Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did an update to the Garmin maps yesterday - fairly quick process and just followed the directions here:

https://honda.garmin.com/honda

Use the USB port below the temperature controls.

While the instructions say it may take hours it did not. Initial process in the truck took a minute or so, updating the maps in the truck took about 10 minutes. Longest time is the map download from Garmin.

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
This scares me.

As a long time Garmin user, they always had a wonderful search interface. You would start to type in a street in a pre-selected state, and it would auto finish. Also had zip code entry to narrow it down. The NEW software searches a database, and EVEN AFTER you select a state such as NY, it still searches in the surrounding 3 states, giving you 40 "123 Chauncy St"s to sift through in 3 states. It has become completely unuseable.

THANK GOD the G2 has the older Garmin Interface, making it the best in existence.

So it scares me that it could update to this completely useless new version.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about the update.

It took a long time to download to the USB from pc, probably close to the 3 hr claim. I left my pc on and went to do errands.

Installing from USB to truck took me like 15min, maybe less.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Curious. I picked up 2017 RTL-E Oct 14, 2016.
1. What edition of the Garmin software was likely loaded?
2. Do the updates cost money?
3. And if so does the fact I paid for lifetime updates on my Garmin ZUMO would that also include updates for the Ridgeline GPS?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Curious. I picked up 2017 RTL-E Oct 14, 2016.
1. What edition of the Garmin software was likely loaded?
2. Do the updates cost money?
3. And if so does the fact I paid for lifetime updates on my Garmin ZUMO would that also include updates for the Ridgeline GPS?

The only way to know for sure if the latest version was loaded on your truck is to check it at the link fvg provided in his OP. Updates are free for the first 5 years, then we have to pay. In my experience with Garmin the lifetime updates on your ZUMO won't cover any other devices - they limit it to the device you bought the updates for. Hope you're enjoying your new RL!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes, Garmin is pretty clear that a lifetime subscription is for that device. And it's as long as they support the device, not how long the device lasts.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I did the update, and now everytime I start the car it asks if I want to load the setting file. No clue how to turn this off.
Hmmmmmm...... sounds like the update didn't finish the job. Maybe reloading the update would fix it. Please let us know if you find a fix for it.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
What if you are MAC based and don't have any pc's? Have a dealer do it? Do they usually charge for this service or is it covered by warranty work?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I used the Mac version and it went well. Took about 6 minutes download the map and then another 15 minutes to complete the installation on the USB however this will differ with connection speed. Mine is 130 mb/s so pretty fast.

Software version is 2.07
Updated Map Version is 2017.0

Installation to head unit took about 11 minutes. After completion you will get a "installation successful" window where you then confirm by clicking the OK button.

Seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice that you get 5 years of updates. Wife's buick, 300 dollars for the update, and thats just the parts.

Just did mine took all of 15 min. The download was slow, Garmin site dependent, Google fiber here 1000 mb/s.

I did not leave the vehicle running, rather I turned it on with out holding the break down and turned off Climate Control.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice that you get 5 years of updates. Wife's buick, 300 dollars for the update, and thats just the parts.

Just did mine took all of 15 min. The download was slow, Garmin site dependent, Google fiber here 1000 mb/s.

I did not leave the vehicle running, rather I turned it on with out holding the break down and turned off Climate Control.
Google Fiber is fantastic, especially on downloading! Mine took no time downloading. :nerd:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread. I got the pop up on my MacBook screen about my Garmin Nav4(Zumo660) and my wife's Nuvi needing updates. I would have forgotten about the truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have some .gpx files from Garmin with some pre-loaded routes out west. Can these be loaded into the GPS of my Ridgeline (G2)?

Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just use Google Maps via Android Auto ever since Day-1 of ownership. My maps are always up to date... and don't look like a cartoon.

:wink:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just did the update - super easy. I have a relatively slow internet, so the download took over an hour. The time in the truck was much quicker - 10 minutes-ish? By the way, the instructions call for letting the truck idle while you do this - that's not necessary - push the start button twice without touching the brake pedal and the truck goes into "on" mode (not running). The update worked fine in this mode. Also by the way, I've used Garmin Nav units for ages, and I'm used to the interface, so the RL's nav feels comfortable to me...

1 - 20 of 417 Posts