Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please post photos of your tinted G2's. Please include in your post which windows were tinted, the brand and series of the tint, as well as the VLT% (visible light transmission).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tinted the driver/passenger fronts with 20% VTL, ceramic tint. I believe the brand was Solar Guard.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I live in NJ where it is illegal to tint front windows, not that it stops some people, but you can get a ticket for it.
Not worth the hassle.
I understand why cops want to be able to see into the windows but the flip side is, if someone wants to shoot you, I don't think not having tinted windows is going to save you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
anyone can confirm if both rear windows and backglass is tinted enough ?

Here in Quebec we arn't to tint front windows so I'm not sure it will be a nice look to tint rear ones without the fronts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I'm sure it depends on what quality product you use, but anyone have an idea what it would cost to just have the two front side windows done with 35%?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I live in NJ where it is illegal to tint front windows, not that it stops some people, but you can get a ticket for it.
Not worth the hassle.
I understand why cops want to be able to see into the windows but the flip side is, if someone wants to shoot you, I don't think not having tinted windows is going to save you.
They do have light almost clear tints like the 3M Automotive Crystalline Series, High heat rejection UV protection without having to darken your windows. Some of the clear lighter tints reject more heat then many of the darker shades so they often are cooler.
I had good quality lighter tint put on my back window of my Acura 16yrs ago.
It's still there. DC is one of the most *** places when it came to tint they would get you doing auto inspection every 2yrs. So I would peel off a light tint on side door windows every 2yrs.
The Ridgeline is sisters vehicle but at time when new I drove it 3 or 4 days a week for the first 2yrs and would swap vehicles with her when traveling.
So many of the accessories I paid for and had put on like tint. This was the first thing I did that was not put on at time when picked vehicle new at dealership. In Maryland were it's registered they are not so hard on tint so I had the two front door windows tinted 35%.
DC is not hard on tint anymore the police would need to stop you if it's to dark inspection station only checks for emission related thing on passenger vehicles now. They use to check everything from lights to dents.
I plan to get my car door window done with this 3M Crystalline Series when I have a little cash laying around. Whenever I get G2 Black Edition I will get front door windows done with this. Motor Trend did a review on it as it has been around some years.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had 50% put on front and rear rollups, back and moonroof. Front rollups were too dark so I had the film replaced with 35%. Happy with that .

The 50% was great during the day but I just couldnt see anything at night on sides unless it had lights on it. I was worried about not seeing a pedestrian. Also couldnt make out the if a car in side mirrors had cop lights or not.

Bob

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Are those window trims plasti dipped or did you use vinyl or something else? I was going to plastidip mine, but would consider other options as well
Plastidip, it is cheap and very easy to get good results with. If you haven't checked out the youtube videos on it, it is worth a try.

1 can of matte black plastidip, some painters tape, newspaper or plastic and you are in business.

Clean and dry everything before you start.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Plastidip, it is cheap and very easy to get good results with. If you haven't checked out the youtube videos on it, it is worth a try.

1 can of matte black plastidip, some painters tape, newspaper or plastic and you are in business.

Clean and dry everything before you start.
Cool. I was tempted to try vinyl on the window trims, but I'm still up in the air.

I dipped the grill, window trims and both sets of wheels on my last car using spray cans. I bought a DYC sprayer about a month ago and am going to try spraying with it when I get some time and see how it goes. I'll be interested to see if the results are any better than the cans. I'm also going to use DipPearl Topcoat instead of glossifier and see if it gives a more paint-like finish.

·
Registered
75 Posts
anyone can confirm if both rear windows and backglass is tinted enough ?

Here in Quebec we arn't to tint front windows so I'm not sure it will be a nice look to tint rear ones without the fronts
The Ontario version I got comes with factory tint at 16% for the rear windows (I have a tint meter) and I did the front driver/passenger at 15%. No idea what brand or type they use, I have couple cars tinted at the tint place over the decades, no issues at all. But certainly, not the highest quality films since there is no warranty (cash deal). This truck is 48 months lease anyways, it doesn't matter if there are bubbles or holes after 4 years. Hmm.... I heard that Quebec is 70% legal, hmm... I ain't gonna drive there. LOL...

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Ontario version I got comes with factory tint at 16% for the rear windows (I have a tint meter) and I did the front driver/passenger at 15%. No idea what brand or type they use, I have couple cars tinted at the tint place over the decades, no issues at all. But certainly, not the highest quality films since there is no warranty (cash deal). This truck is 48 months lease anyways, it doesn't matter if there are bubbles or holes after 4 years. Hmm.... I heard that Quebec is 70% legal, hmm... I ain't gonna drive there. LOL...
Looks awesome with 15% in the front! How's the visibility at night?

PS. where in Toronto are you? I picked up my BE on Friday in Markham.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Yeah.. 15% is the lowest I can go, no problem with visibility at night. Don't go anything lower (such as 5% or 10%), it's WAY too dark and cops will give you tickets, but I think cops in Toronto/GTA/Markham/Richmond Hill/York area are way too busy fighting crimes or giving out speeding tickets IMO, I don't think picking on someone's tint is their priority.... unless you are driving a very sporty car with attitude. I doubt Ridgeline will catch their attention. LOL..

I am in Vaughan area... Congrats by the way!!!! I LOVE MY G2!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Yeah.. 15% is the lowest I can go, no problem with visibility at night. Don't go anything lower (such as 5% or 10%), it's WAY too dark and cops will give you tickets, but I think cops in Toronto/GTA/Markham/Richmond Hill/York area are way too busy fighting crimes or giving out speeding tickets IMO, I don't think picking on someone's tint is their priority.... unless you are driving a very sporty car with attitude. I doubt Ridgeline will catch their attention. LOL..

I am in Vaughan area... Congrats by the way!!!! I LOVE MY G2!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE.
Thanks man! I'm hoping to get my fronts tinted after my appointment at the dealer (getting the swing latch fixed). Going to do 20% since I'm not as ballsy as you to go 15% lol

I'll post pics once it's done if anyone wants to see it for reference!

PS. Riniboo, if I setup a RL sometime in the coming weeks, would you be interested?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I was getting my front windows tinted and the tinter called to say those little wing windows have no drain and that the water/soap he used in the install would make them cloudy and might take weeks to clear up. Does that sound like what everyone else dealt with, or is the place I chose not that good at tinting?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts