Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't used the truck much this winter but have been using it recently. I noticed when idling there was a faint gas odor in the cab. I believe that I posted about this once before as part of another thread. Now yesterday, it was faint but noticeable (not normal) in the garage after the truck had been turned off for a few minutes. The tank is about 1/4 full. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
What are the temps like in your area? Maybe cold gas, bring it inside, and as it warms, it vents into the garage?

I haven't used the truck much this winter but have been using it recently. I noticed when idling there was a faint gas odor in the cab. I believe that I posted about this once before as part of another thread. Now yesterday, it was faint but noticeable (not normal) in the garage after the truck had been turned off for a few minutes. The tank is about 1/4 full. Any ideas?

·
Registered
290 Posts
OMG, i'm not the only one. I experience this issue as well. First I thought it was me or my shoes, but I do smell a faint gas odor. My G2 is only a few months old. I should take it to the dealer but trying to duplicate the issue will be next to impossible. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess it wouldn't hurt to take it to the dealer but I wouldn't expect much from them. Took it out again today and no smell at all. Then when in the garage after being parked for a few minutes, you can definitely smell it under the hood. I remote started the truck for a minute or so and no smell under the hood and no smell when it was initially parked only after it sits. Must be minor but not normal. Temps here today are in the 40's. Tank around 1/4 now but on the initial fill, I overfilled the heck out of it (gas deal).

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
You overfilled your gas tank? On many vehicles including the GenI (I don't know about the GenII) you can add quite a bit more after the automatic click off. This seems like a nice bonus! . . .The problem is, however, that you are actually filling up the charcoal canister for the fuel tank emissions system. This not only damages the canister but it could well lead to lingering gas fumes.

Perhaps this is your issue??

·
Registered
290 Posts
You overfilled your gas tank? On many vehicles including the GenI (I don't know about the GenII) you can add quite a bit more after the automatic click off. This seems like a nice bonus! . . .The problem is, however, that you are actually filling up the charcoal canister for the fuel tank emissions system. This not only damages the canister but it could well lead to lingering gas fumes.

Perhaps this is your issue??
for me definitely not. once the gas clicks i stop, plus i hardly fully fill up the tank anyways. the gas smell comes and goes I cannot distinguish when it comes on.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
Pilot and CR-V owners have complained about this as well. On the CR-V, there were at least two causes - one was a malformed hose causing a leak on some 17 CR-Vs and the other was the odor of fuel permeating the material of a hose (I believe on the '15s and '16s). Some Pilots had poorly-manufactured gas tanks that leaked.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I overfilled it over a month ago, it should have evaporated by now I would hope. Yeah, I was stupid but had a grocery deal to get around 2 bucks off of 20 gallons. I had a gas can with me for the remainder being the cheapie that I am. If you smell from outside the car when the engine if off and warm, smell is evident from the passenger side front. I don't even know where the canister is on this truck but no smells from the back or exhaust. No smell at all on a cold, idling engine. I don't use the truck much, 6900 miles in 17 months. I am very picky, I like cars that track straight have no leaks/smells and good brake pedals/throttle response and no unusual noises. Not too concerned about tech and creature comforts. The only cars I never complained about were from decades ago, my Dad's 91 Legend, my 87 Mustang GT and my sister's 86 Prelude Si.

·
Registered
2017 RTS White
289 Posts
I overfilled it over a month ago, it should have evaporated by now I would hope. Yeah, I was stupid but had a grocery deal to get around 2 bucks off of 20 gallons. I had a gas can with me for the remainder being the cheapie that I am. If you smell from outside the car when the engine if off and warm, smell is evident from the passenger side front. I don't even know where the canister is on this truck but no smells from the back or exhaust. No smell at all on a cold, idling engine. I don't use the truck much, 6900 miles in 17 months. I am very picky, I like cars that track straight have no leaks/smells and good brake pedals/throttle response and no unusual noises. Not too concerned about tech and creature comforts. The only cars I never complained about were from decades ago, my Dad's 91 Legend, my 87 Mustang GT and my sister's 86 Prelude Si.
Hey there fellow Capital District.. I see you play the Price Chopper "gas game" too.. I hate marketing gimmicks, rebates etc but if you don't play they win both ways :(

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
Generally, once liquid fuel enters a charcoal canister it must be replaced. It's designed to temporarily store gasses, not liquids. It can take a LONG time for liquid fuel to evaporate from a charcoal canister.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey there fellow Capital District.. I see you play the Price Chopper "gas game" too.. I hate marketing gimmicks, rebates etc but if you don't play they win both ways :(

Holy crap, another White RTS in Albany. These are collector trucks now.:wink: If I actually see one, it must be yours. Yeah, PC has a good scam going for those that take less than 20 gallons. Can't even come close with our other Hondas.

·
Registered
2017 RTS White
289 Posts
Holy crap, another White RTS in Albany. These are collector trucks now.:wink: If I actually see one, it must be yours. Yeah, PC has a good scam going for those that take less than 20 gallons. Can't even come close with our other Hondas.
Got mine at Mohawk Honda July 2017. None in the area. Found one in Buffalo. Had 274 on the odo. Little more than 4,000 now. No issues yet.. Previous ride was a 01 Ranger Edge 4x4. I really liked it but had to move on and this RL fits my life so much better.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got mine at Mohawk Honda July 2017. None in the area. Found one in Buffalo. Had 274 on the odo. Little more than 4,000 now. No issues yet.. Previous ride was a 01 Ranger Edge 4x4. I really liked it but had to move on and this RL fits my life so much better.
I purchased a 14 Accord and 15 CRV from Mohawk and the salesman always kept in touch. They told me sticker on the RL. They then came down a little but I got a better deal at Lia in Brewster. Albany Lia wouldn't get involved. I also have purchased 2 Hondas from Rensselaer and they told me sticker too. So much about relationships. I then referred my neighbor to Lia and we each got $125 gift cards. It was painless with Lia, two phone calls over a a few minutes and picked up the car a few days later. I'm not fond of Mohawk Service either. Mostly unpleasant outcomes, all they seem to care about are their surveys and cross selling. I liked them much better when they were at the old location. I had a 93 Ranger XL and loved it, but once the kids came we took the minivan route for a decade.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Pilot and CR-V owners have complained about this as well. On the CR-V, there were at least two causes - one was a malformed hose causing a leak on some 17 CR-Vs and the other was the odor of fuel permeating the material of a hose (I believe on the '15s and '16s). Some Pilots had poorly-manufactured gas tanks that leaked.
Hey Zroger, thanks for this insight. Do you think I should bring RL in and inform them of this smell?

·
Registered
2017 RTS White
289 Posts
I purchased a 14 Accord and 15 CRV from Mohawk and the salesman always kept in touch. They told me sticker on the RL. They then came down a little but I got a better deal at Lia in Brewster. Albany Lia wouldn't get involved. I also have purchased 2 Hondas from Rensselaer and they told me sticker too. So much about relationships. I then referred my neighbor to Lia and we each got $125 gift cards. It was painless with Lia, two phone calls over a a few minutes and picked up the car a few days later. I'm not fond of Mohawk Service either. Mostly unpleasant outcomes, all they seem to care about are their surveys and cross selling. I liked them much better when they were at the old location. I had a 93 Ranger XL and loved it, but once the kids came we took the minivan route for a decade.
Yeah, Mohawk service is sketchy as are most dealers but did better on price than Rensselaer or Keeler and were closest to me. Wife bought last car from Lia Albany didnt care for them.. hoping for a trouble free 3 years, after that I have a trusted mechanic. Good luck with yours too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
ok, I called my honda dealer and the service tech did confirm that he's heard of the issue on the CR-V's but not on the RL. I think he said there was an actual recall on the CR-V on this. Of course he says they have to duplicate the problem which I told him that will be next to impossible as I don't know when it happens. Anyways, he said they'll still check the fuel lines. My appt is on Friday and will post results.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
ok, I called my honda dealer and the service tech did confirm that he's heard of the issue on the CR-V's but not on the RL. I think he said there was an actual recall on the CR-V on this. Of course he says they have to duplicate the problem which I told him that will be next to impossible as I don't know when it happens. Anyways, he said they'll still check the fuel lines. My appt is on Friday and will post results.
There are recalls for the Pilot's leaky fuel tank and the CR-V's leaky fuel line (both of which can obviously result in a fuel odor), but the CR-V's fuel odor was addressed in a service bulletin:

"On some 2015-2016 CR-V vehicles a fuel or engine-type smell may come from the climate control unit while driving or at idle. The most probable cause is that fuel smell may permeate the PCV hose rubber. To correct the problem, replace the PCV hose."

I can't find any information on fuel leaks/odors for the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well the service tech could not duplicate smell. Surprise surprise. The only way for them to find out was to strip the engine which required me to leave the truck for the day which I wasn’t prepared to do. For now they told me to monitor it and see what the circumstances are when the smell comes back. All wasn’t lost though as the tech found a mouse nest underneath the engine cover made up of fabric. He thinks it was from the carpet. Anyways they’re not sure if the smell of gas was a result of this mouse causing any damage inside. I already inquired about this mouse issue on another thread that was previously posted. Apparently cannot prevent them from entering the engine compartment or any other places in the truck. I removed the cover and started to put a lot of drops of peppermint oil on the cloth like material attached underneath the cover and hope that deters these creatures. Let’s hope there’s no major rodent damage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fuel/Oil/Exhaust Smell Inside Cabin / Outgassing in Garage

Since purchasing our 2017 Honda Ridgeline, we have been experiencing intermittent noxious fuel/fumes/exhaust odors in the cabin as well as significant fuel outgassing in our garage. The Ridgeline has been to Frontier Honda Service on four occasions for attempted repair; however, the service technicians, although able to smell it, cannot identify the root of the problem or establish its cause.

For safety reasons, we will not put our family in the truck as we cannot be assured that carbon monoxide and other noxious gases are not filling the cabin. We are also afraid to park the vehicle in our garage because of fuel outgassing and the possibility of an explosion. The truck has been extensively disassembled by a number of technicians and has had various systems inspected and flushed to no avail.

Both our local dealership and American Honda ‘cannot guarantee the safety’ of our new Honda Ridgeline. We have appreciated all of the efforts and open communication with our local Service Manager; however, at his direction, we opened a case with American Honda on 04/14/18. Our District Case Manager, James, finally called and left a message on 04/23/18. I called him 3 times again and finally heard back on 04/26/18. He told us that he was not willing to provide any sort of safety guarantee and that because technicians could not recreate the smell (which is not true because it’s even stated on our repair invoices that they smelled it), that Honda was not able to fix it. He also denied us the use of a rental car in the meantime. He called again today and stated that a regional technician would be available to inspect it on 05/18/18. So we are supposed to leave our brand new Ridgeline sitting in the driveway for a month because we have no assurance that it is safe!

This is our first experience with Honda. We are understandably frustrated and very disappointed to be in this situation - which has been incredibly worrying, time-consuming and stressful. Has anybody else been experiencing these noxious gases and outgassing on the new model Honda Ridgeline? Has anybody received this type of response from Honda? For a company that prides itself on safety, this is highly concerning and disturbing.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts