• It is so proud to be a Ridgeline that it only opens sideways

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • It will not open at all and I can't get the body out of the trunk

Votes: 3 4.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the tailgate sticking and breakage seems to be a big deal (mine broke while I was inspecting it at the dealer), with VERY large percentages breaking, I figured we could compile some data.

Please do not post until you have opened and closed it both ways maybe at least 5 or 6 times since it seems to take a few cycles to happen.

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wow! Sorry to hear.
Did not surprise me really. In an odd way it is good since the more of these there are (and there are a lot), the quicker it will get attention and maybe a TSB. I am sure Honda does not want to spend the next three years warranty fixing every one every month. That would get expensive.

The other good news is that I do not use the sideways opening or the trunk all that often. In fact, I would not have noticed it yet if I had not deliberately opened it a half dozen times at the dealer looking specifically for the problem.

The sales guy did not think much of my defect list. He looked a bit sheepish (but was not singing "Somebody to Love") when I found only two defects and both were on the list! The other was rear window seal and easily fixed before I left.

I have an appointment Thursday to look at the tailgate - probably the same cause as most everyone here.

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am getting mine checked out tomorrow. Does not open sideways. I use the trunk a lot so hopefully they can fix it quickly.
Yup, mine is being checked Thursday. I would bet it is the same part. All but one failure has been side opening, none normal opening and only one both. Looks to be around a 25% failure rate so far.

· Registered
64 Posts
Normal truck drop-style works without issue on my Gen2. Wagon swing-out style has to be slammed shut, otherwise it latches partly open, drooping slightly and not aligned with the right side taillight.

Upon opening from that half-latched position I can hear a slight metallic grinding sound when opening.

As it is, the whole tailgate is out of alignment with the bed. One side of the hood is out of alignment too (looks as if the passenger side isn't shut all the way).

I've taken to calling it my new "Friday at 5" truck.

Greeeeaaaatly inspiring! </sarcasm>

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for keeping the input coming guys. I am taking mine in Thursday. I am going to print out the results of the poll and show it to them so they know what to expect and maybe can keep the required parts on hand.

· Registered
606 Posts
Oddly enough, while loading out of a party I was at this weekend, my friend tried to open the "normal" tailgate and said "Hey its locked" to which I said, it cant be, I walked over and opened it right up. That would have been my first case of it sticking. Very strange as I couldn't replicate it again. I'm usually pretty forceful (not to a breaking point obviously) when I pull on the handle though, wonder if that has anything to do with it ? I also keep most of my detailing supplies in the trunk, so I've opened and closed it, maybe 25 plus times now. Still works great.

· Premium Member
87 Posts
Since this thread is all about the gate and problems with it opening - and I'm sure potential owners on this forum are paying attention to it...

I'm not in front of a Ridgeline to look... Can owners verify access to the trunk under the various situations?

1. If I can't swing the gate open, but can lower it, can you still open the trunk? If so, is it easy or is it really tight and a PITA to get it open?
2. If I can't swing the gate open or lower it, can you still open the trunk? If so, is it easy or is it really tight and a PITA to get it open?

Based on pictures if your tailgate won't swing (regardless of whether you can lower it), you're SOL if the trunk is locked as you won't be able to unlock it.

The trunk is one of the key features I look forward to in the Ridgeline, but given the pretty large percentage of folks having problems with the tailgate I'd be concerned of storing anything in it if there's a chance I can't get it open if the common problem affects me.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
67 Posts
Since this thread is all about the gate and problems with it opening - and I'm sure potential owners on this forum are paying attention to it...

I'm not in front of a Ridgeline to look... Can owners verify access to the trunk under the various situations?

1. If I can't swing the gate open, but can lower it, can you still open the trunk? If so, is it easy or is it really tight and a PITA to get it open?
2. If I can't swing the gate open or lower it, can you still open the trunk? If so, is it easy or is it really tight and a PITA to get it open?

Based on pictures if your tailgate won't swing (regardless of whether you can lower it), you're SOL if the trunk is locked as you won't be able to unlock it.

The trunk is one of the key features I look forward to in the Ridgeline, but given the pretty large percentage of folks having problems with the tailgate I'd be concerned of storing anything in it if there's a chance I can't get it open if the common problem affects me.

Thanks!

You can open the trunk from either open position of the tailgate. There is plenty of space to get to the latch in my opinion, but naturally it is more difficult to get to things inside the trunk when the tailgate is down.

I have had my Ridgeline for about 3 weeks now and have opened it to the side probably 50 times. I have used it to get to the trunk, to show it off and to simply admire it. I haven't had any issues thus far. It may be inevitable, but they certainly aren't all broken from the dealer.

· Registered
2,264 Posts

Thanks!
#1 YES! I just tried this on a sport on Sunday. You can open the trunk with the tail gate lowered.
#2 I don't know.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.