Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to get a feel for the G2 RL so my wife and I took '16 pilot with the 6spd auto out for a test drive. I figured the pilot was as close to the RL as I could get right now.

The best way do describe the driving dynamic was that it felt 'typical Honda"... slightly firm suspension, direct, light steering and a relatively pedestrian "feel".

To be honest I was a little underwhelmed by the acceleration and wondered if I'd be happy with the truck down the road.

My other cars are a BMW 335 X3 which is a hoot to drive and the second car is a Acura CSX (Civic with a 2.0L/ 5spd auto). The CSX has a sporty direct feel that is more than pedestrian.

In the end I don't know if I wouldn't be happier with a 2.7L ecoboost F150... but hell I don't really don't need the extra size.

Price will be fairly close between the Honda and the Ford.

Now I don't know if I shouldn't wait for the revised mid-sized Nissan.

· Registered
158 Posts
So, let me get this straight ... You didn't really test drive a Ridgeline, and yet you've concluded that it might not be the truck for you based on the non-Ridgeline vehicle that you did test drive?!

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct.

Unless the gearing is different and/or the under pinning is different it will be... well the same.

Pretty easy no?

So, let me get this straight ... You didn't really test drive a Ridgeline, and yet you've concluded that it might not be the truck for you based on the non-Ridgeline vehicle that you did test drive?!

· Registered
3,228 Posts
Consumer Reports was not impressed with the Pilot's road manners and said the ride was comfortable but the handling was "ungainly". It's hard to predict how the new RL will feel with bigger tires, a beefed-up suspension and higher stance. Test driving a 6-sp Pilot should give you a good sense of how the RL will accelerate but you'll need to wait for the real thing to draw any conclusions. A large SUV that feels ungainly might still feel relatively agile when it morphs into a mid-size pickup. Remember that the MDX riding on the same platform and powered by essentially the same V6 (different tuning) gets high marks for handling. OK, the MDX does have the SH-AWD while the RL gets the same iVTM-4 as the Pilot. Will Honda get the steering response and handling control just right in the Gen2 RL? Stay tuned!

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Correct.

Unless the gearing is different and/or the under pinning is different it will be... well the same.

Pretty easy no?
Gen 2 is basically a Pilot with a bed. If you were uninspired by the Pilot then Gen 2 will probably leave you with the same feeling.
I may very well be wrong, but I DO expect the RL to drive & feel different than Pilot. It may very well be geared differently, and tuned differently. It also may not share identical suspension. It's weight distribution will CERTAINLY be different. We simply don't know how it will drive until we drive it. I'm just sayin'....

· Registered
296 Posts

· Registered
479 Posts
I have been driving mostly pickups for decades now, and have owned at least 25 different ones that I can recall off the top of my head, including the 3 in my driveway right now (Chevy 1500, Dodge 3500, Ridgeline).

I can cheerfully report that the Gen 1 Ridgeline is far and away the best handling pickup I have ever owned. It's not as straight-line fast as some I have had, but its general driving dynamics and stability at higher speeds are head and shoulders above the others I have owned. It is great fun to drive on the twisties on a pretty day with the sunroof and back window open, it is no sports car by a long shot but for a truck it is outstanding.

Other trucks might be faster in a straight line, but for day-to-day driving confidence and enjoyment the Ridgeline is tough to beat. Great in traffic, great in bad weather, fun in scenic twisty areas (remembering of course it IS a truck), versatile enough to handle 85% of everything a pickup needs to do --- just a brilliantly useful design for the Everyman.

I expect the G2 will be at least as good, probably better.

Is the Ridgeline G1 perfect? Nope, to truly shine IMHO needs about 50 more hp, a slick 6-speed manual transmission, more seat padding, more sound insulation, a premium stereo, and a bit tighter turning radius. A performance version of the Gen 2 (Ridgeline Si) could check off all those boxes if only Honda would listen...

· Registered
606 Posts
When i test drove the Pilot my original impression was the same, really underwhelming. However, I remarked this to the salesman and he had me turn off the ECON button, and then that V6 roared to life. Needless to say the 2nd half of the Pilot test drive was way better than the first. Did the OP turn off the ECON button?

· Registered
2,309 Posts
Another thing to keep perspective is the fact that RL weighs more than 2 tons, even with the Gen 2 going on a 300lb diet.

I suppose the feel of the power train will be similar, but I would think they will feel different due to the length and wheelbase.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
When i test drove the Pilot my original impression was the same, really underwhelming. However, I remarked this to the salesman and he had me turn off the ECON button, and then that V6 roared to life. Needless to say the 2nd half of the Pilot test drive was way better than the first. Did the OP turn off the ECON button?
That could reconcile the questions in my head about OP's observations & Csimo's complimentary, positive impressions about the get-up-and-go ("spirit?") of this new power train.

EDIT: I could not "quote" (closed thread), but see post #6 for an example of Csimo's early musings of how RL might differ from Pilot. There are others that I cannot take the time to find. There's also somewhere that he commented about the new power train's "oomph" (I don't remember if that was regarding his driving impressions of Pilot or ??)
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...ration-2017-ridgeline-latest-information.html

here's a cut & past of that line for example:
"The next-generation Ridgeline will have a very similar engine as the new Pilot (not identical). They may include the intake riser and be tuned for more low end torque rather than higher end horsepower. No major changes from the other 3.5L V6 family." Quoted from Csimo Feb last year.

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If econ is on by default, than no i didn't turn econ off.
I just hit the start button and off we went.

· Registered
566 Posts
Did you see a little green light indicator that looked like a leaf in the dash? If so then ECO mode was on.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
I've have had very few vehicles in my time and cant judge anything I have not seen or have been able to drive. You can go on and on with your comparing it to several other vehicles but wont have nothing to do with this new RL. Lets just see whats really in store then complain about it or praise it. We all expect it to meet are personnel specs but it aint happening. Hell I would like it higher but it isnt happening, dont know if I can get over the looks I've seen with the pics out. Right now I dont care for it but hopin for the best. $hit sounds like I couldnt lift it if I wanted to and that shouldnt matter to any of you just like the sports car drivers that expect it to handle like a race car with custom interior to suit your needs. This thread will never end just like all the others. What you dont like I might, what I dont like you might like. This vehicle is one of those that Honda is trying to appeal to many, can Honda do it, I doubt it cause its in the truck class market and people still have a thing about foreign vehicles. Time will tell, complain or praise and carry on..........and it will keep on going on and on and on until we finally see specs, see it and drive it, dont expect big sales.

· Registered
606 Posts
The Pilot I drove was set to Econ on, I had to turn it off, What you said is identical to my first half of the test drive. I'm 99% sure you had it on the entire time. I would try again, or perhaps just wait out the next couple months until you can actually drive the RL, just make sure to hit the econ button off if you're trying to test the acceleration.

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Just a quick update. I took another pilot out for a drive today and made sure the econ button was OFF.

Problem solved.

The pilot acceleration was more than adequate for me... No worries about performance of the G2 RL

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.