached to the firewall? ?

Bill
You are correct.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’ve noticed lately that I will get a day or two where the vibration is absent under 50mph and then a few days where it is present through speeds about 15-20mph. Weird, right?

My question is if the issue is a tire balance problem, would variations in tire pressure affect perceived imbalance?

I can’t think of any independent variable changes with the exception of temperature.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hello all, keeping the thread and hope for resolution alive.

I went in to the dealership for my fourth attempt to solve this issue. As previously noted, the dealer I have been working with has been supportive. On this trip both the tech and service manager validated my complaint and agreed there is an abnormal vibration felt through the accelerator. Unfortunately, they said there’s nothing they can do, per Honda repair standards, if they cannot clearly identify the issue. They said they just can’t go searching for randomly for the source- which to me is a bit of a disappointment. How else could the problem be found.

It’s been three weeks of constant vibration and then today without any discernible change in driving input or outside variables, the buzzing subsides.

I’m at a loss. I’ve tried a VCM muzzler, tire pressure, different fuel octanes, cold start, warm start, looked into appropriate tsb... all without success.

The intermittent nature of the issue has me wondering what could be working and then not.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T
17 Posts
Well my gas pedal is still doing with buzzing/vibration /humming thing unlike my Girl friends 16 ford focus Se, my 06 S2K, my parents 12 malibu and 18 silverado, my sisters 14 mazda CX-5 and her husband's work truck silverado. Since the gas pedal is only 3 bolts and a plug, I took it off and made 3 different types of rubber gaskets/washers out of silicone mats and a softer mouse pad. Noting has worked and due to the length of the studs that the pedal bolts down to, you cant make the gaskets very thick. And just to clarify... The vibration only comes from certain road conditions (most roads). Unless the road is freshly paved and brand new, the gas pedal will pick up the road texture and transmit it through the gas pedal at any speed above 30 mph. I'm at a loss as well, I've tried everything and it's the most annoying thing to deal with.
Hello all, keeping the thread and hope for resolution alive.

I went in to the dealership for my fourth attempt to solve this issue. As previously noted, the dealer I have been working with has been supportive. On this trip both the tech and service manager validated my complaint and agreed there is an abnormal vibration felt through the accelerator. Unfortunately, they said there’s nothing they can do, per Honda repair standards, if they cannot clearly identify the issue. They said they just can’t go searching for randomly for the source- which to me is a bit of a disappointment. How else could the problem be found.

It’s been three weeks of constant vibration and then today without any discernible change in driving input or outside variables, the buzzing subsides.

I’m at a loss. I’ve tried a VCM muzzler, tire pressure, different fuel octanes, cold start, warm start, looked into appropriate tsb... all without success.

The intermittent nature of the issue has me wondering what could be working and then not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well my gas pedal is still doing with buzzing/vibration /humming thing unlike my Girl friends 16 ford focus Se, my 06 S2K, my parents 12 malibu and 18 silverado, my sisters 14 mazda CX-5 and her husband's work truck silverado. Since the gas pedal is only 3 bolts and a plug, I took it off and made 3 different types of rubber gaskets/washers out of silicone mats and a softer mouse pad. Noting has worked and due to the length of the studs that the pedal bolts down to, you cant make the gaskets very thick. And just to clarify... The vibration only comes from certain road conditions (most roads). Unless the road is freshly paved and brand new, the gas pedal will pick up the road texture and transmit it through the gas pedal at any speed above 30 mph. I'm at a loss as well, I've tried everything and it's the most annoying thing to deal with.
Garlander44, I too have tried adding washers to the post, and I agree they’re too short for anything substantial to dampen vibration. New smooth asphalt makes a difference in the ride but in my case I’m seeing something more than road vibration. My truck is just so inconsistent in how it seems to run; you never know which truck you’re stepping into: the smooth ride you’d expect or a 200k Honda with 2019 clothes on. And I’d agree it’s annoying, it has completely ruined this truck for me. I suppose I could take a bath on it but I figure I might as well get a full year out of it since the initial depreciation has already happened.

On a side note, I’ve also been dealing intermittently with strong exhaust fumes in the cabin at idle. With young kids in the back, it’s unacceptable. Shame.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh no I have not smelled any fumes in the cabin thank God. That's a ford explorer problem lol. That's sucks to hear. As for the vibration it's pretty much a matter of when I trade my truck in but I'm gonna try another set of wheels and tires and see if that helps. Just like you I've already spent a few grand trying to fix the NVH in this truck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh no I have not smelled any fumes in the cabin thank God. That's a ford explorer problem lol. That's sucks to hear. As for the vibration it's pretty much a matter of when I trade my truck in but I'm gonna try another set of wheels and tires and see if that helps. Just like you I've already spent a few grand trying to fix the NVH in this truck
Let me know how the tire swap goes. New rubber would certainly be cheaper than money lost on a trade.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let me know how the tire swap goes. New rubber would certainly be cheaper than money lost on a trade.
I will let you know and give you the verdict. But first I'm replacing the CV axles and shocks with brand new OEM ones i have on order, my steering wheel shimmys when I go certain speeds (between 50-60) and then the vibration transfers into the whole truck. I hate going above 75 in this thing it shakes way too much. Do you have any steering wheel shakes?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I will let you know and give you the verdict. But first I'm replacing the CV axles and shocks with brand new OEM ones i have on order, my steering wheel shimmys when I go certain speeds (between 50-60) and then the vibration transfers into the whole truck. I hate going above 75 in this thing it shakes way too much. Do you have any steering wheel shakes?
None as of yet.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
I also don’t have any vibrations. Is it possible that you may have damaged a wheel or tire at some point? The shimmy may be caused by a tire issue on the front. Try rotating the tires and see if you can tell if the problem moves to the rear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I also don’t have any vibrations. Is it possible that you may have damaged a wheel or tire at some point? The shimmy may be caused by a tire issue on the front. Try rotating the tires and see if you can tell if the problem moves to the rear.
Olgzr- I’ve had tires re-balanced and rotated without success. I’ve also had truck looked at 5 separate times from two different dealerships. Sadly, one says there’s nothing wrong, the other says there is something wrong but since everything is technically working and they can’t identify the issue, they’re unable to warranty/fix the problem. Two dead ends.

Last, the dealer also looked at my exhaust system as sometimes small leaks can cause a vibration issue. With fumes smelled in the cabin it seemed like a plausible culprit. Nope. They say exhaust system is fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah I've tried 2 different brands of tires(yokohama and continental) and another set of aftermarket rims and I've been to les schwab and regal tire and Honda and they all can identify some sort of vibration but they say it's seems to check out or that's just the characteristics of the truck. And I don't know how many times I've tried rotating and swapping out wheels and trying different tire pressures and lug nuts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yeah I've tried 2 different brands of tires(yokohama and continental) and another set of aftermarket rims and I've been to les schwab and regal tire and Honda and they all can identify some sort of vibration but they say it's seems to check out or that's just the characteristics of the truck. And I don't know how many times I've tried rotating and swapping out wheels and trying different tire pressures and lug nuts
Garlander44- what was the result of the CV axle swap?

I’ve identified a pattern with my vibration; although it seems like the frequency is totally random and can last days to weeks and then stop for as long, I’ve noticed that when the vibration is present, it always presents with heavy gas pedal vibration at the point of an up shift.

On days the vibration is absent it shifts like a dream up and down. No vibration at any time. The intermittent nature of the problem is what still has me convinced something is wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Garlander44- what was the result of the CV axle swap?

I’ve identified a pattern with my vibration; although it seems like the frequency is totally random and can last days to weeks and then stop for as long, I’ve noticed that when the vibration is present, it always presents with heavy gas pedal vibration at the point of an up shift.

On days the vibration is absent it shifts like a dream up and down. No vibration at any time. The intermittent nature of the problem is what still has me convinced something is wrong.
The new axles didn't do anything unfortunately, waste of money. Didn't make anything better or anything worse. I think we might have different vibrations. I'm convinced my steering wheel vibration is from the different aftermarket tires I have, and the foot pedal vibration is just a flaw in the trucks design. But I hear ya.. Some days it feels like the truck rides better then other days. It's a weird thing.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline Touring
2 Posts
Honda Ridgeline Touring 2020: vibration in the gas pedal too. It is a high frequency. Nothing like a tire balancing issue that is obvious and changing frequency as speed increase. Definitely road vibrations finding its way to the gas pedal. I write to Honda Canada...they answer saying go see your dealer.
My friend had a Ridgeline Sport 2019...same issue. I guess everybody has this issue, but not everyone is picky. Driving with running shoe is bad. Driving with winter booth is ok.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts