Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my previous car was a Mazda 3(mistake to have bought it, different story though)... I was getting about 29mpg in my daily commute.

When I bought the R-L I was thinking, gas is $2.20, no problem, I can deal with a ~33% cost increase in my monthly fuel costs.

Then two days ago, when I filled up, it was $2.69. Wow... and I've JUST made my first payment in the truck. The price is shooting up fast!

I think my work needs to give me an adjustment for the fuel costs. :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
shingles said:
So, my previous car was a Mazda 3(mistake to have bought it, different story though)... I was getting about 29mpg in my daily commute.

When I bought the R-L I was thinking, gas is $2.20, no problem, I can deal with a ~33% cost increase in my monthly fuel costs.

Then two days ago, when I filled up, it was $2.69. Wow... and I've JUST made my first payment in the truck. The price is shooting up fast!

I think my work needs to give me an adjustment for the fuel costs. :D
In the 2000 presidential campaign Bill Clinton was told it was his responsibilty to make sure gas prices decline. The price...$1.89 here in California. Who told him he should do something? George W. Bush. Enjoy sub $3.00/gal while you can. We all will be thinking of these as "the good old days."

·
Registered
290 Posts
Crap, gas costs $2.57 in my area, but I know its little consolation, think about how much the Europeans pay, well over $5.00 a gallon. The sad thing is we cannot do much about the price, we have to pay it if we want to drive. There is no public transportation in my rural area. And we have to get to work.

·
Registered
311 Posts
rogerstruck said:
Crap, gas costs $2.57 in my area, but I know its little consolation, think about how much the Europeans pay, well over $5.00 a gallon. The sad thing is we cannot do much about the price, we have to pay it if we want to drive. There is no public transportation in my rural area. And we have to get to work.
Warning: rant ahead...

The lack of reliable public transportation is not just a rural problem. I lived in LA for twelve years, five of those as a student at UCLA without a car, and I've always been <insert word for insanely angry and frustrated> at the lack of reliable public transportation in one of the country's most developed and populated areas. Yes, there are busses there (and now a very limited subway), but it's literally impossible to get across town without having to transfer to many busses run by different agencies without a unified payment system. It's horrible, to say the least.

End rant.

·
Registered
460 Posts
rogerstruck said:
Crap, gas costs $2.57 in my area, but I know its little consolation, think about how much the Europeans pay, well over $5.00 a gallon. The sad thing is we cannot do much about the price, we have to pay it if we want to drive. There is no public transportation in my rural area. And we have to get to work.[/QUOT

same hear...........we are kinda over a barrell..........i bought the rl and thought i would be doing fine with the gas......can you believe im now concerned about being able to keep the truck. gas is getting close to almost doubling and im truely becoming concerned about the ownership cost. i know, maybe i shouldn't have bought it if thats all it takes to loose it....i just didn't see this coming. we are getting bled.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can remember paying $0.29.9 from 1969 until 1974. I nearly cried when I had to pay over $10 to fill up a VW Bug to drive to work. Gas went to $1.249 back then and after the embargo, it dropped to something around $0.799 and has been crepping up ever since. When it hits $3 and then drops
bach to $2.49 we will shout HURRAY and the crep will begin until the next crisis. Did anyone see the flic on Turner South with George C Scott and
Marlon Brando about the Genesis Project that Nazi Germany was supposed to have used during WW II? It was a coal gassification process that converted
coal to gasoline. The big Oil companies, in the flick with Brando in charge bought up the formula and knocked off anyone interested in making the formula public or bought some one interested off if they wanted to restart the project. TROUTH OR FICTION, If trouth, then we are using up the Arabs
oil and when they are low and the price is right, coal gassification will begin. Why, we are supposed to have the biggest coal researves in th world.
But there is another problem, refining, where will the environmentalist allow
us to build another? The refining capacity is one part of the problem, with the demand of India, and China, plus the greed by the oil companies that is driving up prices. In the late 60's or early 70's my brother staffed the last
refinery built in the US, at Joliet Ill. Refineries have added capacity since, but there is a need for more capacity. :eek:

·
Registered
536 Posts
One problem is the insurance industry.

You pay insurance per car not per driver. ALthough I have not been able to figure out how to drive two cars at one time.

I need a truck for weekend fun and towing and Home Depot, etc. During the week I would love to drive a hybrid BUT it's cheaper to own one truck and pay high gas bills rather than to own two cars, insure them both and suffer depreciation on both.

·
Registered
762 Posts
rogerstruck said:
Isn't a lot of what the Europeans pay in their gas price taxes? I realize we pay a chunk of taxes with each gallon too, but it seems like they have several dollars in taxes on theirs. They still have to pay it but that is more of a self inflicted price.

-Trevor

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
TexFromKansas said:
.63 cents a gallon in Kuwait
.05 cents a gallon in Iraq
And there is near 0 cost for moving the product, There is probably 0 cost of taxes on the product. And it is a government product and they have what they consider to be unlimited supply. Consider it employee pricing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
H&A
True Europeans do pay a hell of alot of taxes on their gas thats governemnt imposed taxes, not the people. In th UK every year at "budget time< you can expect increases in gas prices, beer & tobacco. They have no choice but to pay the things just like us. But they also earn high wages to compensate for their higher cost of living. These days the people travel many mile to get to work, they are all moving out of the citys to the country side to save money on their home. The cost of living is generally very high for every item you need to live.I must admit, alot of the taxes go to support highways, health care & of course their social systems. I left europe more that 30 years ago, I have not regretted working & living in the great US. I am also a proud US citizen for many years. this is the greatest country in the world. But this thread is really not about Europe gas prices, but our high gas prices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts