Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Does your G2 Tailgate Top feel loose when lifting and or lowering.

• YES

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • NO

Votes: 17 94.4%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In lifting my tailgate I have noticed that the tailgate top (Black Flaired plastic top edge) is getting progressively loose.

Are others out there with G2's noticing this problem or something similar to this with your trucks? I haven't had a chance to check on other trucks I see because they are parked and unattended so I don't think any owner would appreciate me wiggling their tailgate top garnish to make a comparison.

It just seems whimpy and doesn't provide a "truck like" feel to me. I would like it quite a bit more BEEFY feeling myself.

I would appreciate others opinions and experiences before I look to a warranty claim or consider purchasing a new Garnish Assembly, Tailgate Top for a list price of $187.83 from my local dealer. (in doing an internet search) I can find it for about $125.10 (cheapest price I have found) at Honda Factory Parts.com but the shipping brings it back to almost the full list price.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah, the first vote is mine!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Take it off and inspect the clips before you spend a penny. You can remove, inspect, and replace any white clips for a fraction of replacement cost.

Use the tailgate lock videos for a guide on how to remove and replace. I've had mine off 3 times and it's not flimsy at all.

Mike

·
Registered
700 Posts
Plastic tabs most likely were never secured properly. Push the cover off. Then re-seat plastic tabs into the lip and then re-install.

Had that issue after stealership worked on my swing door when I broke the purple clip for the first time. They didn’t install it correctly.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve taken it off to install an electric lock & safety release cable, the white clips are inserted into tailgate and the garnish fits into the square holes. When you slide the cap sideways that’s what secures it to the tailgate.

It still feels flimsy to me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I’ve taken it off to install an electric lock & safety release cable, the white clips are inserted into tailgate and the garnish fits into the square holes. When you slide the cap sideways that’s what secures it to the tailgate.

It still feels flimsy to me.
Don't slide the cap on to reinstall, many of the white clips probably won't clip in. You need to put the white tabs on the garnish and then smack the cover onto the tailgate. You only slide for removal.

If that's how you reinstalled, that's likely why it's flimsy.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
Don't slide the cap on to reinstall, many of the white clips probably won't clip in. You need to put the white tabs on the garnish and then smack the cover onto the tailgate. You only slide for removal.

If that's how you reinstalled, that's likely why it's flimsy.

Mike
Great response. You beat me to it.

Reactions: Jorg

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yeah. Installer error.

Remove white clips from tailgate. If you twist them half way as you are pulling them out, they come out super easy out of the tailgate. Install those white tabs into the square section of the lip. Once all are in the lip. Line up the 3 Phillips screw holes and push in and they all should just snap in.

You can look at the Honda instructions on the tailgate lock replacement if you need visuals.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I’ll do a re-do the next chance I get.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In lifting my tailgate I have noticed that the tailgate top (Black Flaired plastic top edge) is getting progressively loose.

Are others out there with G2's noticing this problem or something similar to this with your trucks? I haven't had a chance to check on other trucks I see because they are parked and unattended so I don't think any owner would appreciate me wiggling their tailgate top garnish to make a comparison.

It just seems whimpy and doesn't provide a "truck like" feel to me. I would like it quite a bit more BEEFY feeling myself.

I would appreciate others opinions and experiences before I look to a warranty claim or consider purchasing a new Garnish Assembly, Tailgate Top for a list price of $187.83 from my local dealer. (in doing an internet search) I can find it for about $125.10 (cheapest price I have found) at Honda Factory Parts.com but the shipping brings it back to almost the full list price.
The top of the tailgates is plastic and attached with about 20 plastic tabs which break easily. Terrible and cheap design by Honda. Just another way they saved a few bucks figuring no one would notice

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is why I love ROC!

thanks guys on the installation error answers. I took it apart this morning & reinstalled as suggested. THEN I CHANGED MY POLL VOTE!

Tips easily worth the $180 retail dealer price for a new garnish!

You guys are great, thanks!

Reactions: DBLXX and Sparkland
1 - 11 of 11 Posts