Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently did the B1 Maintenance (Oil Change/Tire Rotation) on my G2 Ridgeline at 18,500 miles using the QuickJack BL-7000SLX 12VDC version.

I purchased the 7000SLX because it has the most capacity (in case I were to get a heavier truck down the road) and because it is the largest one they have that would fit under my S2000 also. I had considered a in-floor scissor lift (ruled out as the cost/time to redo the concrete) and a maxjax (ruled out since its additional lift height is partially negated by the height of my ceiling).

The marine battery I was going to use for the task had gone bad, so I used jumper cables to attach to the RLs battery (pulling the engine cover off takes seconds and exposes the engine lift point the manual recommends for jump starting). Also found that I had a guest over the winter (the RL gets parked outside) who left his bedding behind.

With the rubber blocks provided and 4 standard pinch weld jack pads I was able to get about 3.5" under the tires at full extension - plenty for most tasks as I was able to roll around under the RL with a creeper. If you want more height they sell an Truck/SUV kit which would give an additional 6 inches or so. The 7000SLX hits all 4 jacking points perfectly, albeit at the ends of the pinch welds.

Let me know if you have any questions

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,753 Posts
@fargin would love to see some better pictures of the lift and not the collage of pics (could care less of the nest pics), I can't really see much after the top pictures. ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
@fargin would love to see some better pictures of the lift and not the collage of pics (could care less of the nest pics), I can't really see much after the top pictures. ;)
I’m not @fargin, but I looked at these after he posted the pics. Not something I can do right now, but something I will consider later on. I found their website: https://www.quickjack.com/
Interesting what it can actually do and stores neatly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sparkland, agree, not cheap but I think a good value. I caught a Fathers Day sale which brought the 7000SLX down to $1390 with free shipping. If you are interested in one they post promo codes on their facebook page and website usually around holidays.

Carsmak, I was in a hurry and the garage is sort of a mess, so I didn't get a lot of pictures - on the next maintenance I might do a video or something. The bottom photos just show that the lifting points line up with the pinch welds on the G2 RL. The collage is actually pretty large but I suppose the site reduced its size to what it is now. Since the most common question about a QJ is 'will it fit my car' I just wanted to get the info out to someone that was on the fence about purchasing one that it does indeed work on the G2 RL.

If you search for Quickjack on youtube or go to their website www.quickjack.com there are lots of videos about how to set it up and how it operates. All of the models work the same way, the only difference is capacity and size (EXT models are 6" longer to accommodate a longer wheelbase, but will not work on sorter cars. Each model has a choice of 12VDC (you need a battery or other device capable of high current using jumper cables or custom wiring) or 120VAC which simply plugs into the wall.

The package comes with everything needed except 2 quarts of ATF. The shipping weight for mine was 230lbs across 3 boxes - each platform is about 100lbs and the pump is about 30lbs (smaller models are lighter, larger ones are heavier). They come fully assembled except for the connecting hoses and quick connect fittings. I had it together and tested in about an hour. Note when testing you shouldn't take it all the way to the top without weight. Also in use, you should not take it with a load all the way to the ground (i.e. removing tires and letting it come all the way to the floor - the jack needs an inch or two of travel to build up pressure before it has a load)

You cannot drive the tires over the ramps and hoses so you need to either place them together in the center and drive over them and pull them out (they give you arms for this), or you place them to the side and push them under after you park. Also note they are a parallelogram, so as they lift they move either forward or backward depending on how you oriented them. In my case, at full extension, it ends up about 13" back from where I started. So in other words, bring the car into the garage and extra 14" or so to account for that. (or reverse the front/rear orientation of the jacks so they bring the car in 13" forward if that works better for you.) For me, since I had the AC on and wanted to work with the door closed, bring it in 14" past where I wanted it to end up meant I could raise and lower with the door down. Hope that made sense.

There are locking arms on each platform with 2 stops. You raise the platform enough to line up the blocks then raise it up. Both platforms stay in perfect synchronization. Once you reach the first locking point you hear a click and you can lower slightly to lock in or keep going to the second stop. Lowering slightly locks the arm in place, at this point you can disconnect the compressor from power or even remove the hydraulic hoses altogether from the platform - Quickjack says you can leave it like that indefinitely if you wanted. Once locked in it is very stable. To lower, you raise the platform off the stops, release the bars and set a small half moon shaped slider down so the bar slides over the stops. then lower the rest of the way.

To put them away, some people hang them vertically or horizontally. you can leave them on the floor or stack them using the rubber lifting pads. They slide pretty easily on the floor so you can slide under a cabinet as long as you have about 6 feet of clear space under it.

For me it is a perfect compromise since I am setting up the garage primarily for woodworking. If you have the room for the columns and the ceiling height to take advantage of the MAX Jax or a traditional 2 post lift, or the time and ability to recess a scissor lift into the floor those are good options as well, albeit at a higher cost.

Hope that helps. On the next maintenance I'll budget more time so I can do a decent write up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Recently did the B1 Maintenance (Oil Change/Tire Rotation) on my G2 Ridgeline at 18,500 miles using the QuickJack BL-7000SLX 12VDC version.

I purchased the 7000SLX because it has the most capacity (in case I were to get a heavier truck down the road) and because it is the largest one they have that would fit under my S2000 also. I had considered a in-floor scissor lift (ruled out as the cost/time to redo the concrete) and a maxjax (ruled out since its additional lift height is partially negated by the height of my ceiling).

The marine battery I was going to use for the task had gone bad, so I used jumper cables to attach to the RLs battery (pulling the engine cover off takes seconds and exposes the engine lift point the manual recommends for jump starting). Also found that I had a guest over the winter (the RL gets parked outside) who left his bedding behind.

With the rubber blocks provided and 4 standard pinch weld jack pads I was able to get about 3.5" under the tires at full extension - plenty for most tasks as I was able to roll around under the RL with a creeper. If you want more height they sell an Truck/SUV kit which would give an additional 6 inches or so. The 7000SLX hits all 4 jacking points perfectly, albeit at the ends of the pinch welds.

Let me know if you have any questions
Does anyone think that the Quickjack BL-5000SLX would work on the Ridgeline? The Ridgeline RTL-E's curb weight is 4515 lbs. I would think that this unit would be more maneuverable than the BL-7000SLX. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone think that the Quickjack BL-5000SLX would work on the Ridgeline? The Ridgeline RTL-E's curb weight is 4515 lbs. I would think that this unit would be more maneuverable than the BL-7000SLX. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

@brnbear the 5000SLX and 7000SLX are nearly the same dimensions https://www.quickjack.com/quickjack-measuring-guide.html , and if you watch some of their 'overloading' videos their ratings are pretty conservative - I don't think you would have an issue with the 5000SLX with the Ridgeline (For me personally I think the extra $150 is a good investment since it would handle something larger in the future.) The 5000SLX is 20lbs lighter per frame, but it isn't the weight that makes them awkward, there just isn't a good way to get a handhold on it. If you leave them on the floor it comes with arms to drag them around, as long as your floor is clean they slide pretty well.
@Cym - I'm a fan of the MaxJax and think it is a great solution, but it just didn't work out for me. I don't have much confidence in my cracked concrete floor to trust bolting the MaxJax down (if I was going to get into concrete work I would have recessed an infloor lift). The way I am designing the cabinetry in my garage I wouldn't have a place to store the towers when not in use.

·
Registered
81 Posts
@brnbear the 5000SLX and 7000SLX are nearly the same dimensions https://www.quickjack.com/quickjack-measuring-guide.html , and if you watch some of their 'overloading' videos their ratings are pretty conservative - I don't think you would have an issue with the 5000SLX with the Ridgeline (For me personally I think the extra $150 is a good investment since it would handle something larger in the future.) The 5000SLX is 20lbs lighter per frame, but it isn't the weight that makes them awkward, there just isn't a good way to get a handhold on it. If you leave them on the floor it comes with arms to drag them around, as long as your floor is clean they slide pretty well.
@Cym - I'm a fan of the MaxJax and think it is a great solution, but it just didn't work out for me. I don't have much confidence in my cracked concrete floor to trust bolting the MaxJax down (if I was going to get into concrete work I would have recessed an infloor lift). The way I am designing the cabinetry in my garage I wouldn't have a place to store the towers when not in use.
Thank you for your input. I guess I will purchase the 7000SLX. It makes logical sense! Again, thank you!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I went with the MaxJax :)
Sweet. Not cheap but definitely worth every penny for someone who wants to do their own vehicle maintenance. I've ended up replacing the brake pads and rotors at some point on every car I've owned, for that alone this would have been worth the $$$ for trouble saved.

I will admit being nervous about the two-post configuration though - so of course my first visit was to the MaxJax site which includes a special section on installation and the engineering behind the anchor bolts (obviously I'm not the first customer to wonder about this). This would take me some getting used to before I'd be comfortable getting under that front end for any length of time.

·
Super Moderator
4,719 Posts
Costco has the Quickjack 5000 on their website now for 1099.99 delivered. Too bad I bought one already from Quickjack.
https://www.costco.com/.product.100460313.html?&EMID=B2C_2018_1012_Winter
Costco has the Quickjack 5000 on their website for $999, but in selected stores it is available for $899. That equates to a $300 discount. Only downside, I have to drive around looking for which store has one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an original BL-5000 (not the SLX). The max distance between the rubber blocks on that lift is 50". It seems like we need 63" for the Ridgeline. Ugh.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts