Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
441 - 460 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
630 Posts
Updated my 2017 today. The download from Garmin took a couple hours last night. The transfer in vehicle took less than 14 minutes this morning. I have never run the engine while doing the update. Simply put in service mode by pressing start twice with my foot off the brake. Turn off headlights and HVAC to lessen battery drain.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't know why map update are even marketable. Google maps is continuously updated without trying to pry a few bucks out of the customers. Garmins business model still looks like pre-internet. Smart phones almost killed garmin. Android auto will probably finish it off.
Except you do pay - If you drive a lot you will find google, apple, and waze maps consume a fair amount of data. especially if you end up roaming for it out of network.
Using google satellite maps so the map looks "pretty" consumes a lot.
Then there is the whole targeted ads which dont bother me so much.

Ive run out of data a few times then when you get throttled they dont work well at all.

If you dont need real time feedback then using the built in map works great.

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
Except you do pay - If you drive a lot you will find google, apple, and waze maps consume a fair amount of data. especially if you end up roaming for it out of network.
Using google satellite maps so the map looks "pretty" consumes a lot.
Then there is the whole targeted ads which dont bother me so much.

Ive run out of data a few times then when you get throttled they dont work well at all.
You still have a limited data plan?

·
Registered
429 Posts
complicated - yes.

I had a family plan with 5 phone and it had unlimited data. The family grew up moved out so I scaled back the plan.
Without the big monthly nut and 2 phones the data became a line item.

My first guess on what the wife and I used came woefully short.
Add to this a dozen 1K trips over 2 months moving equipment and toys from So Cal- to Nor cal.
We used more than a normal amount of data for maps and podcasts, mail on the road etcetera.

I think I have the plan amount correct at this stage....

That said I have many international visitors that dont have data in the US and it becomes horrifically expensive to for them to use their phone maps.

Another reason to use the Garmin vs a phone is for mountainous off-roading or driving where the sat receiver works better than a cell tower. There are many dead zones cell wise in the Sierra Nevadas Ive come across, the Garmin works just fine but I cant get a call out or a map up.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,959 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,959 Posts
I do too. I have trained my family to use wifi and specific hotspots for everything, even calls. We have 8GB of data for the whole family and rarely use that up. The pandemic has made that easier; even so, we have only gone over once during the last 8 or 9 years. VZW is desperate to get me on an unlimited family plan, but it is more expensive for no real gain.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
I was on a limited data plan through AT&T for years for my iPhone and was paying $9X.XX per month. One day, I discovered that I could move to an unlimited plan and gain a "free" streaming TV service (which I never use) and lower my bill to $7X.XX per month. I could lower that to $5X.XX per month if I "downgraded" to prepaid service, but that's not for me.

·
Super Moderator
2,959 Posts
I was on a limited data plan through AT&T for years for my iPhone and was paying $9X.XX per month. One day, I discovered that I could move to an unlimited plan and gain a "free" streaming TV service (which I never use) and lower my bill to $7X.XX per month. I could lower that to $5X.XX per month if I "downgraded" to prepaid service, but that's not for me.
Yup. This is why every couple of years I call customer service and say I want to significantly reduce my bill and hint that I'm considering switching carriers. This call has taken over an hour before as we go through all the options. If I can save with unlimited I will switch. The truth is that I'm sort of stuck with Verizon because I'm in an AT&T dead zone and I've invested in a 4G Verizon signal booster. I'm probably about to buy an iPhone 12 Pro Max. My wife wants my 10 XS Max. This is how carriers lock in customers.

Reactions: Bill_R and zroger73

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone have a DRIVE out of space error on their NAV? I recently downloaded the update (done many times before) and this time when installing the map update I received an error that the maps could not install because the unit is out of space. First I've heard of this. I checked the USB drive and there is 18GB of space used on the 32GB USB drive. This would be a huge map update since most updates are 16GB.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Format your USB stick with FAT32, normal byte allocation, and fast format. Try again. The update files are only 7GB.

Reactions: brnbear

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the assist... turns out the update through the Garmin express app duplicated the installed data. Reformated and started over and it works.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I updated mine today using the USB stick that had my old map info on it. It took about 30 mins to download and 20-25 mins to install in the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm lucky to have a Tesla Model 3 and a 2019 Honda Ridgeline.

Got the notice to update the navigation system on the Honda, which I must say is just ridiculous considering it is 2020!

As all of you know, I had to format a 16 GB USB drive, plug it into the truck, then download the buggy Garmin software (worked on the third computer I had), spend an hour download the update, then putting the USB stick back in the truck for another hour long process.

Compare with my Tesla Model 3 which does OTA updates with little to no user interaction!

While I've long been a Honda fan (my first was a 1979 Civic!) it is easy to see why Tesla is overtaking the auto industry. The interface on the Ridgeline is a confusing mess and not uncommonly just doesn't work (especially with CarPlay.) Honda should be embarrassed with their current offerings!

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
Tesla almost has to have OTA updates and remote diagnostics because their service network is so limited. Also, the quality of their vehicles is at the bottom of the barrel.

You buy a Tesla for the performance and tech factor - not for practicality or reliability.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I don't see the 2019 Ridgeline listed on Garmin's site. Do we just use the 2019 Pilot?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I received a message from Honda: "Update your navigation system map today, quickly and easily. Download it yourself for free — no ordering is needed!"
UPDATE LINK

Or www.hondanavi.com/mapcare/em1220

Select year and model and off you go!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I don't see the 2019 Ridgeline listed on Garmin's site. Do we just use the 2019 Pilot?
Choose this option at the bottom of the list ....

Click Here for all other Honda Vehicle Map Update Instructions:

(y)

·
Super Moderator
2,959 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did the update on my 2017 RTL-T. All was going well until the update hit 85% then got “update failed” message. However I went into the menu and found that the 2021 maps were installed. Sure enough streets near me were updated. So I assume it’s all good. The system works at each startup. So if you get a failed message, check the map version. You may be OK.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Or just use this link:

I also have a 2017 RTL-E and just took a look at the instructions. I'm getting too old to follow all the back and forth steps along with the other instructions. (Gettin old sucks!). I really don't take long trips any more, so I'm just gonna leave my navigation alone. The original version that came with the truck will do just fine for my needs.

With all that said, this is a great forum for Ridgeline information from very friendly and helpful folks.

441 - 460 of 474 Posts