Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received a Honda flyer in the mail stating my GPS can be up dated . After reading the "how to" instructions , I can't believe what a poor , clunky , unhandy procedure . Let vehicle run for four hours , they are kidding , right ? It also states the dealer can update for you . Is this a pay for service and does it take them four hours to do also .

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
With 1Gbit residential broadband it took me less than an hour last year. Several G2 owners have posted that they disregarded the directions to leave the engine running.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I received a Honda flyer in the mail stating my GPS can be up dated . After reading the "how to" instructions , I can't believe what a poor , clunky , unhandy procedure . Let vehicle run for four hours , they are kidding , right ? It also states the dealer can update for you . Is this a pay for service and does it take them four hours to do also .
The last time I updated the Ridgeline, it took about 20 minutes, I did it while driving somewhere. I got a message a couple of days ago that it’s time to do it again. I’ll see how long this update takes.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The navigation update takes far less than 4 hours. I have done it three times and each one took around 1/2 hour; and no, I did not leave the truck running. Simply put the vehicle in service mode by pressing the start twice without putting my foot on the brake and started the update. It finished without issue and I had plenty of battery left when done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Use a higher quality USB stick and not the free one you got from Grandma's Easter Egg hunt or that work team building exercise. I've updated multiple times and can't remember it taking longer than 5-10 minutes in the truck using a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0. All thumb drives are not created equal. My last update was about 12.3GB. The two factors in play tend to be the speed of the memory on the stick and the interface available at both ends. Either one or both can cause severe limitations in the transfer.

·
Super Moderator
12,356 Posts
Moderator's note: Threads merged.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on 2020 update availability @SaveTheSharks.

This the second I've installed since getting my RL, went flawlessly per the easy instructions exactly as before, actual install time 12 minutes (SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 drive; files total only ~7GB this time). :)

BTW, I did it with my engine running and AC on, parked in my driveway. Ambient temp 99F (welcome to Texas on a cool summer day!), per Scangauge the TFT stabilized at 136F, coolant temp at 186F. If my radiator fan came on I never heard it inside the cabin. ;)

Yep, I'm lovin' my Ridgeline - waaay easier and more predictably frequent map updates than my previous Ford SYNC2 (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Use a higher quality USB stick and not the free one you got from Grandma's Easter Egg hunt or that work team building exercise. I've updated multiple times and can't remember it taking longer than 5-10 minutes in the truck using a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0. All thumb drives are not created equal. My last update was about 12.3GB. The two factors in play tend to be the speed of the memory on the stick and the interface available at both ends. Either one or both can cause severe limitations in the transfer.
Same stick I used a month+ ago & w/ a sim. time frame to update it.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Me too ( for both Accord and Ridge)! Had to reformat the flash drive I used twice before for the Ridge, but Accord worked without any issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't want to mess with it so, when I made an appointment for my last oil change, I also told them I wanted my maps updated on my 2018 RTLE as I had gotten the on screen notice. They refused to perform the update - said it was a customer responsibility. Not the first time I have had an issue with the service department so I am in the market for a new dealership. Would think that after I purchased two Ridgelines from them and have had all my maintenance done by them, that they would "allow" me to pay them to perform a task. Not so. o_O

·
Super Moderator
12,356 Posts
I didn't want to mess with it so, when I made an appointment for my last oil change, I also told them I wanted my maps updated on my 2018 RTLE as I had gotten the on screen notice. They refused to perform the update - said it was a customer responsibility.
Maybe you can show them this:

"Can I go to my Honda dealer for system updates?
Most dealers can update your navigation system. Please contact your dealer for more information. Service fees may apply."

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm having trouble with this. Would love it if anyone has suggestions.

I'm using a highly-regarded Sandisk Extreme 64gb stick. I had to dig up a utility to format it to FAT32 on a Windows 10 computer, but it shows up and works fine on that computer.

I insert it into the 2019 RTL-E's console compartment slot (not the one you'd connect CarPlay to).
Turn on engine to run (ridiculous, but that is what it says to do)
Go to Navigation, Settings, Device, Update
nothing happens. It doesn't freeze or anything, it just "accepts" the button tap but does nothing else. I waited over a minute, I tried the other USB jack (the one used for CarPlay), I tried it in ACC mode, etc.

The funny thing is I don't have any smaller capacity USB drives for easier FAT32 formatting, just more 64 and 128GB USB models. Should I go to the drug store and get a burner? This is pretty silly.

Thanks for any tips,

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm having trouble with this. Would love it if anyone has suggestions.

I insert it into the 2019 RTL-E's console compartment slot (not the one you'd connect CarPlay to).
There's the problem... Insert it into the the slot where you would normally connect carplay to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There's the problem... Insert it into the the slot where you would normally connect carplay to.
I updated mine through the console port. It was actually a bit weird -- it had no problems writing the version info, it had no problems copying the maps to the drive, but the update process itself claimed it failed --- only for me to find out on try #2 that it actually took on the first time.

141 - 160 of 177 Posts