Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have figured out how to install my new Garmin BC 30 backup camera, with the exception that I am not sure about where to place the transmitter. Any experience out there? Would be nice to just place it near the taillight assembly where I am pulling the power from, but I am afraid that might be too far from the GPS unit. Does anyone know?

If it needs to be closer to the unit, I am not sure if I can run the cable along up under the vehicle (is that standard?) or if that would expose it to weather issues. If it needs to go inside, any suggestions on how to get it where it needs to be?

Thanks much!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
My only suggestion is to pull the bed panel on the same side as your pulling power from, plenty of room and if you pull the back panel, (may have to pull both sides), you can then get in behind the seat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Carsmak, I was thinking that might be the way to go, but with hardware for my tonneau cover bolted into both side panels and the back panel, I think I would be asking for trouble trying to remove and then reinstall all that stuff. If I have to I have to, but I am going to try to find a way to route it up underneath the vehicle in a way that will be protected. Not sure it can be done, but we'll see.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
The best way is to remove the bed wall panels and run the wires through a hole in the back wall with a rubber plug in it. Some of us have run wiring under the truck to under the plastic step trim under the rear passenger door, when running wires for the DIY tailgate lock.

See post 89 buy Nuke83 in the following link....

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/8-accessories/9981-popular-demand-10-electric-tailgate-lock-9.html

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/6-exterior/113970-wiring-around-tailgate-hinge.html

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Would be nice to just place it near the taillight assembly where I am pulling the power from, but I am afraid that might be too far from the GPS unit. Does anyone know?
Per Garmin,
Wireless transmission distance 13.5 m (45 ft), North America;
In reading Garmin, Amazon reviews and Crutchfield reviews; I would most likely install the transmitter close to the reverse light power source. I can do some DIY but I rather not disassemble the bed panels.

Please follow up with your install, as I will most likely buy this back up camera product.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Per Garmin,

In reading Garmin, Amazon reviews and Crutchfield reviews; I would most likely install the transmitter close to the reverse light power source. I can do some DIY but I rather not disassemble the bed panels.

Please follow up with your install, as I will most likely buy this back up camera product.
I'm with you. That's what I am going to try to do. Looking further at the BC 30 components, I realize the longest part of the cable is between the camera and the transmitter, not the power source and the transmitter... therefore there would not be enough cable to run it up through the bed panels to the backseat anyway. I'll keep you posted as to what I end up doing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm with you. That's what I am going to try to do. Looking further at the BC 30 components, I realize the longest part of the cable is between the camera and the transmitter, not the power source and the transmitter... therefore there would not be enough cable to run it up through the bed panels to the backseat anyway. I'll keep you posted as to what I end up doing.
Just finished the install. Absolute piece of cake. Took the taillight cover off, spliced into the power to the reverse lights there and mounted the transmitter right there (plenty of room). Ran the power cable down to the camera mounted on the license plate. Tucked up the cables and replaced the taillight cover Works perfectly.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Just finished the install. Absolute piece of cake. Took the taillight cover off, spliced into the power to the reverse lights there and mounted the transmitter right there (plenty of room). Ran the power cable down to the camera mounted on the license plate. Tucked up the cables and replaced the taillight cover Works perfectly.
How did you mount the transmitter? screw or tape?
Also did you position the transmitter flat side to face the garmin nuvi?
What color wire is the power for the reverse light?
What gps model do you have?

·
Super Moderator
7,262 Posts
PICS or it didn't happen. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did you mount the transmitter? screw or tape?
Also did you position the transmitter flat side to face the garmin nuvi?
What color wire is the power for the reverse light?
What gps model do you have?
The transmitter has tape on the back. I had to mount it vertically but tested reception all the way and never had a problem. The reverse light power on my '08 has green as positive, red as ground. I have a Garmin DriveSmart 60.

First photo shows the mounting point for the transmitter. Second shows the splices. I had a hard time getting the connectors to snap closed so I ran a piece of electrical tape around them after I took this pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The transmitter has tape on the back. I had to mount it vertically but tested reception all the way and never had a problem. The reverse light power on my '08 has green as positive, red as ground. I have a Garmin DriveSmart 60.

First photo shows the mounting point for the transmitter. Second shows the splices. I had a hard time getting the connectors to snap closed so I ran a piece of electrical tape around them after I took this pic.
Looks great! Any reason why the right tail light and not the right?

The T-tap connectors are hard to close by hand. I usually use pliers to snap them shut and insure the wires are connected.

Thanks for the pics! They make it easier to see the process.

·
Super Moderator
7,262 Posts
Looks good, Thanks for the Pics and additional info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great! Any reason why the right tail light and not the right?

The T-tap connectors are hard to close by hand. I usually use pliers to snap them shut and insure the wires are connected.

Thanks for the pics! They make it easier to see the process.
No particular reason I used the right. Either side should be fine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have figured out how to install my new Garmin BC 30 backup camera,
Where did you put the camera? Can you post pictures of the camera location and view from your GPS?

I was hoping the camera case would come apart and the camera itself could be installed in the tailgate handle designed for a back up camera. It is an expensive system, but I'm hoping it will suit my needs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've ordered a BC30 camera kit, and a Garmin DriveSmart 51 which are to arrive today. My intention is to mount the camera on the license plate, using one of the license plate screws. Please let me know how you routed the camera cable to the rear light enclosure. I haven't removed the enclosure yet, perhaps the answer is obvious, but your reply would be appreciated. Also, have you found that the light from the reverse lamps provides enough illumination when backing up at night? Many thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Some of us have run wiring under the truck to under the plastic step trim under the rear passenger door, when running wires for the DIY tailgate lock.

See post 89 buy Nuke83 in the following link....

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/8-accessories/9981-popular-demand-10-electric-tailgate-lock-9.html

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/6-exterior/113970-wiring-around-tailgate-hinge.html
Updating links after the ROC site software change in 2019.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've ordered a BC30 camera kit, and a Garmin DriveSmart 51 which are to arrive today. My intention is to mount the camera on the license plate,
They are on my wish list. I've ordered a tailgate handle with camera hole. Once I get that I'll be looking at the BC 30 camera to see what if any modifications it will take to use in this handle.

I'm hoping that you are able & willing to post pictures & dimensions of the camera itself.

·
Super Moderator
5,331 Posts
They are on my wish list. I've ordered a tailgate handle with camera hole. Once I get that I'll be looking at the BC 30 camera to see what if any modifications it will take to use in this handle.

I'm hoping that you are able & willing to post pictures & dimensions of the camera itself.
I actually installed the BC30 camera setup in my daughter's KIA Soul. It worked perfectly. The mount in the picture makes it possible to attach the camera to a license plate. The picture was pretty clear.

It so happened that we sold the vehicle, not long after I installed it. I still have the GARMN DriveSmart NAV and the camera.

The dimensions of the camera are pretty much a square 1.25"W x 1.25"H x 1.25" D.

Attachments

Reactions: Roy Ridges

·
Registered
217 Posts
I actually installed the BC30 camera setup in my daughter's KIA Soul. It worked perfectly. The mount in the picture makes it possible to attach the camera to a license plate. The picture was pretty clear.
The dimensions of the camera are pretty much a square 1.25"W x 1.25"H x 1.25" D.
Thanks @Sparkland

Although I have not touched a BC 30 camera yet. I have tried to envision it from the pictures.Thanks for posting yours and the measurements. I'm not sure how it will fit on the plate of a Ridgeline. I wonder if it will interfere with the tailgate or if can be easily hit when the tailgate is open sideways because it will be in the notched step area.

I've also wondered if it would fit in the plastic trim at the top of the tailgate.

After looking at a lot of pictures I imagine I might be able to fashion a bracket that will attach to one side and the tailgate handle bolt on the outside and possibly shave it down a bit to fit the handle recess on the other. I am getting my handle next weekend.

I noticed that @danbee that posted above is from the same area. I was hoping to see their camera pre & post install. I was also sort of hoping they would trust me enough to wrap the camera in saran wrap so I could make a quick silicone mold of the outer casing. With a mold I could make a number of models to modify and trial fit before trying it on a real camera.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts