Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had lots of issues with the Apple Carplay. I have had the following issues:
- Wont detect phone about a third of the time when phone gets plugged in. This happens especially if I unplug it to search for a podcast I want to listen to and then plug the phone back in
- Will not remember last played location of a podcast, starts over from beginning
- Cant use Honda screen to slide scroll bar to fast-forward an audiobook or podcast.

This has been quite annoying, especially since we do a lot of long drives and, as you can tell, listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks along the way.

I'm just curious if that is just the nature of the beast or if my system isn't working correctly. I have an iPhone 7 plus if that makes a difference. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an iphone 7 plus & latest iOS and Carplay for me only works (and has only worked) upon start of vehicle if the phone is plugged in beforehand (before boot of vehicle system). For me it has never synced when I have tried to plug the phone in after boot/startup of vehicle.

It's annoying but I assumed that is only how it works. If you can get Carplay to activate from plugging it in after the vehicle has completed booting up, that's more than I can do.

Only advice plug the phone in before starting vehicle and don't unplug it.

Can't comment on podcast as I don't use that app...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use Android Auto and hearing your comments that echo mine make me think it's more of the vehicle than the devices, although it could certainly be the device.

I have periods of "everything works normally" followed by periods of "nothing works". I'm not sure how often Apple updates their apps but Google is always updating something.

Android Auto uses bluetooth and a cable and if I were to speculate - I'd take a stab that there is a bluetooth issue on the Ridgeline that needs updating. But I'm Kermit the Frog - that's none of my business :p

·
Registered
126 Posts
When I first started using Android Auto, I seemed to connect about half the time. For the other half, the Infotainment screen would say 'No Device Detected'.

A few months ago, I replaced the cable. Got a short (18inch) heavier gauge one. Now it connects nearly 100% of the time.

·
Registered
487 Posts
When I first started using Android Auto, I seemed to connect about half the time. For the other half, the Infotainment screen would say 'No Device Detected'.

A few months ago, I replaced the cable. Got a short (18inch) heavier gauge one. Now it connects nearly 100% of the time.
I read similar variable function/malfunction occurs with iPhone if an aftermarket cable is used to connect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question, why do you unplug to find another podcast?

Which iPhone and iOS version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to unplug because you cant really search for a podcast through the Honda system. Its and iPhone 7 Plus on version 10.0.3. Also, am I supposed to be able to move the scroll bar by sliding my finger to be able to fast forward? Its pretty annoying if the only way to fast forward is to hit the 15 second skip button a hundred times.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an iphone 7 plus & latest iOS and Carplay for me only works (and has only worked) upon start of vehicle if the phone is plugged in beforehand (before boot of vehicle system). For me it has never synced when I have tried to plug the phone in after boot/startup of vehicle.

It's annoying but I assumed that is only how it works. If you can get Carplay to activate from plugging it in after the vehicle has completed booting up, that's more than I can do.
Same here on phone, iOS and Carplay, and it's ridiculously annoying. But better than using my old school iPod, which freezes after one or two songs every time.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here on phone, iOS and Carplay, and it's ridiculously annoying. But better than using my old school iPod, which freezes after one or two songs every time.......
I have a RL Black and had the same issue until I switched out the after market cable for the original apple lightning cable after which it connects fine every time. Mine also connects fine *after* I start the car so puzzled why it's different. Now waiting for wireless carplay which was rumored to be in development by Apple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually, I think it’s Honda we are waiting on for wireless CarPlay.

“Since iOS 9, Apple has supported wireless CarPlay implementations. Nearly all CarPlay setups require an iPhone to be plugged in directly to the in-dash system to connect, but wireless CarPlay alleviates the need for a Lightning cable, allowing an iPhone to connect to an in-car system wirelessly.

BMW is the first car manufacturer to implement wireless CarPlay support, and Volkswagen is also working on wireless CarPlay solutions.

In June of 2017, Alpine launched the first wireless aftermarket CarPlay system, the iLX-007, which is priced at $900. It doesn't require an iPhone to be plugged in to a Lightning cable in the car, instead using WiFi. Harman has also said that wireless CarPlay support may eventually come to many of the car manufacturers it works with, like Audi, VW, Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep.”

- https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/carplay/

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
I was told (by my salesperson) that the cable must be an OEM cable (for the phone) in order to work properly for Android AND Apple. If you are using a replacement cable and it is not made by the phone manufacturer, then I would start there. Since I got my Genuine Samsung cable for me note 3 I have had no problems. Prior to that I also had spotty connections.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Grew up with rotary phone so please excuse possibly stupid question. I have an iPhone 6 and use CarPlay often in my RL. Am intending to trade in on iPhone 8 (my ApplePay ceased to function 2 weeks after warranty expired and tech at Apple Store after 2 hours of trying to fix it said "Never seen or heard of this happening. I can't fix it, but for $180 we'll send it in for repair). Does the iPhone 8 have a cable which can attach iPhone 8 to the infotainment system?

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Grew up with rotary phone so please excuse possibly stupid question. I have an iPhone 6 and use CarPlay often in my RL. Am intending to trade in on iPhone 8 (my ApplePay ceased to function 2 weeks after warranty expired and tech at Apple Store after 2 hours of trying to fix it said "Never seen or heard of this happening. I can't fix it, but for $180 we'll send it in for repair). Does the iPhone 8 have a cable which can attach iPhone 8 to the infotainment system?
I believe the iPhone 8 uses the same Lightning cable as the iPhone 6 (although at one point I heard that it was going to use USB C.) <-- Either way it will connect to the infotainment system.

·
Administrator
22,423 Posts
I believe the iPhone 8 uses the same Lightning cable as the iPhone 6 (although at one point I heard that it was going to use USB C.) <-- Either way it will connect to the infotainment system.
Correct. Every iPhone model since the iPhone 5 from 2012 up to the forthcoming iPhone X uses a Lightning connector. The 5, 5C, and 5S must be upgraded to iOS 7.1 or newer to support CarPlay.

Be sure to use a genuine Apple Lightning to USB cable part number MD818AM/A (3 ft.) or MD818AM/A (6 ft.). As previously mentioned, non-Apple branded cables sometimes cause problems.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I too have realized I must plug the iPhone 7 into the cable to the USB port before I start the truck. I also have been turning on what playlist or artist I want to listen to before I start up. If I do not, I get my entire collection.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It’s already been said but, use a real cord. I have two white lightning cords In the truck and couldn’t get it to work to save my life, switched cords perfect. Use a real cord!!!! The other was from an older iPhone

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.