Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering G2 owners with models that have remote start how it working.
It's hot now in many parts of country so are you remote starting sometime before entering vehicle to cool it down. It's very hot humid in Washington, DC
this week. Weather woman just said feels like Florida here with tomorrow near 100 feeling like 104. So just wondering has anybody been using this feature much. This is a feature I would sure use on days like this and in winter if vehicle is park outside.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is my first vehicle with remote start. I use it almost every day and will fire it up about 5 minutes before i walk out the door. It's a lifesaver as far as reducing the interior temps, esp in texas where's it's been over 100 degrees for 3 weeks now.

Reactions: jstanfi1

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes. In Atlanta. Use it often. Very nice feature. Hard to train myself to remember to do it though. Took me a while to stop pulling my key fob out of my pocket to unlock my door.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yep. First had it about 3 cars ago and won't have a vehicle without it again. I use it a lot more in the summer than winter. I can handle cold but hate being hot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is my first vehicle with remote start. I use it almost every day and will fire it up about 5 minutes before i walk out the door. It's a lifesaver as far as reducing the interior temps, esp in texas where's it's been over 100 degrees for 3 weeks now.
Same for me, but haven't gotten into the habit of using it yet (I'm sure I will). I know I will use it religiously in the winter as I drive to work between 6:30AM and 7:00AM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been using mine to keep my dog cool while I run in quick. However, I cannot get it to run beyond 10 mins like it is supposed to. Any help? G2 BE

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,892 Posts
I've had remote start added to my last four vehicles. I use it all the time, especially in the winter time but also on hot days in the summer.

This remote starter is kind of lame in several ways. Here are some of my criticisms:

1. The need to lock first is kind of unusual. My truck door is already locked because I use auto locking. It's to keep you from accidentally pressing the hold button in your pocket or something.

2. The distance that this signal will go is a bit lacking compared to other remotes that I've had.

3. The instructions in two different places in the manual are a little vague on how long you have to depress the hold button. It would seem to be five seconds. Is there a chance that if you hold it too long you'll shut it off. I don't know, the manual doesn't say. We could use better instructions on this function.

4. Perhaps my biggest pet peeve is that from a distance it's hard to tell whether the truck starts up or not. My last remote start system turned on the parking lights as soon as the car started. Yes, that's an advertisement that there's a running vehicle and here it is. But since the car is locked first and second if anybody touches anything the engine will go off and there's no key there, it's an over-the-top safety feature. If you really are still stuck on that point you could make the parking lights flash 3 times to show that the car started. The system needs notification. Maybe it's possible to set that up? Who knows, there's no information in the manual about it.

5. A 10-minute run period isn't enough time. I know you're supposed to be able to extend it another 10 minutes by holding the hold button down for another five seconds or so before the first 10 minutes expires, but man, that is some pretty bad user interface. There should be on option to make it 15 minutes. I've had remote starts whose run times lasted 20 minutes.

6. And shocker, my biggest criticism is that there's no information about customizing this useful tool so that it works the way you need it to. No specifications on how long a distance it can go. It barely tells you how to start the engine and that's it.

It's typical of Honda's manual throughout. It gives you basic information about changing your wiper blades but doesn't tell you what size your wiper blades are. That's easy enough to measure, but you get the general idea.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
I've had remote start added to my last four vehicles. I use it all the time, especially in the winter time but also on hot days in the summer.

This remote starter is kind of lame in several ways. Here are some of my criticisms:

1. The need to lock first is kind of unusual. My truck door is already locked because I use auto locking. It's to keep you from accidentally pressing the hold button in your pocket or something.

2. The distance that this signal will go is a bit lacking compared to other remotes that I've had.

3. The instructions in two different places in the manual are a little vague on how long you have to depress the hold button. It would seem to be five seconds. Is there a chance that if you hold it too long you'll shut it off. I don't know, the manual doesn't say. We could use better instructions on this function.

4. Perhaps my biggest pet peeve is that from a distance it's hard to tell whether the truck starts up or not. My last remote start system turned on the parking lights as soon as the car started. Yes, that's an advertisement that there's a running vehicle and here it is. But since the car is locked first and second if anybody touches anything the engine will go off and there's no key there, it's an over-the-top safety feature. If you really are still stuck on that point you could make the parking lights flash 3 times to show that the car started. The system needs notification. Maybe it's possible to set that up? Who knows, there's no information in the manual about it.

5. A 10-minute run period isn't enough time. I know you're supposed to be able to extend it another 10 minutes by holding the hold button down for another five seconds or so before the first 10 minutes expires, but man, that is some pretty bad user interface. There should be on option to make it 15 minutes. I've had remote starts whose run times lasted 20 minutes.

6. And shocker, my biggest criticism is that there's no information about customizing this useful tool so that it works the way you need it to. No specifications on how long a distance it can go. It barely tells you how to start the engine and that's it.

It's typical of Honda's manual throughout. It gives you basic information about changing your wiper blades but doesn't tell you what size your wiper blades are. That's easy enough to measure, but you get the general idea.
My parents have been enjoying remote start on their GM vehicles for over a decade. They rarely use it, though. I've never had it, but kinda wanted it. Now that I have it, I've only used it to see if it works. I don't mind getting in a hot vehicle in the Summer, but I HATE getting into a cold vehicle in the Winter. At home, my vehicle sits in a climate-controlled garage, so the only time I might use remote start is when leaving work on the coldest, cloudiest days of Winter (of which there are few here in Texas). If idling didn't waste so much fuel, I'd use remote start more often.

According to the owner's manual, "some lights" [the hazard lights] flash 6 times when the engine starts successfully. If the lights don't flash 6 times, then it didn't start.

The 10/20-minute limitation is likely to prevent:
- Excessive engine wear due to extended idling.
- Deadly accumulation of carbon monoxide in an enclosed garage.

More information on the remote start system can be found in the press kit.

Remote Engine Start
Ridgeline RT-S and higher trims feature standard remote engine start. This enables drivers to start their Ridgeline in advance of the drive, thereby activating the climate control system with a target temperature of 72 degrees before they get to the vehicle – perfect for hot or cold days. The system can provide owners with the comfort of a pre-warmed vehicle on a cold winter morning – or a pre-cooled interior on hot days. The system will automatically operate the heater, front and rear defrosters, front heated seats (if equipped), heated steering wheel (if equipped) and air conditioning, as needed.

The remote engine start feature is built into the key fobs supplied with the vehicle, and is designed to have a range of operation of approximately 180 feet. To start the engine remotely, the owner presses the LOCK button and then holds the ENGINE button for a second. The Ridgeline’s hazard lights will flash, indicating that the signal has been received. When the engine is started remotely, the wipers, lighting and audio systems remain off, and the security system remains set. The engine will run for up to 10 minutes after remote starting and can be extended by another 10 minutes using the same procedure, and then shut off automatically if the owner doesn’t reach the vehicle within that time. When the owner does get to the Ridgeline within 10 minutes, or extended period if the procedure is initiated a second time, the engine will keep running while the owner unlocks the vehicle, gets in, applies the brake and presses the Ridgeline’s START button, which turns on all of the vehicle’s systems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Try pushing the lock and than the start button on the key fob before the 10 minutes expires this resets the clock to 10 minutes

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
Try pushing the lock and than the start button on the key fob before the 10 minutes expires this resets the clock to 10 minutes
That's not correct. Doing this will add 10 minutes to the amount of time remaining in the first 10-minute period.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My parents have been enjoying remote start on their GM vehicles for over a decade. They rarely use it, though. I've never had it, but kinda wanted it. Now that I have it, I've only used it to see if it works. I don't mind getting in a hot vehicle in the Summer, but I HATE getting into a cold vehicle in the Winter. At home, my vehicle sits in a climate-controlled garage, so the only time I might use remote start is when leaving work on the coldest, cloudiest days of Winter (of which there are few here in Texas). If idling didn't waste so much fuel, I'd use remote start more often.

According to the owner's manual, the parking and tail lights flash 6 times when the engine starts successfully. If the lights don't flash 6 times, then it didn't start.

The 10/20-minute limitation is likely to prevent:
- Excessive engine wear due to extended idling.
- Deadly accumulation of carbon monoxide in an enclosed garage.

More information on the remote start system can be found in the press kit.

Remote Engine Start
Ridgeline RT-S and higher trims feature standard remote engine start. This enables drivers to start their Ridgeline in advance of the drive, thereby activating the climate control system with a target temperature of 72 degrees before they get to the vehicle – perfect for hot or cold days. The system can provide owners with the comfort of a pre-warmed vehicle on a cold winter morning – or a pre-cooled interior on hot days. The system will automatically operate the heater, front and rear defrosters, front heated seats (if equipped), heated steering wheel (if equipped) and air conditioning, as needed.

The remote engine start feature is built into the key fobs supplied with the vehicle, and is designed to have a range of operation of approximately 180 feet. To start the engine remotely, the owner presses the LOCK button and then holds the ENGINE button for a second. The Ridgeline’s hazard lights will flash, indicating that the signal has been received. When the engine is started remotely, the wipers, lighting and audio systems remain off, and the security system remains set. The engine will run for up to 10 minutes after remote starting and can be extended by another 10 minutes using the same procedure, and then shut off automatically if the owner doesn’t reach the vehicle within that time. When the owner does get to the Ridgeline within 10 minutes, or extended period if the procedure is initiated a second time, the engine will keep running while the owner unlocks the vehicle, gets in, applies the brake and presses the Ridgeline’s START button, which turns on all of the vehicle’s systems.
So remote start operates many of the vehicles comfort features like AC/Heat. But what about radio if turned on at time you turn off vehicle?

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
So remote start operates many of the vehicles comfort features like AC/Heat. But what about radio if turned on at time you turn off vehicle?
After you start the engine remotely and enter the vehicle, everything is "off" just as if it would be if the engine were not running. If it weren't for the sound of the engine running and conditioned air blowing from the vents, you wouldn't know anything was happening - the screen, climate control display, and instrument cluster are all "off". Once you get in following a remote start, you see the "PUSH BRAKE TO START" message on the MID. After you push the start button, everything comes on except the engine is already running.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,892 Posts
Remote Engine Start

Good info, zroger73. I appreciate your tracking it down. I just tested and the PR stuff is the more accurate of the two. And there's a problem in the way this operates that I'll explain in the second.

I tested the lights method that the PR department's document described, turning off the engine after about 30 seconds both times. Apparently it locks you out after that. I didn't try starting the engine by pressing the start button on the dashboard to see whether that might have reset the remote start limit of two starts. But nothing else I tried worked.

The manual apparently says that the parking lights will flash six times and the PR doc says that the hazard lights will flash. I got six flashes (two sets of three) alleging that the truck had received the command to start. Unfortunately, it was the hazard lights not the parking lights. For definition sake, I'm describing the hazard lights as the lights that come on when you press the hazard button and the parking lights as the first notch on the light stalk past Off.

Until now I thought there were no lights coming on at all. My problem has been that the hazard lights are not visible from the side of the vehicle. I stood 25 feet away from the side of the truck in daylight and could not see them flash. That's because they are in the very front and the very back of the car. Had Honda opted to use the parking lights, they would have been visible from any angle because the lights wrap around the four corners of the vehicle. Since the parking lot that I use at work stacks all the cars horizontally to the building, looking out from the fourth floor, I can't see them flash. And now that I know that there is a two-start limit, I realize that I have run into that issue before too.

I believe my last two remote starters were rated to 400 feet. I'll check on this point.

As many criticisms as we eliminated, we've added new ones. I'll forgo listing them out, but my opinion hasn't changed that this is an inflexible, overly safety conscious remote-start tool with an overall poor user experience. One of the chief positives is that it operates the climate system automatically. But job number one is ensuring that the car actually starts when you think you started it. If you can't be sure of that, it's not a very convenient tool.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
The manual apparently says that the parking lights will flash six times and the PR doc says that the hazard lights will flash. I got six flashes (two sets of three) alleging that the truck had received the command to start. Unfortunately, it was the hazard lights not the parking lights. For definition sake, I'm describing the hazard lights as the lights that come on when you press the hazard button and the parking lights as the first notch on the light stalk past Off.
I misquoted the manual earlier and have corrected my post. It actually says "some" exterior lights, but doesn't specify which ones. We now know it's the hazard lights. Thank you for pointing that out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts