Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

421 - 440 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
True enuf, but ....
  • Honda pays Garmin a fee to provide the nav systems for their vehicles (a license-fee for the firmware/software and its use, not suggesting Garmin provides the physical hardware).
  • There's a cost associated with Garmin 'packaging and delivering' subsequent map updates tailored to the Honda systems (just as there is a cost for Garmin to 'package and deliver' map updates tailored for their own branded devices, which happens to occur at much more frequent intervals than for the Honda systems).
  • For the period of 'free' map updates that cost is 'covered' by Honda through their license-fee agreement with Garmin. That agreement likely establishes the frequency that Garmin will 'package and deliver' updates to Honda's customers (the frequency of that effort likely having great bearing on the cost Garmin incurs to do that work, and therefore the price Honda pays Garmin for providing it to their customers, and therefore the price of Honda vehicles with nav paid by Honda's customers).
  • It's quite likely that Garmin is capable of 'packaging and delivering' Honda system map updates more frequently if someone wanted to foot-the-bill for that (witness the frequency of Garmin-branded device updates which cost during any period of 'free' updates, including 'lifetime', is factored into Garmin's consumer price for those devices).
I'm sure it's exactly this. But it frustrating to the end user when I have my portable Garmin (that is over five years old) getting updates about once every quarter and the Ridgeline does not. The maps are built, but I agree Honda's contract with Garmin probably specified exactly how many updates and when. My original post was more to point out the irony of Honda's own software telling me it's time for an update on the maps but not having one available for download.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
579 Posts
I don't know why map update are even marketable. Google maps is continuously updated without trying to pry a few bucks out of the customers. Garmins business model still looks like pre-internet. Smart phones almost killed garmin. Android auto will probably finish it off.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
I don't know why map update are even marketable. Google maps is continuously updated without trying to pry a few bucks out of the customers. Garmins business model still looks like pre-internet. Smart phones almost killed garmin. Android auto will probably finish it off.
Google Maps is a "two-way" product. Google uses your location data (even when you're not using the app) to provide real-time traffic information and makes money by selling collected information to others.

One-way products like portable and built-in navigation systems don't do this, so the manufacturer relies on selling map updates to fund their efforts.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
579 Posts
Google Maps is a "two-way" product. Google uses your location data (even when you're not using the app) to provide real-time traffic information and makes money by selling collected information to others.

One-way products like portable and built-in navigation systems don't do this, so the manufacturer relies on selling map updates to fund their efforts.
Yep. And Google has shown that people prefer to give up their privacy over giving up their money.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,924 Posts
I'm sure it's exactly this. But it frustrating to the end user when I have my portable Garmin (that is over five years old) getting updates about once every quarter and the Ridgeline does not.
Hey, I'm all with you, I got that same silly warning to no avail only a few days ago too!

My point was that fact likely belongs at Honda's feet, not Garmin's, just to be clear. I'm still getting 'free lifetime' quarterly updates on my Garmin Nuvi that I paid a song for many more than 5 years ago (y)

Though, must acknowledge, that the SYNC2 Ford's with nav (not Garmin) never got any 'free' map updates - they required an SD card update purchase from Ford :rolleyes: (updated annually at best)

Yep. And Google has shown that some people prefer to give up their privacy over giving up their money.
Fixed that for ya ;) :)

Reactions: SmilinSteve

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,920 Posts
This is triggered after one year has passed since the last map update. I just got this today, and of course, I had updated to 2020.0 last year at this time so even though I get the notice there is nothing for me to update.

It's sad that Honda only issues an update once a year (or even a little bit longer). In contrast, I purchased a Jaguar in August 2020 and I've already been notified by the car of three separate map updates (that I've downloaded and installed). There's no excuse for this since Garmin puts out their updates at least quarterly.
I updated roughly a year ago. It'll be five years that I've owned my Ridgeline next June. It seems to me that the annual Honda update is roughly in the fall or late summer. But I'm no expert on that point. If I update now, does anyone have any thoughts about whether this will likely be my last free update?

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
I got the update message about a month ago and tried to update the system but was told that it was current. I got the update message again yesterday. I hope that the update is available shortly. Also, before retiring, one of my duties was to update the navigation databases in all our corporate aircraft. That update came out every two weeks. Ours should be available much sooner than yearly.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up @Thunder Dump.

Done and done, I didn't time it but both steps took waaaay less time than warned. My rural home internet is via cellular, maybe just over 1 hour; the vehicle install took maybe ~12 minutes. Absolutely no hiccups whatsoever as always, I'm still using the same old FAT32 16GB 'stick' I've used every time.

EDIT to attach short-form instructions for the uninitiated ;) :)

Attachments

Reactions: crackjackx

·
Super Moderator
2,920 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up @Thunder Dump.

Done and done, I didn't time it but both steps took waaaay less time than warned. My rural home internet is via cellular, maybe just over 1 hour; the vehicle install took maybe ~12 minutes. Absolutely no hiccups whatsoever as always, I'm still using the same old FAT32 16GB 'stick' I've used every time.
View attachment 407426
View attachment 407427

EDIT to attach short-form instructions for the uninitiated ;) :)
I am blessed with a very fast gigabit FiOS internet connection, don't hate me! It took 4 minutes to download the update to my computer. And the whole thing took just under 30 minutes, including having to restart the navigation upgrade process at 8% when I inadvertently touched a button on the steering wheel, which for reasons unknown halted the upgrade. I always have a debate with myself about which USB port is it that you upgrade with? For those who may have a similar senior moment, it's the USB port on the dash near the cubby hole, not the one in center console. In other words, it's more like the Accord than it is like the Pilot.

This is likely the last free update that I'll get from Honda/Garmin, since they publish them annually. My five year anniversary with my Ridgeline is next June. So I decided to reach out to Garmin to find out how much it'll cost me to do map updates in the future. Their answer was interesting. They're awaiting a decision from Honda as to what will happen after five years. So I guess it's still possible that we'll be at least partially shielded from the full price that Garmin would want.

Reactions: CentexG2

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I always have a debate with myself about which USB port is it that you upgrade with? For those who may have a similar senior moment, it's the USB port on the dash near the cubby hole, not the one in center console. In other words, it's more like the Accord than it is like the Pilot.
FWIW I used the port in the center console for the entire NAV update process, same as I have in the past, never any problem doing that. I guess for me just a matter of habit - I never think to use the dash port for anything - probably because I don't care for visible cords.

My standard arrangement is a music stick in the hidden center console USB port and my phone stashed in the console, plugged into a 2xUSB high-rate charging adaptor in the 12V port down there, with nothing in the accessible dash ports other than the rare passenger needing a charge for their phone.

Oh, and no worries about the gigabit home internet connection, certainly no hate .... for me it's a very inconsequential tradeoff gladly suffered in return for the quiet life on 15 very rural acres ;) :)

This is likely the last free update that I'll get from Honda/Garmin, since they publish them annually. My five year anniversary with my Ridgeline is next June. So I decided to reach out to Garmin to find out how much it'll cost me to do map updates in the future. Their answer was interesting. They're awaiting a decision from Honda as to what will happen after five years. So I guess it's still possible that we'll be at least partially shielded from the full price that Garmin would want.
I'd wondered the same, as you can see by the screenshot above my "Map Care Expiration Date" is 4/26/2024 (my RL's "In Service Date" was 4/22/2019 so I guess there was a registration lag of a few days in there). Yes, an interesting reply on the future cost :unsure:, thanks for sharing what you were told.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
I seem to recall calling Garmin a few months ago and asking this question and was told "we don't have pricing at this time". All of the 2016 Pilots sold between June 18, 2015 and November 17, 2015 (approximately 60,000) are now over 5 years old. I'm waiting on someone on Piloteers.org to report pricing.

·
Super Moderator
2,920 Posts
I seem to recall calling Garmin a few months ago and asking this question and was told "we don't have pricing at this time". All of the 2016 Pilots sold between June 18, 2015 and November 17, 2015 (approximately 60,000) are now over 5 years old. I'm waiting on someone on Piloteers.org to report pricing.
I spoke with customer service, which may not always have the best info. Even so, this person spoke as if Garmin expected Honda's decision in the near future. Hopefully those Pilot owners will get an answer soon. I assume they were cut off from further updates. Does anyone know or have thoughts about whether that was carried out on anniversary of purchase date or perhaps end of calendar year?

UPDATE: I see @CentexG2's info implies that it is close to anniversary date.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Super Moderator
2,920 Posts
FWIW I used the port in the center console for the entire NAV update process, same as I have in the past, never any problem doing that. I guess for me just a matter of habit - I never think to use the dash port for anything - probably because I don't care for visible cords.
Huh, I tried the center console port first and it gave me the error message that it could not find the USB stick. After turning off the engine, I popped it into the lower-dash mounted port and it was recognized right away. Perhaps both ports work or perhaps Honda changed this somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Huh, I tried the center console port first and it gave me the error message that it could not find the USB stick. After turning off the engine, I popped it into the lower-dash mounted port and it was recognized right away. Perhaps both ports work or perhaps Honda changed this somewhere along the way.
USB ports can be finicky about the insertion angle of the stick / male plug .... sometimes not all the 'contacts' are made for a happy connection and one has to 'remove it and try again' .... perhaps that is in-play :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2,920 Posts
USB ports can be finicky about the insertion angle of the stick / male plug .... sometimes not all the 'contacts' are made for a happy connection and one has to 'remove it and try again' .... perhaps that is in-play :unsure:
Agreed. I did try wiggling and making sure it was firmly inserted but that had no effect. I prefer the other one anyway (but agree about the console port for wire connections).

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
I recall either my 2017 or 2019 didn't accept the map upgrade USB drive in the specified port - I had to use the other one.

·
Super Moderator
2,920 Posts
I recall either my 2017 or 2019 didn't accept the map upgrade USB drive in the specified port - I had to use the other one.
To add to the mystery, this is the same FAT32 32GB USB drive that I used last year. My recollection is that I used the console port last year.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Just did the 2021 update released this week on my 2017. Failed first time at 90% but second time successful at 91%. Took about 15mins each time.

421 - 440 of 448 Posts