Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

G2 aem air intake

81K views 227 replies 50 participants last post by  brickfollett 
#1 ·
#50 ·

I'm not sure how a mechanic would know unless they dyno'ed for power loss? I'm sure it depends on the particular application. For what it is worth, Wikipedia says modern AC automotive systems use about 4hp.

When you are cruising on the highway (In a Ridgeline for instance) at 2K rpm or less your engine is only making a small portion of its total rated HP, well less than 100hp. A 5% drop in power is noticeable.

#53 ·
I agree, the air won't be colder. It might actually be warmer than stock. I feel like the aem intake is just eliminating the factory components that keep the stock intake quiet, which will increase noise and airflow. That's a very restrictive factory intake, If you believe the aem dyno results.

#58 ·
So JEGS just sent me an email saying they cancelled my order because the intake can't be shipped to CA. Balls.

#63 ·
Installed mine this morning, took it for a 15 min joy ride, first thought: WOW THAT SOUNDS AGGRESSIVE! I was blown away, I'm still smiling.

It has an obvious deeper grumble to it when accelerating than stock and when flooring it the VTEC on the top end suddenly gets VERY loud and sounds formidable to a NASCAR race, but only when flooring it :D

After i got by from my ride i quickly popped the hood and jumped out to feel if there was a difference in air between the closed off compartment where the intake is compared to the engine area and it was a VERY big difference, the air around the intake was cooler and close to outside temperature and then i put my hand on the other side of the heat shield it was MUCH warmer and i could feel heat radiating off from the engine but it wasn't getting near the intake so im very happy about that seeing as this was the whole point.

I didn't know this but there is an air scoop built into the front of the engine compartment and it funnels air into the stock system from the grill, the instructions said to put it back in after the install and the funnel end rests right up against the intake filter, perfect fit funneling cold air directly from the outside right into the AEM filter!

I couldn't be happier with this Cold Air Intake, it does its job better than I expected and makes the engine sound great. Makes driving that much more fun when you can hear the power from the engine.

Its a little louder but mostly a deeper loud grumble when accelerating normally from a stop sight to like 35 mph.

Its around 3x as loud as stock if you floor it and hit all the high ends VTEC sounds nuts haha

When just driving regularly at the speed limit its similar noise as stock nice and quiet, which is what i love about it. I thought there might be some noticeable whistle or intake noise but didn't notice any :)

10/10 Would buy again.

#64 · (Edited)
It's installed. Not difficult. Instructions are accurate. Did not trigger any alerts on the dash. Very noticeable sound difference. Quiet at low rpm. Big difference when you get on the gas. It feels stronger but that could be my imagination. Tried it in regular drive and it is nice. D4 lets it go to redline and is loud in a good way. Definitely worth the money just for the sound. The difference is much more than my prelude. I'm thoroughly impressed and happy with the money spent. The factory cold air portion should have been replaced by AEM, it doesn't look good. Hopefully an exhaust comes out soon. I have videos I'll edit down and post asap.

#69 ·
Okay. No problem.

Yes I am. Can't wait to take it on it's real test. 12 hours of driving. Taking it through the mountains. Going to be a fun time.

On the way back I am thinking about stopping in centralia pa. That is the town that has been on fire for 50 years. Hopefully it won't eat up my truck. Lol.

#72 ·
Looks like you took off the rubber end on the scoop funnel, i left mine on and it pushes up against the filter, not sure if i should take it off or not i thought maybe it will force the air right into the filter better vs. letting the air escape out and go around the filter.

Its hard to tell from pics but the kit does a good job of sealing off the area to mostly let air from the outside in through the scoop

After day 2, i am noticing some high pitch whistle every now and then at lower speeds while coasting but its not that loud and i dont notice it when i have music on

#75 ·
Plex, good call, I put it back on.

Unicorn, unfortunately my video is just of the sound, not installation. The instructions are pretty good. I removed the positive battery terminal cover for the heat shield fitment. That could have been my fault due to impatience. Let me know if you have any questions. I hope you like it as much as I do.

#76 ·
Question. My other car is a heavily modified BMW, and I never took it into the dealership throughout the warranty period as I didn't want them to say that because I lowered the car, my fuel pump went bad (but this unfortunately is what the stealerships try to do), sooo I'm wondering if anyone could anticipate how lenient the dealerships would be to a mod like this on a leased car. Any ideas?

#78 ·
Yeah I figured I would get that kind of a response, but I'm trying to find out what the lease says.

Based on my previous vehicles, as long as you return the vehicle back to stock at the end of the term, you'll be fine. Of course that's based on the assumption that it's only subtle mods - nothing irreversible or major like a turbo/supercharge/etc.

#80 ·
I'm a hypocrite, i wanted audio/video and now after i installed mine i didnt record it either, haha..

on the drive home from work I will try and remember to take a recording and upload it when i get home.

#85 · (Edited)
It's here already ??..That was lightning quick !! and No custom duty fee from UPS either !! >:):grin: ( @T i h o r )

~~~~~

@Guido156 , @plex ....

The instruction listed the needed tool...about the socket extension...how long of a length are we looking at here ?

Thanks guys...I won't have time to get on it til the long weekend ! :laugh: >:)

Attachments

#89 · (Edited)
Hi guys, first post. I can second that the AEM intake is worth the money. I came from a Ford Sport Trac with V8, K&N intake and Magnaflow exhaust. It rumbled when you started it. When I first drove the Ridgeline off the lot, I was so sad. The truck literally made no noise.

That didn't last long. The day after I took delivery, I went to my local muffler shop who cut off both mufflers (I guess one is technically a resonator) and welded a Magnaflow muffler in place (guessing about a 20 lb. weight savings). It sounded better but once I installed the intake, it really sounded good (especially once the VTEC kicks in like the one poster said). It's not quite like driving a V8 but now I grin when I hit the gas. This thing definitely makes some noise but is still as quiet as stock when cruising on the freeway (except when I kick it down to pass which is frequently
:smile:

Attachments

Reactions: plex