1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
My dealer said no.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it's a good general practice to vary throttle and acceleration during break-in, and vary speed (specifically RPM) on extended highway drives. Avoid WOT runs to redline for the first few hundred miles, but don't baby it either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think car manufacturers have generally given up on trying to coach people on engine break-in. They figured out they can get away with telling customers that consuming 1 quart of oil per 1-2000 miles is "normal." If you search, you'll find that line used by nearly every manufacturer these days.

sjw985 gave good advice, and I would only add that you do want to just kiss redline now and then, during the first thousand miles or so, and then back off the throttle in say 2nd or 3rd gear and let the engine compression-brake. BUT you don't want to do this until the oil temperature (not the coolant, which gets to temperature far sooner) is up above 200-210F or so.

I don't know if the RL has a numeric oil temperature gauge, but I hope it does(?). If not, maybe there are some aftermarket OBD-II plug-ins to get an oil temperature display while driving. Yet another "cost reduction" measure I guess, along with many cars not even coming with an oil dipstick these days.

You may luck out, by doing absolutely nothing special during the first 1000 miles, but as far as I'm concerned it's only a small inconvenience to pay attention to a few things and have better odds of not having an oil drinker.

·
Registered
153 Posts
IIRC, 600 miles before towing, but nothing else to worry about. I was towing at like 601 miles. :)

Reactions: Shineaholic

·
Registered
77 Posts
Most new vehicles don't have strict break-in requirements or limitations. Don't tow for 600 miles according to the manual, but other than that you can drive it normal from the day you take delivery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I drove mine conservatively for the first 800 miles or so. No stomping of the throttle or extended periods at one rpm/speed. Probably not necessary but makes me feel better. :smile:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hammer down, and zero ****s to give!

This isn't 1975.

Reactions: johnner

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
I've always been of the school of thought to vary the speed/rpm and take it easy the first 1000 miles or so. But I recognize there's another school of thought that believes that hammering the engine during break-in is the best way to break-in an engine too.

That discussion can approach the fervor of religion/political/oil discussions (which we do not participate in here at the ROC). ;) Well, OK, maybe we discuss oil every now and then. :D

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I've always been of the school of thought to vary the speed/rpm and take it easy the first 1000 miles or so. But I recognize there's another school of thought that believes that hammering the engine during break-in is the best way to break-in an engine too.

That discussion can approach the fervor of religion/political/oil discussions (which we do not participate in here at the ROC). ;) Well, OK, maybe we discuss oil every now and then. :D
yeah, not WOT but 3/4 several times and let it coast back down to a slower speed. You can do that X amount of times, I don't even remember but I am not sure what actually helps. These days, I don't think anything hurts as much as cold starts. They say the worse theing you can do to an engine is start it! >:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
With 7 miles on the odo I felt like I was mashing the pedal to the floor to get any go. Now with 400 and it seems like the throttle response is evening out. Probably just me getting used to the throttle mapping on the Ridgeline following years daily driving a manual Subaru Impreza. So in my case it was more a matter of breaking in the driver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We can check back in a few years and see who has dealt with transmission and oil consumption problems... then the tale will have been told. :)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Don't they still have a break-in period for the brakes?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I take care of my car. Don't do anything I don't have to. Try to make my cars last.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
In Regards to my candid comment, my cars are probably taken care of better than 95% on the Roads.

Common sense ain't so common anymore.

Also, break in threads are like oil threads. Full of strange opinions.

Grannying a car around is the WORST thing you can do to it. Especially these new DI engines.

·
Registered
136 Posts
In Regards to my candid comment, my cars are probably taken care of better than 95% on the Roads.

Common sense ain't so common anymore.

Also, break in threads are like oil threads. Full of strange opinions.

Grannying a car around is the WORST thing you can do to it. Especially these new DI engines.
I would beg to differ. Unless it's a high performance exotic vehicle I wouldn't drive it like a total jack ass. And I have seen many car last much longer than their brothers and sisters because the owners grannied them. My father being one of those grannies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 58 Posts