Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
My truck came with a paper owners manual in the glove box.
The big thick set, or the smaller one that we all got with our RL's? The printed manual set from Honda is huge compared to what they give you with the truck...and is what is on the DVD they give you....

·
Registered
461 Posts
Is there really a point in ordering one when you can have the latest and greatest with the click of a button online? Looking at the Honda site there has already been an update which will not happen to your paper paper version so you will most likely check online regardless. My Genesis has interactive and video included in the owners manual online which you cannot do in a book.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is there really a point in ordering one when you can have the latest and greatest with the click of a button online? Looking at the Honda site there has already been an update which will not happen to your paper paper version so you will most likely check online regardless. My Genesis has interactive and video included in the owners manual online which you cannot do in a book.
Yea, I agree @Midnightsun :)

Although I'll have to admit that I went ahead in ordering the Big Ole paper backs for my daughters 2016 Civic and my wife's RL...as I've always just like having them...if anything for the less "tech savvy" in my family.

BUT for myself...I also download the latest from the Honda Owners Website and have them locally on my iPhone and Mac's too (so I could get to them if a person is out of cellular data range / or offline for downloading, too...and MUCH easier, smaller and faster to search a PDF. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
FWIW, I agree with those who stated it is a better idea to search, and if desired, download a PDF copy of the (now) 621 page Ridgeline Owner's Manual. I couldn't do it: I had to order a paper copy. I'm a Luddite. An old Luddite. Holding the manual in my hands is akin to reading a paper copy of The New York Times. Can you read this stuff online? Of course you can. It's not the same. That's why sales of The Times are up by a third this year. I felt compelled to order my copy of the owner's manual. Consequently when it came today on my birthday -- five days after I ordered it, btw -- I was all the more delighted.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
FWIW, I agree with those who stated it is a better idea to search, and if desired, download a PDF copy of the (now) 621 page Ridgeline Owner's Manual. I couldn't do it: I had to order a paper copy. I'm a Luddite. An old Luddite. Holding the manual in my hands is akin to reading a paper copy of The New York Times. Can you read this stuff online? Of course you can. It's not the same. That's why sales of The Times are up by a third this year. I felt compelled to order my copy of the owner's manual. Consequently when it came today on my birthday -- five days after I ordered it, btw -- I was all the more delighted.
The printed manuals are made-to-order, which is why it takes several weeks to get them. They wait until they have enough requests so they can make a batch of them more economically than printing a single one.

The print is too small and uncomfortable for my aging eyes - I'm not quite ready for reading glasses, but I'm getting very close. Somehow, I've made it 4-1/2 decades without glasses despite everyone else in my family wearing them no later than 40 and generally since childhood.

I prefer to read on my tablet, laptop, or desktop - not only for the larger print, but because I can search unlike with a printed copy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here is the monster. I just got it in.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
I want that thick 2019. When I get to the Honda Website it looks like it'll cost $50 and only be the thin version in my glove box. I already downloaded a 2017 thick version.
Ordering within the first six months of ownership and you can get it for free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Appreciate the post, ordered and received hard copies on newly purchased '19 Rtl-T.

First new truck for me in 20 years after 30 years of owning/driving Ford SuperDuty Long Bed crew cabs. Kids are grown and have kids of their own so I no longer pull a large family size RV and I went from trucking dirt bikes around to riding BMW sport touring bikes about 7 years ago, so bottom line is my needs have changed. While I have always had, and will always want a truck, I am loving having one for the first time that actually fits in the garage, drives smooth, is quiet ... so far / so good!

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,728 Posts
Ordering within the first six months of ownership and you can get it for free.
Ditto on thanks for the heads-up. Registered on the Owner site and ordered both the free full printed Manual and full Navigation book to supplement the "Guides" delivered in my glovebox.

Gotta love this forum (thumbs up!) :smile:

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
419 Posts
My company switched over to softcopy service manuals back in the 90's. I had become so accustomed to the large hard copy service manuals and was hesitant to switch over to PDFs. Fast forward to now, eyesight isn't what it used to be and I can find information a lot faster with Adobe search. I have the hard copy Ridgeline manuals as well as the CD. I prefer the CD. The manuals squeeze all this info on the hardcopy and it's so small you definitely can't read it without reading glasses. And forget about the table of contents considering the manuals can be over a few hundred pages. PDF search is much easier, faster and can be viewed without readers on a typical computer monitor.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My 2019 RTL-T came with a printed owners manual as well.
Look closely …. if the cover title is "Owners Guide", with ~120 pages, that's the 'abridged' document included in the standard delivery package.

The "Owners Manual", with ~620 pages (the subject of this thread, both paper and PDF), is much more comprehensive.

Congrats if indeed you got the latter delivered with your RL.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Get printed Ridgeline manuals

I don't know when Honda started doing this, and it's probably a good thing they are saving trees — but offering new Ridgeline buyers a CD version of the manuals in lieu of printed manuals is somewhat ludicrous. I haven't used a PC or Mac in a couple of years that actually had a DVD/CD drive in it. It's not hard to find the PDF on the web. It was offered here on ROC a few weeks ago when it was first discovered. But there is a way to get printed manuals. And I thought I would tip off those who haven't discovered it yet.

If you haven't registered to Honda's owners area of its website, start by doing that. Then navigate to this page:

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/warranty

There's an offer if you look hard enough to fill out an online form to have printed copies of the manuals sent to you for free. There's one catch: you have to request them sometime during the first six months of ownership. The offer expires after that.
Looks like the printed owner's manuals are available only to the first registered owner of the vehicle. Since I purchased pre-owned I am out of luck. Sucks.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Looks like the printed owner's manuals are available only to the first registered owner of the vehicle. Since I purchased pre-owned I am out of luck. Sucks.
Honestly, the paper is a novelty item - grab the identical and much more user-friendly / searchable PDF's available to anyone anytime, slap 'em on your computers and your smartphone, Bob's yer Uncle when you want to find anything about your RL or its NAV ;)

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
375 Posts
I ordered a set of manuals, got confirmation of my order right away. A few days later, a "shipped" notification came and within a week the manuals arrived.

After two months of ownership, I am learning things I had no idea about.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
We received our last week, what a mass of information. Too bad that there is no separation of accessories, and/or their description, depending on the model. Currently I read and get excited about trying something, going out to the vehicle, only then realizing it does not pertain to our model. :(

Bill

81 - 100 of 127 Posts