Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those interested:

NEW UPDATE

A new Garmin Express software update is available as of AUGUST 8, 2018 - V6.7.0.0 (Replaces previous update V6.6.0.0)
Download here: Current Version of Garmin Express

When they are made available the current version release notes can be found here: Garmin Express Release Notes

Garmin Express is the application needed to upload the latest Garmin map version to your Ridgeline navigation. Current map version is v2018.0 and we are to get one update a year, but it is free for 5 years.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. I may have an explanation, but just a guess. Just last week I had my entire audio/nav head unit replaced. I noticed one big change with regard to vehicle icons. They changed to only Garmin "normal" icons and no RLs like I had before. I wasn't sure if I had moved forward or backward. Looks like I got a new software version for the Garmin. Perhaps Honda, for whatever reason, has not made the update available to the masses yet. Makes no sense for the various RL icons to go away. I have not figured out how to add more vehicle icons, but have been able to add more voices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had my RTL-E for just over a week,so still in learning mode on the navigation features.

On this update, are you doing this on your phone and then will work with the navigation in the truck? Or is this an update you are initiating from the console in the truck?

John

·
Registered
461 Posts
Had my RTL-E for just over a week,so still in learning mode on the navigation features.

On this update, are you doing this on your phone and then will work with the navigation in the truck? Or is this an update you are initiating from the console in the truck?

John
Instructions are here. https://honda.garmin.com/honda/

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

John
As noted by midnightsun we have been talking about updating/using a PC app called Garmin Express which is used to do a Garmin nav map update or a nav system firmware update although no new firmware has been forthcoming via GExp. This process utilizes both your PC and the Ridgeline console.

You actually have two separate nav systems if you have a smartphone, i.e., iPhone and utilize Apple Car Play or if you have an Android phone then I believe it is Android Auto Play (??). Those system map updates are a phone function and you get them when they feel like giving them to you. You are at the mercy of Apple maps or whatever Android uses - Google???

·
Registered
13 Posts
As noted by midnightsun we have been talking about updating/using a PC app called Garmin Express which is used to do a Garmin nav map update or a nav system firmware update although no new firmware has been forthcoming via GExp. This process utilizes both your PC and the Ridgeline console.

You actually have two separate nav systems if you have a smartphone, i.e., iPhone and utilize Apple Car Play or if you have an Android phone then I believe it is Android Auto Play (??). Those system map updates are a phone function and you get them when they feel like giving them to you. You are at the mercy of Apple maps or whatever Android uses - Google???
So I do have Garmin Express on my PC. I use it to update my running watch. How does this tie into my car?

I did go check the map settings in the RTL-E. Got the following.

About
Model: Garmin Navigator
Unit ID: 1018xxxxxxx
Software ID: 2.14
HONDA: 2.0
Audio Version: 2.20
Voice Command: 2.40
Text Version: 2.14

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I do have Garmin Express on my PC. I use it to update my running watch. How does this tie into my car?

I did go check the map settings in the RTL-E. Got the following.

About
Model: Garmin Navigator
Unit ID: 1018xxxxxxx
Software ID: 2.14
HONDA: 2.0
Audio Version: 2.20
Voice Command: 2.40
Text Version: 2.14
Just follow the link given earlier to get the process started. You need a 16GB thumb drive, but that is all listed in the instructions online. Once the thumb/USB drive is registered with your G2 head unit then GE will recognize it as a valid "Garmin GPS". My current maps are v2017.0. You may not need a map update, but I would be curious to know what your map version is. You can get that info here:

Map > Settings > Map & Vehicle > myMaps

Interesting to note that your Garmin firmware is v2.14, which is the same as mine. Your G2 is recently built so that confirms that newer factory head units have the updated firmware. Mine was a recent warranty replacement head unit that gave me v2.14. Others have not had the update available yet via Garmin Express but I would hope that will be forthcoming for everyone else.

There is also an online navigation manual you should get, if you didn't already.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See Post #1 for current Garmin Express update to v 5.5.0 as of May 23, 2017.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
These are updates to the updating software, not updates to the maps/system though.
Never said they were. Honda is still way behind on the map updates. They just pushed v2018.20 NA map update to the rest of the Garmin world. Honda has only offered v2017.10 so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the alert. I just bought a 2017 RTL-T and just finished updating the navigation maps.

WHAT AN ANTIQUATED PROCESS! And the instructions at https://honda.garmin.com/honda/#getStarted and https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/8vzoH5r1tRANWNbfmAyxvA differ in important respects.

Put the USB stick in before or after you start the engine? Do you have to leave the engine running for the entire time while you go back to your computer and download the update? They weren’t kidding when they said it would take up to 4 hours!

And all for a product that so far seems to me to be inferior to Google Maps which I can access via Android Auto! The only advantage that I can see to the built-in Garmin is that I don’t have to use my phone data to operate it.

I'm not knocking the Ridgeline - love it so far!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's not Honda, that's Garmin. I have several dash-top units I keep updated and they all take forever to download the updates.
Pretty much depends on your connection speed and how hard the Garmin servers are being hit at the moment you go for the map update files. It almost never turns out to be as long as GE indicates. Be thankful they all aren't this bad - >:) (Note for those that do not own a Garmin GPS your Honda device update will not see the Vehicles and Voices options and others seen in this screen shot)

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Garmin app can't find my stick on my iMac. Tried all of my usb ports. Guess i'll have to wait till it goes to the dealer for service. Anyone know if works with an iPad?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Garmin app can't find my stick on my iMac. Tried all of my usb ports. Guess i'll have to wait till it goes to the dealer for service. Anyone know if works with an iPad?
Possibly re-format the USB drive and make sure it is formatted Fat32. Or ru. The PC version of Garmin Express in simulation mode. IPad won't work. No USB port.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts