Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Looking at the G2 Ridgeline to buy. My wife and I really want a truck for odd jobs, landscaping, furniture refinishing, and eventual towing of a travel trailer. Seems more practical (and much less ugly) than a Pilot in several ways. We also want it to be a practical vehicle for family and traveling.

Wanted to get your thoughts on this. We don't have kids yet but plan to have two. Therefore the back seat 60% will at some point be taken with child seats. We have two standard poodles, one is pretty tall but only 60 pounds, other is smaller and 40 pounds.

I was thinking for times that we go camping, etc. we would flip up the 40% portion, put a big dog bed on the floor and try to fit both dogs in there. We are only 5'10" and 5'9" and sit fairly far forward in the front seats. As an alternative we could try to put our smaller dog on the ground in front of the passenger and push that seat back all the way. The dogs don't need to love it, but they need to be somewhat ok.

The Ridgeline's rear seats seem to make it the only option in the class where it would even be possible to fit everyone. Do you think they would fit?

I won't put them in the bed, btw.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
One dog? Yes. Two dogs? Difficult.

Kids seats are huge and will make it very difficult to fit two medium size dogs in there. It might work if you stick one in the middle seat and have the other lay on the floor. Why not put them in a travel crate and have them sit in the bed?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Are you sure two child seats will fit on the 60% portion of the rear bench? It will be a bit of a squeeze for the dogs on the 40% side, but you should know if that will work when you look at the real thing. Heck, take the dogs with you to the dealer and make them get into the back with the smaller seat flipped up and someone sitting on the center bench to keep them from jumping up on that part.

My yellow lab and her hunting buddies ride in the bed of my compact truck under a topper. No, it's not as safe for them as being in the cab, but did you know that un-seatbelted dogs can actually cause injury to humans in the cab if you have a serious accident?

One thing about getting an RL -- even if your needs change or your family outgrows it down the road, it is likely to retain it's resale value very well when you trade it in for an F-150. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
You don't want two child seats taking up the 60% portion. You'll want to give adequate spacing between the two seats, which means only the middle seat should be free. Don't underestimate the footprint of child seats.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't really take my dogs out in the car with me around town so this would only be for family trips. I would probably keep the child seats apart at other times.

I know that 3 child seats fit across the old RL with no problems from searches I did on this forum. Even found photos. Also there are 3 full LATCH systems across the back so obviously Honda thinks you can do it. Since I don't own any yet I plan to buy the skinniest ones possible that are also very safe.

I am Canadian and refuse to get a truck that won't fit into my relatively small (20'x20') garage (scraping ice 6-8 months of the year is no fun), so I will never get a big F150, etc. This would be the perfect truck for me and a good DD for my wife.

And again, the Canadian aspect is why I don't want my dogs riding in the bed. It gets to -40F or lower in the winter here sometimes, and is cold for a lot of the year.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It would also be dangerous and uncomfortable to have a dog in front of the passenger. I'm not so sure a full-size could do much better in that department but the bed is the key.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just because the seats have 3 LATCH systems it doesn't mean you should have 3 seats in the back. With one child, you want to place the seat in the center since it's the safest. Then when your second is born, you place them on each passenger side. If your police station provides the service, you should go in and talk to their child seat technician and ask if your setup is safe. They will most likely say no.

A dog's comfort should never trump a child's safety.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We already have 2 large dogs and a kid. We are selling our Escape because of the dogs. We are getting a canopy and going to put down foam/rubber mat for the dogs in the bed. The problem with an SUV with the dogs in the trunk is now we have to put the stroller in the back seat which gets it dirty. Same thing for groceries, etc. it can only go in the back seat. However we will likely occasionally do what you want to do.

One more thing to keep in mind is you can open the sliding window to help heat or cool the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
970 Posts
One dog? Yes. Two dogs? Difficult.

I agree. We have two Old English Sheepdogs (90 and 105 pounds) and we did take both of them on a 1500 mile trip a few years back in the G1. This was with them in the back but with both seats up. No way would it have worked for more than a very short trip (5-10 miles) with only one seat up.

FYI, if you want to you can have custom dog crates made for the bed that are very tough and even weatherproof. Spendy but pretty safe in anything but a really major accident as they typically bolt down. We do not have one in the G1 but had something similar made for the Odyssey interior that bolts to the back row seat attach loops. Powder Coated Aluminum and they love it. Cost about $1200 and we still have full use of the second row seats. Note the second front door for emergency dog exit in case the rear hatch jams.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I am a Ridgeline fan but in this case I would look at Pilot or other larger vehicle.
The two dogs should not be a problem but when you have them+ few kids baby seats don't think so for Ridgeline. My sister has two Chihuahua dogs she puts them in two pet carriers places them on floor in back. Do to dogs light weight they can be stacked on top of each other in carriers. She has done this if 3rd person needs to ride in back. Dogs were not in the picture when we got the Ridgeline. I had a boxer that rode in the back seat of my Acura and her Dodge Caravan. He was gone a few years before we got the Ridgeline and the little rats dogs came 3years after getting Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Dogs in a vehicle belong in a crate in my opinion. Or at the least some kind of dog seat belt/restraint. God help them if you get into an accident. They'll go through one of the Windows or could land on one of your future children.

I'd look at an SUV/CUV instead.

·
Registered
561 Posts
We drive across the country and back annually with one medium sized dog and no kids. We drive half way across the country and back once a year. The dog sits atop about 80% of the back seat, including a bench of sorts that extends to the back of the front seats. Other stuff takes up the remaining 20%. These are long drives in 6 - 8 hour stretches. The dog sleeps a lot normally, but still wants to stand up, stretch, move around a bit, look out the window, etc.

Bottom line is that I would not think we could add another dog to that space and it is both bigger and higher (window level).

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you are not willing to put the dogs in the rear bed, the Ridgeline will not work for you when you have two kids. Period. That pretty much applies to any crew cab pick-up. You don't know what you don't know about transporting little kids, so you are going to have to take the word of those who do know. (And if one of those dogs so much as raises a lip and snarls at the kids, I guarantee you will not have the overcrowding problem for very long either.)

But I say get the Ridgeline anyway. No, it's not going to work when you have the family size you anticipate having. But you don't have that family now and there's no telling when or if you ever will. You can drive the RL in the meanwhile and when it gets too crowded trade it (or keep it) and get a mini-van. There is simply no beating a mini-van for conveniently transporting families.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You guys are killing my dream :(.

I won't buy a new car if it isn't a 10 year vehicle. Otherwise the loss on depreciation is too great. I wanted the Ridgeline for safety (especially forward collision mitigation and small overlap rating), utility, etc. but I do not want two massive vehicles and the one large vehicle needs to serve all functions. I won't buy the Pilot because I think it is the ugliest vehicle in its class (a fat jelly bean blob - even though it is among the best driving). Neither me nor my wife will drive a minivan because of career considerations. I'd rather not get a third vehicle minivan. Now I am at a loss again!

·
Registered
121 Posts

I won't buy a new car if it isn't a 10 year vehicle. Otherwise the loss on depreciation is too great. I wanted the Ridgeline for safety (especially forward collision mitigation and small overlap rating), utility, etc. but I do not want two massive vehicles and the one large vehicle needs to serve all functions. I won't buy the Pilot because I think it is the ugliest vehicle in its class (a fat jelly bean blob - even though it is among the best driving). Neither me nor my wife will drive a minivan because of career considerations. I'd rather not get a third vehicle minivan. Now I am at a loss again!
I don't know what a minivan has to do with one's career unless you run a business that requires large items to be transported.

Look, if you really want the Ridgeline then get it. You may think those dogs are your world right now but once you have kids, those dogs should be on the bottom of your list of priorities. If you're not willing to prioritize the kids' safety over the dogs' comfort then don't get the truck or hold off on kids until you're mentally ready for the many sacrifices you'll have to make. Perhaps a 4Runner or Highlander will be a better fit for you then so you can strap those dogs into a seatbelt and not have them fly into your windshield.

This may come across as abrasive but kids are not just little meatbags that you carry around and take Facebok pictures of. You sacrifice a lot to protect them and sometimes that may mean settling for a different type of vehicle or putting the dogs in the bed where they belong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know what a minivan has to do with one's career unless you run a business that requires large items to be transported.

Look, if you really want the Ridgeline then get it. You may think those dogs are your world right now but once you have kids, those dogs should be on the bottom of your list of priorities. If you're not willing to prioritize the kids' safety over the dogs' comfort then don't get the truck or hold off on kids until you're mentally ready for the many sacrifices you'll have to make. Perhaps a 4Runner or Highlander will be a better fit for you then so you can strap those dogs into a seatbelt and not have them fly into your windshield.

This may come across as abrasive but kids are not just little meatbags that you carry around and take Facebok pictures of. You sacrifice a lot to protect them and sometimes that may mean settling for a different type of vehicle or putting the dogs in the bed where they belong.
I mean, yeah it is abrasive. You have no knowledge of me and no reason to believe that I won't prioritize my children, so it comes off as pretty patronizing to lecture me about how children are not just 'little meatbags' and to suggest I should potentially hold off on having them, presumably due to some level of immaturity. I am not sure what other than ageism or a misguided feeling of entitlement from being a parent could have given you the impression that I plan to use my future children primarily for personal gain on social media. If I didn't want a family vehicle I would be shopping for BMW M3 or something, not a Ridgeline. I would suggest that you examine some of the underlying assumptions and attitudes contributing the tone of your response.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

You want it for safety but want your dogs to lay on the floor of the vehicle?
As a K9 trainer and owner this makes me cringe.

So many in this country frown on the minivan due to ego, or something else, no idea. It remains the best vehicle on the market for kid hauling. If you are married and have kids you made it. You're now past needing a vehicle, any vehicle, for any justification to anyone. For a given job, pick the best tool in the toolbox for the job at hand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ditto! Minivan is the ultimate tool for children and families. This from someone who comes from a BMW 335 (manual/stick transmission)! (M3 was tempting but not anymore utility than 335i in the US. Different story if I was back in Germany.
Honda Odyssey is the currently the ultimate of all minivan options!

Ridgeline will do you well but you may need to consider a crate for everyone's comfort and safety.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'd suggest considering a Pilot and perhaps a small utility trailer for your larger hauling needs. The added enclosed interior space would likely prove very useful once the family (and all that goes with them) comes along! Lots of extra stuff to carry with little ones.....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts