Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

G2 aem air intake

81K views 227 replies 50 participants last post by  brickfollett 
#1 ·
#134 · (Edited)
So my intake finally arrived! Putting it in now.

#136 ·
Sorry to bump this post, but can someone describe how the sound is after the VTEC crossover? With the intake on mine, it is rattle-y and mechanical, but not in a good way. It doesn't sound like it should unless I am missing something. I had a Takeda intake on my 2013 Accord V6 and it didn't sound like this.

Everything seems tightened down correctly.

#144 ·
Sorry to bump this post, but can someone describe how the sound is after the VTEC crossover? With the intake on mine, it is rattle-y and mechanical, but not in a good way. It doesn't sound like it should unless I am missing something. I had a Takeda intake on my 2013 Accord V6 and it didn't sound like this.

Everything seems tightened down correctly.
Yea not that it sounds bad but the VTEC crossover is a bit on the mechanical sounding side for sure, the rest of the spectrum sounds great i think... i dont hit VTEC too often, but when i do i can hear it turn for sure :D
Yeah... Now that I think about it... The "gurgling/grumbling "lower" growling is better between the "2" tones sound ( before VTEC & after VTEC )..,STILL ...better than OEM though :grin:

#137 ·
Yea not that it sounds bad but the VTEC crossover is a bit on the mechanical sounding side for sure, the rest of the spectrum sounds great i think... i dont hit VTEC too often, but when i do i can hear it turn for sure :D

#140 ·
can you give details? do you feel yours will be more optimal, less whistle? can you give any info on how it might be different? do you feel the current AEM intake isnt the best solution?

#142 ·
It would depend on the advantages you come up with. Different shape for better flow as an example. If it's the same basic product with just a shinier material probably not. I'd wonder about heat soak with metal. The heavier weight wouldn't be a deal breaker as it should be so small as to be irrelevant.

#143 · (Edited)
The other intake is EXPENSIVE - not me saying this, people who have called and emailed. WE also sell it, and people have asked if there is another option. I can do a little better than what most are selling for... but, THE QUESTION IS, do you guys wants a less expensive intake that meets or exceeds what's out there? Maybe I should make a NEW post on this topic to get a real head count. This is costly to do and we'd need to sell quite a few to make it worth it.

Again, if you can't wait, I can sell you the AEM now. When I have more than 5-10 customers asking me for a product, then I start to listen.

#147 · (Edited)
Well that's not much help. LOL. Just joking. It's all good. I didn't mean we'd need to take orders beforehand or charge anyone like some have done before the item is avail. I can't say who we made intakes for in the past, but it's a very well known name. Only good things to come. If you want an AEM, let me know... Then after we get this done, I'll send you one and you can report back and buy back the AEM from you. Again, this is in the initial stages, but if I keep getting emails, I'll do it.

ALSO, working right now with Gibson getting a catback designed for this truck.

#150 ·
I'm happy with mine ! :grin:

Combined this with the Muzzler and NON-Ethanol fuel.... my truck "feels" firmly planted in a sleeping/rumbling kinda way....I can feel it in the pedal and seat of the pants the way it moves compared to prior (OEM/stock)..( best I can described with words..hahaha ! >:) )

Left it in when I had the procedure A done...not even a concerned with my dealer. :wink:

#152 ·
I had issues initially with idling, but after taking the intake completely out, cleaning out everything and the air sensor with compressed air now it runs great.. must have had some metallic dust getting into the air sensor.

I recommend cleaning the intake VERY well before installation to be sure all metallic dust is removed prior to running it.

Reactions: lslick23
#158 ·
If there's such a procedure for the G2, it's likely spelled out in the PDI sheet. Anyone have a copy of the G2 RL PDI sheet?

For the G1, it's not found in the OM, but is in the FSM and various tech bulletins.

Reactions: plex
#161 ·
There was a PDI worksheet for the 2016 Pilot circulated last summer on ROC. I don't know if that's good enough but that's the closest we've come that I know of. If it is worthwhile I can try to dig it up. I save everything.

#163 ·
I do the reset any time I make modifications or replace ignition parts. Takes me 10 minutes and the results are instantaneous after the process is complete.

I've seen people complain about lurching engines at stop lights and erratic idle situations..... yeah that's what happens when you don't calibrate electronic sensors with their controllers. Sure it may eventually sort its self out... but why waste 1-2 days a week or maybe even a month or driveablity issues or poor MPG. When you can do the procedure in 20-30 minutes, an hour tops?

Too each his own!

#165 ·
My low idling/hesitation issue has returned, i did the same thing that fixed it last time and pulled out the mass air flow sensor, cleaned it and put it back in... Fixed it for a couple days and its back again. Went and bought some of that spray made for cleaning them, it seems to have gotten better after that but still notice its not exactly right. Im thinking the sensor is just bad or damaged somehow, will order a replacement.

Anyone else having similar issues?

#168 ·
Re: AEM Intake...what's the consensus ????

Is it a " must have mod " or is the jury not yet out on it ??? are there any issues such as irregular idle ???? please advise :surprise:
After 9 months and 5500 miles, I'd say it's good to go. No issues whatsoever. Also been running one of their systems on my M5 since '09 with no issues.

#173 ·
Thanks. I'm chasing the hesitation-on-initial-acceleration problem, which has gotten worse. It's probably not the mass air flow sensor. I cleaned the original part with MAFS spray to no effect. Thanks too, the link to the troubleshooting page on the RockAuto page you posted gave me a few other things to check. But for $75, I still may try this MAFS sensor. I've found them for as low as $45, but I always prefer to get a recommendation.

Wish I could partake in the G2 aem air intake; unfortunately I live in a state that adopted the CA law prohibiting the use of such aftermarket equipment.

Reactions: MechE and Carsmak
#174 ·
Re: AEM Intake...what's the consensus ????

I've had mine for a few months/2k miles now and I'm satisfied. I ended up buying when Autoanything.com was doing a sale and AEM was doing a rebate so I figured why not.

Definitely gives the engine a more aggressive sound but I haven't notice a significant increase in performance or mileage. I have noticed it's a bit noisy, not the acceleration growl but more so the sucking sounds from the open filter design (you'll recognize the sound if you've used them on other vehicles).