Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
461 - 474 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just updated my 2018 RTL-E. Used a 16 GB stick. About 1 minute in the truck the first time then about ten minutes on the computer then about ten minutes in the truck and I got a "MAP UPDATE FAILED" notice. I just turned the truck off and removed the stick. I immediately restarted the truck and again inserted the stick. Ten minutes later it said "MAP UPDATE SUCCESSFUL" It's 2021.

Not too painful.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did mine yesterday. Similar to Pete above: first trip to the truck plugged in the stick (32 GB), turned on truck and immediately got the confirmation, about 15 minutes on the computer, then about 8 minutes to load to the RL. Got a "successful" notice when done. No more than 30 minutes, including the long walk back and forth to the truck.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I successfully updated my 2019. No issues. 2021 Map is listed in there. I just need to figure out why I can't "talk" to the Honda navigation lady when my I phone is paired. It will not take any voice commands and it never did that before. I'll have to try un-pairing it and starting over.

·
Registered
370 Posts
For the last several days I was getting a message that a map update was available, go to ......
I decided to take a look to see what the update costs and to my surprise, my truck gats 5 years of free annual updates.
Si, I read the somewhat confusing but not terrible instructions on the Garmin / Honda website and was able to
Initialize a 16G USB thumb drive - that was very quick, a lot faster than the 60 seconds the instructions said to wait.
Took that device to the truck and downloaded current version and special key to it (I used the storage console USB port)
Back at my computer, iI installed Garmin Express and added new device. It took a few tries but finally the software recognized the drive and did a check for updates. It found the Honda device and I clicked on the commands to download the map data update. The instructions said that could take hours and when I started the load, the screen started at 4 hours estimated but quickly went to about 1 1/2 hour estimate. The download finished in under 40 minutes ( a lot depends on the internet speed I guess).
I took the drive back to the truck and followed the instructions on the Garmin website. The truck must be running and you are supposed to use the same USB port that you used to initialize the drive.

The instructions said the install of the new map data could take several tens of minutes. Once the upload started in the truck, the screen displayed an estimate of 1 hour 38 minutes,
The actual upload time was 10 1/2 minutes! That was a surprise.

Maps seem to be working. Will try navigation a little later today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not having much luck updating my map for the first time in my new '21. I'm on a Mac which may be complicated things. I've got a 16GB USB stick, formatted it to FAT32 using Disk Utility. Took it to the truck and it created the XML file on the drive. Put it back in my Mac and Garmin Express is not finding it. My computer sees it, but not Garmin Express. I've even tried putting the drive in a powered USB hub. Garmin just says "We couldn't find a device or ANT stick." I've had it search at least a dozen times. Any ideas?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not having much luck updating my map for the first time in my new '21. I'm on a Mac which may be complicated things. I've got a 16GB USB stick, formatted it to FAT32 using Disk Utility. Took it to the truck and it created the XML file on the drive. Put it back in my Mac and Garmin Express is not finding it. My computer sees it, but not Garmin Express. I've even tried putting the drive in a powered USB hub. Garmin just says "We couldn't find a device or ANT stick." I've had it search at least a dozen times. Any ideas?
While I can't help with your problem, if you've already got the 2021.0 maps installed those are the latest. Honda only releases updates once a year (even though Garmin provides monthly updates on their own products), usually in the fall (Oct/Nov). It might not work because Garmin hasn't updated their software to recognize that XML file since there have not been any updates yet introduced for MY21 vehicles. Now if you've got 2020.0 or older then definitely call Garmin.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Looks like this will likely be my last "free" update on my '17 RTL-E. Any idea what future updates will cost??

461 - 474 of 474 Posts