Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a display on my dash that says "Tighten gas cap"??? I had burned nearly half a tank of gas so had been driving it a week before it came on...no way the cap was loose that long. I got out and tightened the cap, didn't seem to need it..and the prompt stayed on. I took it to my dealership and the service manager - really good guy - grinned and shrugged his shoulders - said that it'll go off by itself in a week or so - they had tried everything to clear it on another truck, even unhooked the battery - it's been about a week, still on - anybody ever heard of this?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I got a display on my dash that says "Tighten gas cap"??? I had burned nearly half a tank of gas so had been driving it a week before it came on...no way the cap was loose that long. I got out and tightened the cap, didn't seem to need it..and the prompt stayed on. I took it to my dealership and the service manager - really good guy - grinned and shrugged his shoulders - said that it'll go off by itself in a week or so - they had tried everything to clear it on another truck, even unhooked the battery - it's been about a week, still on - anybody ever heard of this?
This is a common know problem here we had it 3 times in just about 3 yrs of ownership. Use the search feature here & you will se alot. If it stays on a week maybe something could be wrong or not but in general it will fix itself in a few cycles.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My owner's manual for 2009 has a paragraph about basically the same thing IIRC. If it comes on, check the cap, but don't expect the light to go out for a few/several days. Go figure...

- Chip

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If it stays on more than a week you may want to check that the seal on the gas cap is not damaged, broken or dirty preventing a good air tight seal.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I just returned from a weekend trip and have 360 miles on the current tank of gas. I saw the same message today when driving to lunch- first time I've seen it in 4.5yrs of driving 2 Ridgelines. After work, I filled the tank and the message is gone....I won't address it unless it appears again.

·
Registered
721 Posts
It's also somewhat weather related. I saw the error for the first time in over a year when the temperature first turned cold and right after I filled up with, what I can only assume was, winter gas. It went away in a couple of days.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I saw this thread today....i'm getting an intermitten 'tighten gas cap' notice on the message center. it came on yesterday after about 30 minutes driving, and stayed on about 30 minutes as I drove home. After 2 start cycles it went off.
I took the gas cap off and inspected it and it looked like a new cap. (I just bought the truck) I cleaned the fill neck real well with a shop towel and put a little silicon spray on the cap seal.
The next day it came on again after about 5 minutes driving and stayed on until i arrived at my destination. It was still on as i started the engine again, stayed on to my next destination. After my next start cycle it went off.
It came on again during a short drive. It was still on for the next start cycle, and went off as i was driving to my next destination about 10 minute drive. Makes no sense!

·
Administrator
19,513 Posts
The vehicle has no idea if the gas cap is loose or not. This message appears when there is a pending DTC for "slow leak detected". One of the most common causes of a slow leak is the gas cap, but there can be other causes such as a leak in the filler, tank, or hose. Faulty solenoid valves can also be a cause. I'd buy a new genuine Honda gas cap from a dealer. If that didn't work, then it's time for a leak test.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok, thanks.
If there is a fuel leak there should be a smell of fuel somewhere around the truck...right? Or, an obvious decrease in fuel mph...It seems like i've noticed a gas tank 'gurgling' sound (not quite like fuel sloshing) when I pull into the garage and turn the vehicle off. Indicative of anything definitive ?
I just bought the truck (2013 Ridgeline , 2nd one) and the previous one didn't make this sound or have this message appear on the dash.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For what it’s worth, the ‘gas cap’ message seems to appear during or just after hard acceleration, like going up a steep hill for about 30 - 60 seconds. RPMs at about 3 - 4K .

·
Registered
272 Posts
Most likely the Purge Control Valve/Solenoid( The is a common cause of the tighten gas cap message)

NON-OEM

Here is the OEM part:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, I just found out that the evaporator canister was replaced by the car dealer just a few days before i bought it. Where is the canister physically located, and where is the purge solenoid located?
I've made a couple of short drives in it without getting the 'gas cap' message now. We'll see whether it comes back before doing anything.
Thanks for the input and feedback!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Youtube is your friend:

Keep in mind, the purge control valve part itself from 2009-2014 was redesigned a little, so the part in this video looks slightly different along with the location.( it‘s in the same general location and a very easy part to replace. Good Luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
mcmanut01 - very helpful video that you posted...thank you ! I would have been hunting for a while to locate that.
I made a 250 mile trip yesterday and the 'gas cap' message came on and went off a couple of times all by itself over the period of about 5 hours of driving. I guess a new gas cap it a cheap enough fix if it cures the problem.
Other than getting this obnoxious message, what is the downside of not fixing the problem? I seem to be getting reasonable gas mileage, and the engine seems to be performing just fine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It will have not impact in the performance of the vehicle and will not harm engine. If your state has emission inspection, they may require it to be fixed to pass the emission test.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts