Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I looked into options for wireless charging in my G2 BE and after some measuring decided to buy this and place it in the flat area in front of the shifter

It fits in there quite nicely and plugs into the USB port on the right. As my phone is one of the larger models out there (iPhone 8S Plus) it should handle any phone. Whats nice is the grippy texture and slightly raised sides so the phone stays planted and doesn't slide off

When I get in I simply drop it on this pad and its charging while I'm driving. To be clear I have found that the USB port to the right of the pad shuts off when the vehicle does (so you won't be able to leave your phone charging on it when you leave / lock the vehicle) but I don't see that as a big deal

Anyways, hopefully this helps someone as it was a leap of faith (the measurements were tight but it worked out quite nicely)

Attachments

Registered
I've got a round one that I've done the same thing. I have to get it on the charger just in the exact, perfect spot or it doesn't connect. Hit a bump or take a corner hard and it may quit charging.

It is nice not to have to plug the dang phone in every time you want it to charge. I like yours better. Looks like it was made for the spot.

Registered

Registered
Doesn鈥檛 meet most people鈥檚 needs that use phone fir navigation,etc.
They've got options. They can use the built in navigation on the head unit or they can plug the phone in via cable and use maps via Airplay or whatever (which is what I prefer to do on the rare occasions I need navigation)

Most of the time though I'm going places I already know the way to so I can set my phone on this pad and it'll charge while I drive - no muss, no fuss.....

Why not? Should work just fine.
I think Griz is referring to the fact that to use the navigation from your phone via Airplay on the head unit there isn't a wireless option - the only way is to connect via cable

Looked at your link @ Amazon for the charger and it list for $59 cdn. DAMN, it's only $20 US on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Charger-Charging-Station-C3/dp/B07GZZX37F/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548644115&sr=8-3&keywords=Wireless+Charger+car+Wireless+Charging+pad+qi

Quite a difference.
Yup, like most things......

I'm into guns and it pains me to look at prices of anything gun related in the US compared to Canada......:surprise:

I've got a round one that I've done the same thing. I have to get it on the charger just in the exact, perfect spot or it doesn't connect. Hit a bump or take a corner hard and it may quit charging.

It is nice not to have to plug the dang phone in every time you want it to charge. I like yours better. Looks like it was made for the spot.
I have a round unit that I use at home but its pretty smooth so I figured the phone would slide around pretty bad

Like I said, this pad has very subtle rubber grips and slightly raised sides so the phone stays planted. I was nervous regarding the size as one corner the pad was slightly below a piece of plastic trim so I wasn't sure if there would be enough room by the time I placed the phone on top, but I took a leap of faith and turns out it fits pretty good

Registered
Some cars are now coming with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Play. The Ridgeline isn't one of them. The 2019 Accord or 2020 is the only one from Honda that I know of. Since my G2 has the Garmin Nav built in, it isn't a big deal for me. The traffic and nav are typical solid Garmin. Honda Nav sucks. But if you commute and like Waze, Apple Maps or Google Maps, car play is the way to go. I wish that I could do both. So, I have a Proclip phone mount that has a built in lightning connector. So it connects to charge and to connect to Car Play as soon as I pop it in.

Registered

Registered
Anyone considering putting in the OEM wireless charger from a 2019 Pilot Elite model? The part number is 39570TG7A01. Seems like it would fit just fine on the Ridgeline.
Not for the price...$160+.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Administrator
Some cars are now coming with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Play. The Ridgeline isn't one of them. The 2019 Accord or 2020 is the only one from Honda that I know of.
The 2020 Accord hasn't even been announced yet. The 2019 Accord doesn't support wireless Apple CarPlay or wireless Android Auto. In fact, no Honda supports wireless versions of these features. The following vehicles support wireless Apple CarPlay:

BMW 2017 5 Series
BMW 2018 3 Series
Audi 2019 A6 (unconfirmed)
Audi 2019 A7
Audi 2019 A8
Audi 2019 Q8 (unconfirmed)
Audi 2020 e-tron SUV
Lamborghini Urus
Mercedes 2018 A-Class (Q3 2018)
Mercedes 2019 GLE (MBUX system)
Mini 2018 LCI Hatch & Convertible range
Toyota 2020 Supra

https://www.carplaylife.com/feature/how-to-make-apple-carplay-wireless/

I'm not aware of any vehicles that support wireless Android Auto.

Registered
I have a qi-capable phone, and I was able to use a charger from my previous vehicle (hope the link works):
https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Dashboard-Windshield-Samsung-Smartphone/dp/B076B27WP6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

I stuck the base pad to the underside of the cubby below the climate controls, and the charging interface sites to the left of my shifter. While this is farther out of my line of sight than I would like, it is also farther out of the sun and as I found out last summer, mounting this in the sun can heat the phone enough that it stops charging. :-(

Registered
^^^
I loved my iOttie wireless charger in my Frontier but couldn't figure out where to put it in my new RL, gonna have to try that - thanks for the idea!
You have a photo?

Registered
Anyone considering putting in the OEM wireless charger from a 2019 Pilot Elite model? The part number is 39570TG7A01. Seems like it would fit just fine on the Ridgeline.
Old thread, I know...
But I just parted everything, the only road block to using the OEM parts is powering. The Pilot and Passport have a 7pin connector that attaches to the charger, the Ridgeline lacks this connector I believe. So unless you want to wire it yourself somehow, OEM parts wont work.

Registered
Get the one in the OP. Thanks Sniffer. I just got mine, works just as you said, phone doesn't slide, etc. It was $20 on Amazon. I mounted mine in same place. Thanks again.

Registered
I went the route of placing a wireless charger in the upper cubby (above the area with the 12V/USB plugs). The one I found is about 1.5 inches narrower than the opening, and has 3 coils, so the phone will charge in multiple locations on the charger. I have an iPhone XS with a Spigen Tough Armor case, and have had no problem getting the charger to connect to the phone.

The cubby has a small ridge in the middle (I assume to make it easier to grab something placed in it), and I placed a pair of thick felt adhesive chair pads to the underside of the charge to keep it from rocking on that ridge. I coiled up the USB cord with a velcro cord wrap and tucked it in the back of the cubby which helps position the phone so it's easy to grip to remove. The charger has a green LED that lights when the phone is aligned/charging, but can be turned around if you don't want that light staring back at you. With the right side of the phone exposed, I can press the side button to trigger SIRI to make a call if it's not in the RL's call history.

So far, it's been a pretty workable solution for my needs, and keeps the lower tray area free for my wife's/other's phones that need to plug a cable into the 2nd USB port on the 12V adapter.

Attachments

Registered
I bought the Powr wireless charger and mounted to a Proclip so I can use my Iphone for navigation

Registered
Old thread, I know...
But I just parted everything, the only road block to using the OEM parts is powering. The Pilot and Passport have a 7pin connector that attaches to the charger, the Ridgeline lacks this connector I believe. So unless you want to wire it yourself somehow, OEM parts wont work.
I have been thinking about this for awhile. If the OEM parts from the Pilot would mount up physically, I am sure wiring wouldn't be that hard. I wonder why 7 pins, maybe it ties back into the computer for diagnostics. I would think at minimum, you could find the power and ground for it and just use those two and tie that to the 12v outlet on the backside. Any chance anyone has the pinout info for the Pilot one? I might be a guinea pig and try it if I could find some more info...

Parts wise, from what I can tell, there is the previously mentioned 39570TG7A01 (~$165-175), but on factory accessory pages, there are 2 OEM parts that have to be ordered: 08U58-TG7-100 (~$80) and an accessory 08U58-TG7-XXX (~$80) that varies based on trim level. It says there are no accessory parts for Elite or Black trim levels. I assume this is because those come with it, but if so, what is the difference between the other trim levels and would one of those others work? And what is the difference between the $165 part and the 2 $80 parts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts