Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

381 - 400 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
579 Posts
Someone earlier in the chain was asking about the map version on a 2020. I have a 2020 RTL-E that I bougot a little less than two weeks ago. If was fresh off the truck from the plant. Had 5 miles on it when I test drove it. The map version that was on it was the 2019 maps. I checked before I updated. My update went fine with no problems.
My 2019 has 2017 maps on it! Weird
My only USB stick on hand was 2 or 64. The issue with 64 is Windows will not give you an option to format in FAT32. Only EXFAT or NFTS, niether of which will work. So I needed to download some freeware to do the format (AOMEI Partion Assistant). Only took a few minutes but jeez what a pain. Cars still using a format designed for when cards and sticks were less than a gb lol.
Anyway, map download on to the stick is now taking a couple of hours on my super slow internet. I read that the internet is being overloaded by people working from home due to Corona virus quarantine. Anyone else noticing a slowdown?

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Anyway, map download on to the stick is now taking a couple of hours on my super slow internet. I read that the internet is being overloaded by people working from home due to Corona virus quarantine. Anyone else noticing a slowdown?
I haven't noticed any slowdowns on our 40 Mbps fiber connection at work or my 400 Mbps cable connection at home, but as schools, churches, and businesses start teleconferencing and bored individuals start streaming because there's nothing else to do, I can see this stressing the networks. And, if and when problems do arise, technical support may be less available and fixes may take longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I grabbed the first USB drive I could lay may hands on, 64GB and the vehicle (Ridgeline) would not accept it. Once I switched to a 16GB, everything worked fine. Interesting just got a 2020 CR-V Hybrid to go along with my 2017 Ridgeline, and Honda gave us a 2019 map on it. ?

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
The reason the 64GB wouldn't work is that Windows will not format that with FAT32. If you use a utility you can format that drive with FAT32 and the Ridgeline will see it.

·
Registered
2020 rtl le
3 Posts
Did an update to the Garmin maps yesterday - fairly quick process and just followed the directions here:

Honda Navigation Updates

Use the USB port below the temperature controls.

While the instructions say it may take hours it did not. Initial process in the truck took a minute or so, updating the maps in the truck took about 10 minutes. Longest time is the map download from Garmin.
Just did mine in a 2020 too. Use a 16gb sandisk at Walmart for 4.99. It did not work using a larger drive for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just updated mine with a 16 GB flash drive. It only use about 6.8 GB. I wonder if you can get away with an 8 GB drive.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just updated mine with a 16 GB flash drive. It only use about 6.8 GB. I wonder if you can get away with an 8 GB drive.
If it only used 6.8, then yes you could have used an 8 gb. But I'm sure different updates are different sizes they say 16 gb just to be safe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They say to use a 16 g so use a 16 g. Simple as that. I did mine today and it took all of about 30 minutes to git er done. There's nothing to it. Very easy. Just follow the instructions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They say to use a 16 g so use a 16 g. Simple as that. I did mine today and it took all of about 30 minutes to git er done. There's nothing to it. Very easy. Just follow the instructions.
You can also use the same USB disk over and over again for your future updates without having to reformat anything again, just use the same USB disk when you want to update the maps to download the Garmin updates too and then put it in the Ridgeline. I keep my stick in a folder with the rest of my Ridgeline stuff so I don't use it for anything else, it's right there with the printed directions on how to do the update.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
How often do maps need updating?
Once a year. When I got my Ridgeline, the maps were out of date so I updated then and once a year since.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just updated my 2019 RTL-E, maps were from 2017.
I left the infotainment system on, but the engine off.
The whole process took under an hour.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Doing my 2nd map update on my 2019. Used the integrated maps this past weekend when we were in an area with little to no cell service and was a bit disappointed. Garmin kept wanting us to go down closed roads and across fields. These roads had been closed for the last 30-40 years when they built a lake and most are under water. Ended up breaking out the old paper map from 2000 and using that to navigate around. I don't recall having this issue with my Nuvi. To be fare, Google and Apple did not pick up on the roads that were also closed for construction since May either. Great day for a drive though. 2hrs left to download at 700KBs. I do hate satellite internet.

Reactions: mikey159

·
Registered
579 Posts
Doing my 2nd map update on my 2019. Used the integrated maps this past weekend when we were in an area with little to no cell service and was a bit disappointed. Garmin kept wanting us to go down closed roads and across fields. These roads had been closed for the last 30-40 years when they built a lake and most are under water. Ended up breaking out the old paper map from 2000 and using that to navigate around. I don't recall having this issue with my Nuvi. To be fare, Google and Apple did not pick up on the roads that were also closed for construction since May either. Great day for a drive though. 2hrs left to download at 700KBs. I do hate satellite internet.
Surprising that garmin would be so out of date that it would suggest a road that has been under water for 40 years.
We had a new road and highway offramp constructed in the last year, and when I updated my map recently it was all shown correctly. But this is not a remote area, Denver suburbs, which I would expect would be monitored more closely than a place in the country.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was pretty surprised as well. The area was rural but right off a major state route. At one point a road they called out was a hay field with a locked gate. Garmin called it an unimproved township road. The next road to turn on was over a mile away, State Route and paved. Map updates were completed yesterday and I am interested in seeing how they do. I also verified my settings were on no dirt roads, and quickest route. I could see shortest route doing some weird routing but now I understand better how people end up stuck on an unpaved mountain pass in January by following their GPS. On the paper map issued by the state, two of the 3 roads showed as dead ends with a big lake in the middle and the field had no roads. Someone is not following up on QC with Garmin.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I followed every step for the Garmin update. It took me about an hour the whole process. At the end, I got a message that said "Map Update failed"; but, when I look at the map version it has the 2020 map. Strange; but, I think it did work!

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
I followed every step for the Garmin update. It took me about an hour the whole process. At the end, I got a message that said "Map Update failed"; but, when I look at the map version it has the 2020 map. Strange; but, I think it did work!
If you look back through this thread others have had the same issue.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
57 Posts
I recently purchased my RTL-E and it came with the 2019 maps installed. I just updated to the 2020 maps. It went flawlessly and took about 45 minutes from start to finish.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Reactions: The Hunk
381 - 400 of 448 Posts