Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to see my dealer the other day and, while talking with the salesman, he gets out a sheet on pricing. It lists all the models and, among the other colums, are Markup and Price. He didn't actively share the sheet with me but he didn't work hard to hide the numbers from me, either. He even stepped away for just a moment with it on his desk (I was sitting across from him).

Now, I know dealerships have all kinds of ways of playing with prices. So by no means do I take any of it as dead facts. But I did get rough, rounded estimates of the Markup lodged in my wee brain on models I am interested in and thought I'd share it here. I hope that's OK. We were only talking about the AWD models, btw.

Sport - $35,715/$3,000
RTL - $36,480/$3,200
RTL-T - $38,630/$3,500
RTL-E - $42,270/$3,600
Black - $43,770/$3,700

Most of the markup values were very near the $50 point so my rounding up and down's not gonna be very consistent or helpful if you want the finest detail.

I'm curious if these are prices others are seeing. I'm also curious what other charges (destination, etc.) dealers are charging across the nation. I'd like to know what to expect.

Hope this helps someone somewhere. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Post of the year. You got the ranges alright. Similar enough to the Pilot numbers (the spread) I looked up previously. Thank you sir, appreciate it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was trying to find out: if the MSRP was the same nationwide.

I want to emphasize that 3042 may have been rounded up to 3100 or down to 3000. I was working with limited time and, as I always am, my limited memory. Glad it may have helped!

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Correct. That's the invoice price. Just subtract.
Dealer cost isn't actually the invoice price. Invoice pricing for most vehicles is searchable on the web, but it doesn't take into account dealer holdback, dealer cash incentives, or bonuses resulting from sales volume. I have heard that salesman have even shown invoices to customers as a sales negotiation tactic to claim that they are making a low profit, but I have not experienced that first hand.

Unfortunately, there is no real way for the average consumer to find out what the actual cost to the dealer is without inside information such as what we got from Kazz. And sadly, those numbers will be unique to his dealership and may not accurately reflect the profit margins of different dealers across the nation.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
The way I read those numbers is the list price is on the left. Subtract the markup (on the right) to get invoice. I suspect destination is already on the left side numbers.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Those numbers are MSRP, so we still need to add the 900 destination fee.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The opening post in this thread lists the prices below. MSRP was announced several months ago for all models. You can find it here for example:

2017 Honda Ridgeline Starts at $30,475

On Honda's site they state, for example, that the RTL-E is $41,370 with an asterisk stating that the destination charge is $900 on top of that. So 42,270 for an RTL-E.

2017 Honda Ridgeline: Specs, Interior Photos, Features, Updates

Apparently the destination charge is included in all the numbers on the left below.

As someone else has noted above, there are many other ways dealers are compensated that are very difficult to find out, including special payments from the manufacturer. Consumer Reports has a great overview here:

How to Negotiate a New Car's Price - Consumer Reports

As I have noted in a post in another thread, I was offered an RTL-E from one dealer with the MSRP, destination charge, and a $2,600 add-on package of various stuff I don't want (including nitrogen in the tires). It's all a pricing game in a supply and demand market where retail price is only a starting point for negotiations.

Sport - $35,715/$3,000
RTL - $36,480/$3,200
RTL-T - $38,630/$3,500
RTL-E - $42,270/$3,600
Black - $43,770/$3,700

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Dealer cost isn't actually the invoice price. Invoice pricing for most vehicles is searchable on the web, but it doesn't take into account dealer holdback, dealer cash incentives, or bonuses resulting from sales volume. I have heard that salesman have even shown invoices to customers as a sales negotiation tactic to claim that they are making a low profit, but I have not experienced that first hand.

Unfortunately, there is no real way for the average consumer to find out what the actual cost to the dealer is without inside information such as what we got from Kazz. And sadly, those numbers will be unique to his dealership and may not accurately reflect the profit margins of different dealers across the nation.

Yeah most people know this already guy. The price he wrote down and what I referred to above, is called the invoice price. That's what I and most people who have done this many times over refer to it as. Holdback and dealer incentives to move volume are not included and never are. The only difference in the continental US from what he posted will be that little advertising fee they try to do when a group of dealers pitch in for advertising and they try to get you to pay it.

My goal is always to shoot for invoice and get as close to it as I can. They can keep the holdback money. It's not easily acquired anyhow. Only when the model is stagnant can you get at that anyhow or you really know someone well. I refer that to under invoice and the only time I have gotten it is when their is a national incentive from the mfr. Hence why most of us just want the invoice price so we can work from it during negotiation. I've already seen guys on here getting RL's (signed paperwork) for $1100 over invoice. I'll bide my time until I can get +$500 or less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts