Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to update my map using the standard process. Each time, after download through Garmin Express there was a failure to load by the unit in the truck. So the truck was initially writing the information correctly to the memory stick, but once information was on the memory stick and plugged back into the truck, the system would reject the update, giving an error code. Called Garmin, who said this was a problem with the truck, not the map update.

Took to dealer who said for them to update map would come with a cost. I advised what I had done and that Garmin said this was an issue with the truck. Service rep advised that to get this done by Honda (no cost) he'd have to get with Honda. Two days later they agreed to do a "courtesy update."

Brought back to dealer who tried repeatedly to update and failed (after 7 hours of waiting). Service rep advised he would get with Honda and call back. He didn't. Called repeatedly and left messages, which he ignored over a period of a week or so. Called dealer service manager, who agreed to check into it. Apparently there was a lot of back and forth with Garmin, who stated that they needed to use a 16 GB memory stick (that exact size). Dealer had been doing this for a long time with a 32 GB memory stick. Dealer went and bought a 16 GB memory stick and I returned. Same failure (after 2 hours of waiting).

Assistant service manager now agreed to get with Honda about replacement of the audio unit, as this is apparently the brains of the navigation system. Had to call back several times to ask on status, but eventually Honda agreed to replace at their cost. Not sure why, since truck is out of warranty, but considering truck comes with five years of map updates, that may be the reason. Of course, all saved information (addresses, phone info, custom settings) was deleted during this process.

Ultimate repair receipt attached, with part number.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Glad to hear they are correcting it. And it's EXACTLY why, for the first time ever, I purchased an extended warranty. In fact, I purchased the warranty the same day I bought the truck, because I knew I'd forget to do it later. I saw that USS Enterprise console and thought, yeah, that could be a problem down the road. Of course, I didn't expect to have my truck towed to the dealer before my first payment, but that was their fuel pump dealio recall All good there now as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
...but considering truck comes with five years of map updates...
Five years of map updates? How does that work? Every time I look into updating mine they (Garmin and the dealer) quote $210 + tax. So far I've passed on it and just use Google Maps/Android Auto when I've needed it.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Five years of map updates? How does that work? Every time I look into updating mine they (Garmin and the dealer) quote $210 + tax. So far I've passed on it and just use Google Maps/Android Auto when I've needed it.
You use the Garmin updater on your computer to download the maps and then load it to the truck after.

I did that on my '19 Odyssey and it worked like a charm the very first time. The download of the map from Garmin through the updater takes hours, so let it download overnight, but the actual upload to the truck should take 20mins.

Yes all POI and saved data points will be erased during every single update.

To be honest, I do not use that on my van as it is grossly off in calculating. I use Android Auto and its been flawless.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
...Honda agreed to replace at their cost.
Be very thankful you got a new unit. By doing so, you may have also avoided this:

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/161-2g-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation/207145-tsb-18-024-clock-resets-navigation-shows-vehicle-wrong-location.html?207145=#post2950553

Everything you always wanted to know about map updates, but were afraid to ask can be found here: :)

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/161-2g-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation/199490-garmin-map-updates.html

·
Super Moderator
4,718 Posts
I can't help but think there are going to be quite a few "discounted" pre-owned vehicles of every brand because the infotainment system has bitten the dust and the vehicle is out of warranty.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
I can't help but think there are going to be quite a few "discounted" pre-owned vehicles of every brand because the infotainment system has bitten the dust and the vehicle is out of warranty.
...particularly in models where "everything" is controlled by the infotainment system - including the A/C.

Fortunately, automotive electronics are built to withstand harsh environments. Some of the first touch screens in mid-80's Buicks and Oldsmobiles are still operational even though the bodies of these vehicles rusted away decades ago.

I've seen one report recently of a faulty DVD-ROM drive in a G1 Ridgeline failing rendering the navigation system useless, but the other tens of thousands of systems in Ridgelines so equipped seem to be soldiering on some 14 years later.

The last time I checked, there is still at least one company that repairs touch-screens from those 35 year-old Buicks and Oldsmobiles I mentioned above.

We have a million-dollar turret punch press at work from the early 1990's with a touch-screen CRT that recently went out. Although first-party support ended years ago, an aftermarket company stepped in and made a retrofit LCD touch screen that works great. It probably won't last as long as the original CRT, though. :)

I'm confident the aftermarket will continue to repair these things long after they're considered obsolete as long as there is a demand.

Thanks, @zroger73! I might try it this weekend if it rains and I can't work on the yard.
Hopefully, your updates will go smoothly like mine and others' did and you won't need a new navigation system. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Apparently there was a lot of back and forth with Garmin, who stated that they needed to use a 16 GB memory stick (that exact size). Dealer had been doing this for a long time with a 32 GB memory stick. Dealer went and bought a 16 GB memory stick and I returned. Same failure (after 2 hours of waiting).
I call BS... Well at least, I've updated my maps to 2019 using a 8GB thumb drive.

PS. Thanks for sharing your experience.

PPS. Almost bought from Pacific Honda. Found a better deal further south. So far Poway Honda (sonic) has been offering good service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts