Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

401 - 420 of 448 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I received a notification yesterday, on the infotainment screen, when I started the vehicle - maps are out of date.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I received a notification yesterday, on the infotainment screen, when I started the vehicle - maps are out of date.
Mine did that too. Upon vehicle start, it was a one-time popup screen with a sentence or two (I didn’t take a pic or recall its exact wording), saying that the map was out of date, and an “OK” button to dismiss the popup. Then it never appeared again. Since the popup was similar in appearance to the standard navigation disclaimer popup that appears on each start, it’s easy to miss (I don’t read the standard disclaimer anymore....)

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not for Honda. 2020.0 is still the latest one. I updated it in 2019 so it's been over a year since they did a release. Garmin is currently at 2021.10 for most of their devices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I've tried to update my maps on a canadian 2019 ridgeline, touring edition but keep running into the same issue. According to the nav system, the installed maps are 2017 version.

Using a MacBook, i've formatted a 16gb usb drive using fat32, master partition record. I understand the first step is plugging in the usb stick into the front usb jack, turning on vehicle, going to update maps, hitting ok twice and then waiting 60 seconds before turning truck off and removing usb drive. Then when i come back to the laptop, running garmin express, go to add a device and then let it find the usb drive which mac is showing is active/mounted. However, after it searches for a while, it always comes back with the red banner "We couldn't find a device or ANT stick." as you can see below. What could i possibly be doing wrong? If i open the drive, i can see a "Garmin" folder and inside that folder a "GarminDevice.xml" file. But I've re-done these steps 6 or 8 times and Garmin Express never finds my usb drive. Even tried to format the drive on a windows machine and same end result so I'm guessing the problem is not with the drive.

Any assistance is appreciated. Extremely frustrated at this point as its probably something simple I'm doing wrong.

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 1.17.08 PM.png

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
49 Posts
Just FYI, even 2020 Ridgeline purchased off the lot in July 2020 still has 2019 maps, so I’m sure they don’t update/change anything from when they first started shipping 2020 models. So will need an update.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,

I've tried to update my maps on a canadian 2019 ridgeline, touring edition but keep running into the same issue. According to the nav system, the installed maps are 2017 version.

Using a MacBook, i've formatted a 16gb usb drive using fat32, master partition record. I understand the first step is plugging in the usb stick into the front usb jack, turning on vehicle, going to update maps, hitting ok twice and then waiting 60 seconds before turning truck off and removing usb drive. Then when i come back to the laptop, running garmin express, go to add a device and then let it find the usb drive which mac is showing is active/mounted. However, after it searches for a while, it always comes back with the red banner "We couldn't find a device or ANT stick." as you can see below. What could i possibly be doing wrong? If i open the drive, i can see a "Garmin" folder and inside that folder a "GarminDevice.xml" file. But I've re-done these steps 6 or 8 times and Garmin Express never finds my usb drive. Even tried to format the drive on a windows machine and same end result so I'm guessing the problem is not with the drive.

Any assistance is appreciated. Extremely frustrated at this point as its probably something simple I'm doing wrong.

View attachment 404472
I had the same issue on my macbook. Try uninstalling Garmin Express and reinstalling. kind of the old "unplug and plug back in" deal.
Ended up working fine, to an extent.
When I went to then upload to my infotainment, around 97-98%, it gave me a failed message. I checked the version installed, and using it, everything seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for that suggestion. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the garmin express app a couple of times and still same result. Garmin Express consistently just does not recognize that 16gb usb drive even though macOS consistently see's it and i can see the garmin folder and xml file in finder. I've reformatted that 16gb usb drive many times using macOS and windows using fat32 and always the same result. i don't have any other 16gb usb drives handy but do have a couple of 32gb drives i could try if that makes any difference.

It's quite frustrating!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Make sure no other USB devices a plugged in while it writes the Garmin map info from the truck on to the flash drive. Try using the USB jack inside the console. Mine will not update from the USB jack next to the accessory 12v jack, I have to use the inside console jack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for that suggestion. I had always been using the usb jack below the heating/ac controls. So I formatted the drive again, this time using a windows 10 pc, used the jack inside the console under the retractable cover, and .... same result. Garmin Express does not find the usb drive. Again, the drive shows up in finder with a garmin folder and xml file.

This has me stumped. I may try formatting and trying one of my 32gb usb drives if that doesn't cause any harm.

Thanks again for your feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was finally just able to do the installation of the new maps and everything went without a hitch. I ended up using a 32gb usb drive that i always have installed in the Ridgeline with USB music on it. The first time i connected a 16gb usb drive that had been freshly formatted, i wasn't aware that i should have all other usb drives disconnected in the truck. So even though it showed the 16gb as having the garmin folder, the truck also installed the same garmin folder on the 32gb usb. So this afternoon, i connected the 32 gb usb to my MacBook and was getting ready to format it to try to use it for the map updates, and noticed the garmin folder was on it as well. I deleted the mp3 music folders off the drive, launched Garmin Express, and what do you know, it found the drive right away. I downloaded the updated 2020 maps to the 32gb usb drive and just updated the truck with these new maps. Whole process of downloading on the MacBook and installing in the Ridgeline took less than 45 minutes.

Thanks again everyone for your assistance. Following up in the event my mistake helps someone avoid doing the same thing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, today I decided to update the Navigation on my 2019 Ridgeline.
After reading, rereading and reading again the instructions on the proper way to accomplish this task, I bravely formatted (FAT32) a new 16 Gig USB memory stick. Then, with sweaty, trembling hands I began the process.

For those faint-of-heart Ridgeline owners who have put off updating their Navigation units I can happily report... EZPZ!!! (y)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Is 2020.0 the latest Garmin map available right now?
Yes for the Ridgeline. Map 2021.10 is starting to roll out for the Pilot, Oddy, and Passport which all use a different infotainment system than the Ridgeline.

Reactions: crackjackx

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is triggered after one year has passed since the last map update. I just got this today, and of course, I had updated to 2020.0 last year at this time so even though I get the notice there is nothing for me to update.

It's sad that Honda only issues an update once a year (or even a little bit longer). In contrast, I purchased a Jaguar in August 2020 and I've already been notified by the car of three separate map updates (that I've downloaded and installed). There's no excuse for this since Garmin puts out their updates at least quarterly.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,924 Posts
Honda doesn't issue or create updates for the Garmin systems - Garmin does.
True enuf, but ....
  • Honda pays Garmin a fee to provide the nav systems for their vehicles (a license-fee for the firmware/software and its use, not suggesting Garmin provides the physical hardware).
  • There's a cost associated with Garmin 'packaging and delivering' subsequent map updates tailored to the Honda systems (just as there is a cost for Garmin to 'package and deliver' map updates tailored for their own branded devices, which happens to occur at much more frequent intervals than for the Honda systems).
  • For the period of 'free' map updates that cost is 'covered' by Honda through their license-fee agreement with Garmin. That agreement likely establishes the frequency that Garmin will 'package and deliver' updates to Honda's customers (the frequency of that effort likely having great bearing on the cost Garmin incurs to do that work, and therefore the price Honda pays Garmin for providing it to their customers, and therefore the price of Honda vehicles with nav paid by Honda's customers).
  • It's quite likely that Garmin is capable of 'packaging and delivering' Honda system map updates more frequently if someone wanted to foot-the-bill for that (witness the frequency of Garmin-branded device updates which cost during any period of 'free' updates, including 'lifetime', is factored into Garmin's consumer price for those devices).
All ^that^ sound about 'right'? If it does, then the matter of Honda map update frequency is in fact a function of Honda decisions relating to customer satisfaction and support much more than Garmin decisions or capabilities.

Fair / True enuf?

(based on recognition of the fact (ignored by many) that nothing is "free", but in business a buyer (in this case Honda) can usually get whatever they're willing to pay for)

(what about the frequency of updates after any 'free' period? For both Garmin-branded and Honda-branded devices I suspect that's a function of what the market will bear for those 'paid' updates, and is closely related to (if not inextricably and directly tied to) the frequency of the 'free' updates which costs are subsidized through initial purchase (or license) revenue for those devices)

401 - 420 of 448 Posts